New Build For Camper Conversion - Please Critique

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi Everyone,

I'm building up to buying a new Kombi for a gradual conversion to camper. The van will be used for daily driving as a 2nd car as well as camping and I've got a decent plan as to how to run the conversion however options for the base van are.... bewildering.... especially as the configurator has been unstable for last month due to MY updates. SO I thought Id post my build here and get some expert views :). Some of the options are ofc nice to haves (LEDs..... 4 motion etc) but more interested in any critical things im missing that will affect ease of conversion. Anyway, here goes (code here: N2AZ55N7), its a 150hp 4motion highline with summary of options below:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking (Max speed 99mph)
LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights
Folding wing mirrors; body coloured, power adjustable and power folding
Discover Media Navigation system
Hill start assist/hill descent control
App Connect
Carpet flooring in cab
Differential lock
Fuel tank with a volume of 80l
Front and rear parking sensors with rear-view camera
Power latching for passenger side sliding door
Comfort dashboard with wide center console and bottle compartment
High Beam Assist
Tyre mobility kit in lieu of spare wheel:12-volt compressor and tyre sealant
Airbag's - side and curtain for driver and front passenger
LED tail lights
Swivel seat: Passenger (not height-adjustable)
Swivel seat: Driver (not height-adjustable)
Heated driver and front passenger seats
Mudflaps front and rear
Power latching for tailgate

There are a few other bits and bobs I'm not sure on:
  • Electrical interface Multi-function control module for external use (not sure what this is.... will it help me add camper electrics later?
  • Insulated Rear Window (worth it given the rest of the van is insulated?)
  • Back Panel Drivers Side window (seems to be missing on configurator but pretty sure you can get this from factory)
All views welcome!

My conversion started off with a Highline panel van but if I was in your shoes, I can’t thing of anything else I’d add. Other than the colour - what is the colour??

- Electronic interface was covered in a topic here recently - search and you should find it - I can’t recall if the van owner found it useful or not.

- Insulated windows (assuming these are the double glazed units) are said to be pointless by some, but can be handy in a camper in regards to window condensation.

- I believe additions such as the LED headlamps, the power latching and the heated seats will be cheaper now than they would if you retrofitted them, so go for it.
Will you need a bike rack? If so, owners often choose a removable tow-bar mount (as opposed to a roof-mounted unit) so they can add a spoiler at a later date as well as utilise the towbar if circumstances dictate. Getting that done at build will mean the electrics are installed in to the loom (that may cover my first point).

- power doors: do you want doors that open on a button or are you happy slumming it like the rest of us and using the hands God gave you to push that tailgate / sliding door shut (power latching just pulls it shut if you don’t close it properly).

- auxiliary heater: do you want to add either an engine pre-heater or a night heater now or later on?

- clean: tell your dealer not to wash your van and instead get it booked in for a ceramic coating straight from the factory.

Again, there will be others with more suggestions, I’m sure.

Im thinking Starlight blue. I quite like the Bamboo green but my wife has kindly informed me "its a bit old man" :).
  • I've searched already for electrical interface. Couldnt find anything clear but ill look again.
  • On the insulated windows I like mountains so was planning to go "serious" with the insulation as temps can be quite low in autumn up there - and seems a bit dumb to do that and then have leaky windows.
  • I've checked retrofit options for the lights, latching etc and yeah - its expensive as a retro (not essential items but i do want them!)
  • Id actually prefer hand operated doors - power latching seems like a good plan for when the kids are asleep in the poptop tho
  • On the bike rack, yep - will probably fit one but with a tailgate (& future poptop) I was going to leave it until later to factor into the poptop i choose (tending towards a Hilo but not 100% decided).
  • Aux heater - I was planning to retrofit tbh.... Any big advantage in going for factory? I had heard that the factory unit was basically the same as retrofitted minus some of the remote control options
Thanks for the suggestions! Im new to this and whilst im pretty confident I've researched well that doesnt beat practical experience - so any input very welcome.

Looks good! :thumbsup: Just a couple of comments:

If you go for aftermarket swivel seats, you can keep the height adjustment. You can also then add the electric lumbar support option which is not available when you spec VW swivel seats.

