New 12v socket has killed 2 USB adaptors [Resolved]

Sackmycook

Ex-owner
T6 Legend
Trying out all my newly installed (not by me) sockets today and one of the 12v seems faulty. Tried a plug in cigarette style usb adaptor with a small led light and it made a strange pop noise, no illumination. As this was a cheapo adaptor, tried a Tomtom spare and same thing happened.
The other 2 retro installed 12v sockets are fine as are all the dash ones and all USB's.
I'm guessing this socket may be faulty. Will it have it's own (hidden) fuse behind a panel? Everything in the sargant fusebox looks ok.

Trying out all my newly installed (not by me) sockets today and one of the 12v seems faulty. Tried a plug in cigarette style usb adaptor with a small led light and it made a strange pop noise, no illumination. As this was a cheapo adaptor, tried a Tomtom spare and same thing happened.
The other 2 retro installed 12v sockets are fine as are all the dash ones and all USB's.
I'm guessing this socket may be faulty. Will it have it's own (hidden) fuse behind a panel? Everything in the sargant fusebox looks ok.
It should be wired from the fuse box/bus bar. Can you follow the wiring, or just remove that socket. It still has power by the sound of it, so won't be a fuse issue.

Is it exactly like your others as friend of mine thought his were all the same and he wired them In when his didn’t work we found that one had the positive and neg round the wrong way

Not really confident about digging around with electrics ! The sargant fusebox and this problem socket are on the same clipped panel, so bit nervous about taking it off....20210328_185539.jpg

Cheers guys, I'd love to sort this myself if possible. What would be the procedure ?
--- Disconnect battery or just keep controller for leisure/vehicle battery charger off ?
---prise off edge cover and remove fixing screws ?
---swap wires ?

Ok, I wouldn't rush to swap the wires over until you know they are wrong, and a voltmeter will tell you that very quickly.

Pete

Not really confident about digging around with electrics ! The sargant fusebox and this problem socket are on the same clipped panel, so bit nervous about taking it off....View attachment 110354
On those sockets, the frame around the edge just unclips/pops off (prise it gently with that screwdriver). Then the socket will pop out and expose the wires - check the polarity. The wires will just be attached with push on connectors.

If you carefully put the screwdriver point on the centre of the socket all the way in, and touch the end on the handle and touch an earth point in the van it may work if it lights up the pos and beg are right way round

Back