[Netflix] VW Emissions Scandal

I watched it last night with my wife.

Very disappointed in VW, the Monkey emissions testing was a poor choice for a study.

While i knew a little about the emissions issue before i ordered, if i was about to order knowing what i know now, i would be looking elsewhere.

My wife is quite unhappy about this.

Crooks

CEO at time. said he was down to 2 software engineers He did not know it was going on
That pr!!ck got 13 million payoff

That's the way with CEO's.
They either come in make massive changes that look good short term, leave and take a massive bonus leaving a trail of shite behind or mess up so badly and get a massive chunk of money when given the boot.

I watched it last night - that's 1 1/4 hours of my life I'll not be getting back! I should have turned it off as soon as they showed a clip of a 2CV (I guess the Americans think VW made those too).

In defence of VW, all the manufacturers produce software calibrations that achieve their best results during the test cycle and (allegedly) somewhat exploit conditions that are not tested. If you have a steady engine load similar to that of cruising, you can then operate the EGR, retard the injection timing and thus clean up the emissions. As soon as the vehicle hits the road, the load on the engine is changing continuously (if you don't believe me, plug in your VCDS, get on a flat straight road, hit cruise control and watch the engine load continuously change) so injection timing, EGR operation etc is always changing to compensate which really screws up the emissions . If the documentary is correct, the biggest mistake that VW made was retrospectively changing the calibration to look for steering angle input which was a bit naughty.

Even before the VW scandal had happened, this was recognised by both the regulation writers and the vehicle manufacturers who have been collaborating so that realistic emissions would be tested in a test that simulated actual driving much more closely.

I watched it last night - that's 1 1/4 hours of my life I'll not be getting back! I should have turned it off as soon as they showed a clip of a 2CV (I guess the Americans think VW made those too).

I saw that and had to remind it (Rewind!! Old school word)

Might watch the Donald Trump one next.

I fell asleep and woke up to some b*****d killing monkeys - his little face will haunt me.

It turns out that the beaten up old Ford F150 was actually less harmfull to them than the Beetle!

Germany's Bild newspaper cited a 58-page US laboratory report and accompanying emails Wednesday indicating that a VW Beetle's exhaust fumes piped to monkeys inside cabinets over four hours were worse than exhaust gases from a Ford pickup truck.

I'm not sure how true that is.....a colleague of mine followed my 1966 Land Rover for about ten miles last year and had to take paracetamol afterwards because he felt so ill!!

I'm not sure how true that is.....a colleague of mine followed my 1966 Land Rover for about ten miles last year and had to take paracetamol afterwards because he felt so ill!!

Thats because he was green with envy for your 1966 Landy

Back