Not sure if you can have curtain airbags if you intend to cut a hole in the roof for an elevating roof. You need to check this.

D.

Looks good! :thumbsup: Just a couple of comments:

If you go for aftermarket swivel seats, you can keep the height adjustment. You can also then add the electric lumbar support option which is not available when you spec VW swivel seats.

Not sure if you can have curtain airbags if you intend to cut a hole in the roof for an elevating roof. You need to check this.

D.

Really good point - I hadnt considered that as a problem - definitely needs considering as I'm definitely getting a pop top down the line. I just thought that as a daily driver - makes sense to have the safety extras.

I'm not too bothered on the height adjust for seats (personally).

• When you search, the sub-forum you are in is automatically selected, so you may have missed out on results. See here for search results.
  • On the subject of leaky windows, if you don’t need windows that open, owners will advise you to select solid glass, in order to avoid leaking sliding windows.
  • The bike rack shouldn’t affect the roof you choose, as it clips on to the top edge of the tailgate (or the towbar). Spoiler to be considered. Tailgate mounted racks also leave paint scratches.
  • Depending on the type of heater, you may prefer to have the OEM look, as per this link
  • bloody phone.

Depending on the type of heater, you may prefer to have the OEM look, as per this link
Fitting the OEM Auxillary Heating Ductwork

Yeah, cool thread and it does seem pretty involved stuff. Personally our use case for the heater is likely to be at night time in camper mode. In which case I'm not sure that the "proper" VW ducting adds a lot of value. I've heard of people just having a heater under the front seat I believe (albeit perhaps this is with a bench setup)? With decent insulation - should provide much the same heating id think (and a LOT easier to fit).

The only thing I can think that you don’t seem to have on the list which I regret not doing is tow bar prep. You may never actually want, or need, an actual tow bar but for the cost I think the prep is worthwhile just in case.
Bamboo green is a great colour, looks blue in some light and green in other we love it.

When you search, the sub-forum you are in is automatically selected, so you may have missed out on results. See here for search results.

Useful info - thanks.

I had actually found most of those threads via google already but unless im being dumb (possible) none of them actually explain what the electrical interface is needed for (nvm the multifunction unit). Aside from a couple of references to being used for air suspension and dash cams.

So I'm ordering tomorrow!:
  • Transporter Kombi SWB T32 Highline 150bhp 4 Motion
  • Starlight Blue Metallic
  • Swivel Seats
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Body Coloured Electric Folding Mirrors
  • LED Front & Rear Lights
  • Glazed Tailgate
  • Discover Media Navigation System
  • Tow bar Prep
  • App Connect
  • In Cab Carpet
  • Diff Lock
  • Front & Rear Sensors
  • Rear View Camera
  • Electrical interface and multi-function control module for external use
  • Power Latching side door
  • Power Latching tailgate
  • Comfort Dash
  • High Beam Assist
  • Inflation Kit in lieu of Spare wheel
  • Heated Seats
  • Mudflaps Front & Rear
  • Hill start assist/hill descent control
  • 80L Fuel Tank
Cash price of £40,020 (~15% off list).

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Super useful and I took some of the advice (towbar prep and airbag).

When I get the van in October I'll post some pics.

The two things I don’t have but wish I did (bought a panel van second hand and converted it to a camper) is LED lights and aircon. This recent good weather and no aircon has been a struggle at times

Last edited:
The two things I don’t have but wish I did (bought a panel can second hand and converted it to a camper) is LED lights and aircon. This recent good weather and no aircon has been a struggle at times

Yeah i looked at the price of retrofitting many of the options I chose and LED retro price was crazy (~3k). Sod that...

I was told that to have a steering wheel button to activate app connect (you can alternatively shout ‘hey Siri, if you have this function on) I would need to add voice control... the VW voice control for other stereo/call functions is absolute pants but it is great having the button to place app connect calls etc... I also wish I’d payed a small amount for the towbar prep, but my extras were already running to around £8000 and I couldn’t take anymore!

Back