Need The Front Slightly Lower, Hub Mod?

MatT6

T6 Pro
Hi folks. I have 40mm springs on my van. I am really happy with the back but the front is slightly higher than I'd like. I hate reverse rake.

What are my options except buying coilovers or buying a set of 60mm springs and using the fronts only?

My mate with a T5 mentioned the hub mod but I have searched on here and not found much.

:)

The hub mod involves loosening the hub around the suspension strut and sliding it up until it hits the brake pipe bracket. You'll gain a few cm's but you can only do this on a T28 or T30. It isn't possible to do on a T32 as the struts are different.

You have to grind iut the bottom bracket which clamps around the damper as it has a lip. This will allow the damper to drop through the the clamp a bit more.

The front hubs can be modified to allow the shock to slide through more than designed . caution with this because the shock mustn't get close to the drive shaft ( remember the drive shaft CV rubber does expand at speed ) , the shock it self also needs modifying as the brackets will need to be removed and re mounted higher .
Changing the front springs is probably the easiest ( and safest ) alternative
Lifting the rear is very easy but sounds like that isn't an option for you

Hi lads I’ve had my t5.1 lowered for about a year now using Jim blueline coliovers they are very good for the cost just the front not low enough so I have decided to do the hub mod I used a 60mm hand rail joining sleeve and cut to 32mm length it also comes with a lock but already fitted at each end so it can be clamped to the shock so no movement.
I cut the old break hose brackets off the old shocks and then welded and put 2 M4 mushroom headed screws in each bracket then painted black there now drying and will put some pics on 2mor and also when fitted.

Hi lads I’ve had my t5.1 lowered for about a year now using Jim blueline coliovers they are very good for the cost just the front not low enough so I have decided to do the hub mod I used a 60mm hand rail joining sleeve and cut to 32mm length it also comes with a lock but already fitted at each end so it can be clamped to the shock so no movement.
I cut the old break hose brackets off the old shocks and then welded and put 2 M4 mushroom headed screws in each bracket then painted black there now drying and will put some pics on 2mor and also when fitted.
Caution not to weld the shock at all , this can cause valve damage > When we weld on a shock we completely dismantle it before and reassemble after , Too much heat can distort the sleeve also .

I don't do one , "YET" but I would like to explore your idea and see if this is a commercial proposition , Do many people do a hub mod , I know its popular with the extreme drop guys ? . I think the issue for me is the cutting and grinding on brand new shocks as this will immediately nullify the warranty . your bracket is spot on for a DIY job and will work perfectly , You probably find a lot of guys just cable tie the pipe and cables up ??

There seams to be a lot of people on the forums asking about this as they are having the same problem as me where the coliovers just don’t go low enough on the front so the only way is to do the hub mod. Some people say they don’t bother with a bracket and just Rely on the pinch bolts clamping the shock and cable ties for pipes.(sounds a bit crap to me) some say the have made a bracket just for safety so if the pinch bolts didn’t hold it would stop the shock hitting the drive shaft sounds like a lot of sense to me so this is why I made some as I tried every where to buy some and know one doesn’t do them off the shelf. If someone was to make these with all the pipe brackets ready to fit Iam sure they would sell as a diy fit and the buyer would have to remove there own existing pipe brackets on fitting them. I think if I was a engineer I would make some and see how they sell.

Done the hub mod today and fitted my 30mm brackets I made, it was well worth doing as the front sits perfectly now also I have about 5mm left on adjustment if I need it so it would sit on the bracket collars I made here is some pics.

65482A29-1378-4A2F-8AC7-D5A7E47B6677.jpeg

B76AE833-DF69-4D14-BF84-3016CADD264A.jpeg

34E56DB2-5E17-40C7-8339-35F5199EADA7.jpeg

You could buy a set of machined top mounts or do them yourself if you have a lathe and the engineering skills. Alternatively you can buy machined top mounts from Tamar Wheels or I think Transporter HQ may sell them aswell

What shocks and springs are you using ?? and why was the front 30 mm higher than the back >??

I am using Jom coilovers ther rear still has about 10mm to go lower but the front was just not low enough on the lowest setting bu t now it sits just how I like it

Back