New Battery - what Ah & spec?

@Loz. That's much appreciated. I'm going to see how it goes for now but it's always good to know that the backup is there when needed.

have a look here:

Hi, I am a bit ignorant about battery outputs, Which battery for 140bhp t6 4 motion, looking at the current battery it is a Varta 68Ah 380DIN, looking around I am only seeing 74Ah, so is it ok to go for higher amp hours, I assume this is how long the battery will last for?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Hi, I am a bit ignorant about battery outputs, Which battery for 140bhp t6 4 motion, looking at the current battery it is a Varta 68Ah 380DIN, looking around I am only seeing 74Ah, so is it ok to go for higher amp hours, I assume this is how long the battery will last for?

Sorry for my ignorance.

As long as it fits in the battery tray (check the dims are the same) bigger Ah is normally better. AGM preferred.

It’s time for a new battery for my T6 150 DSG. It’s the original Varta 75ah and it’s 5 years old now the factory original. I’ve had the usual checks and there is no discharge and the alternator is working well. These cold mornings it just about starts and I am in and out of the back all day so the interior lights are working regularly and if I’m doing short journeys with everything running it struggles.

I’m rather confused as to what’s available as I wanted to upgrade to something like 95aH. Enquiring at Halfords he said I could have only their brand with 80aH. We then had a bit of a heated discussion and I left thinking of leaving the guy with a toilet roll to wipe his mouth. I didn’t do any better at Euro Car Parts either as like Halfords if you put in your reg it only comes up with one option. I didn’t find my local dealer helpful either.

What’s everyone fitting? Any tips or recommendations welcome. I’m not after a cheapie, I want a decent brand and just want a bit more capacity and something that will fit.

The largest battery that will physically fit without modifications is the 019 style. These give you around 95Ah and 850A starting current.
Bosch S5A13, Exide EK950, Varta G14, Yuasa YBX9019 etc etc

Always look at Tayna or Battery Megastore for cheap batteries, way less than the likes of Amazon, Halfords and :eek::eek: Euro Car Parts..
Don't forget that any change of battery requires a reprogramming of the ECU battery regulation module to let the van know what it's got in it.

I changed my battery yesterday with a lot of help from forum members, using information from the below thread.

Had VW Assist out to an adblue issue last week, lurking in his van were new batteries and guess what they were? His description the all singing all dancing updated Moll please draw your own conclusions.

Just purchased a new Varta G14 Silver Dynamic AGM Car Battery: Type 019 battery from these guys Battery Megastore (as mentioned above)
Happy with the price and delivery, even got an extra 5% off voucher.

My old battery is 68Ah so hoping the extra amperage to 95Ah & the increase in cold cranking amps to 850 will help! :unsure:

Edit: - A good start, after receiving my new battery the resting voltage available was showing 12.65v on the multimeter, after charging this increased to 13.65v. My old battery never went above 12.35v after being fully charged (I accept its still connected to the van).

Last edited:
Hi guys

Had to put a new battery last weekend, is it detrimental if I don’t code it ? I thought my Carista would do it but I don’t seem to be able to find the option snd I need to do 200miles tomorrow

If the battery you are installing is the same specs as the old one you are taking out then you can just swap it out and not do anything else but any 'learning' that the ECU has done whilst the old battery was in use (capacity drop over time etc) will take some time to be 'un-learnt' as it were. just a lot easier to reset everything and it can start afresh with the new battery and its expected characteristics.
This is the reason for the serial number being recorded, a like for like change wouldn't change any of the other parameters (capacity/manufacturer/type) but the different serial number tells the ECU that a new battery has been fitted and that's how it knows to reset to initial charging and usage profiles.
You may lose things like window auto close by disconnecting the battery but nothing that can't be relearnt/reprogrammed without the use of VCDS/Carista/OBD11.

I decided to go with the RAC for £244.00 and they came to my home and done it in about 20mins. Also checked the alternator. They fitted a Varta 80a which is similar to the existing one. Dealer wanted £424 for the same battery!

Hi all, to add my experience, I have just replaced my 75a original battery and replaced it with an 80a Bosch a13 £145 bought from Tayna as recommended in this and other threads.

I used carista for battery registration, you need the beta version of the app which you can get by following a link.

Bosch battery does not have a bem code label so you use the first or last 10 digits of the long number under the barcode, not terribly important as long as it's different from the number in its memory, which in my case as many other forum members was inputted by vw in the factory as 1111111111.
As long as its a different number it knows you have changed the battery.

Ps....My van 2017 150 dsg factory kombi and it retained radio stations and electric window functions etc despite the battery being disconnected for the swap.

Reactions: KR.
Back