Need Help Buying A Van

Burrelly7

Hi all. I’m sure you are all sick to death of this question but I’m seeing so many varied answers. I’m currently in the market for a new as possible (pref delivery mileage) transporter.
Looking at a Trendline T28 SWB and they coming up approx £23500 inc VAT. It’s the 102 bhp that I’ve drove prior as my friend has a 2017 model the same re-mapped to 160bhp, and it drives really well. Would this in your opinion by a good start model for my camper conversion?
Any advice welcomed and I think I’ll be on here hounding you all quite a bit in the forthcoming months. Regards Gary

A lot depends on where you are and the actual vehicle spec - but that sounds high to me. Is it really an issue if it's got a few miles on it?

This is a 6 month old T28 trendine with 5k miles and it's £19k including VAT
https://used.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/...-tdi-102ps-t28-startline-swb/details-s1bt9p38

For around £23.5k you can get the following:
6 month old 102 kombi with 6k miles, tailgate, single front seat and windows already fitted (save you having it down). You can sell the rear set for £500 or more
Used Volkswagen Vans | Details - Volkswagen Transporter Kombi 2.0TDI 102 T30 Trendline BMT SW - Coventry : Volkswagen UK Listers Van Centre Coventry

6 month old highline van with 19 miles on it:
https://used.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/...di-102ps-t28-highline-bmt-sw/details-nqbuxz67

A T28 may limit what you can do from a conversion perspective. May be best to look at T30 or T32.

Our SWB conversion weighs 2.2 tonnes, with no diesel, no passengers, and no portable kit like an awning.

Pete

I may be wrong but I don't think the Trendline comes with Air con. If you're looking to camp abroad you may regret not getting it.

Thanks for all the advice people. I like the spec of the Highline but didn’t take into account the weight when converted.
A few people have told me I’m better getting the 6-Speed 150bhp as the gearboxes are better. Is this correct?

Yes the 6 speed box is better than the 5 speed.
140/150 is better than 102
Highline has aircon and other nice bits
Tailgate is more preferred to barn doors in general
Some people prefer a single front seat rather than dual
Standard H4 lights are pretty poor
Etc.
Except that you've now just gone from £20k for a newish van to £25k or more.... :)
You need to decide your budget and priorities

The highline above is a T30 which may be better for total weight. The T32 is higher but has other considerations such as commercial MOT.

Right I’ve decided on a 102bhp highline as new as possible but don’t want tk take the initial hit money wise by buying new.
I can get it remapped to 160 and hopefully pick up a tailgate model

When I got my t5.1 102 I test drove both that and the 140 (at the time) and not a very noticeable difference when unladen. However a year later I bought a caravan, not the same as a camper conversion, but effectively loading it up. Then I realized it was too underpowered for me. I swapped for a t6 150 and the pulling power is much better with the same caravan.
I was reading the other day about remapping and emissions, many people on here have had their vans remapped and I am very tempted with the thoughts of smoother performance and a bit more get up and go but with the big downer on diesels at the moment I will wait a bit and see what additional checks are added at Mot time. For me I would go 150 or greater. Hope that helps.

The bonus is I can get it remapped for next to nothing, so not too worried about the power as standard. I’ve just heard that the gearboxes area bit ‘chocolate’ on the 5 speed

Hi Burrelly7, I have 102 VW works van and its gutless when we have loaded up, i would always try and get the BHP on a factory fit, not a remap purely due the to the issues you may encounter when altering the performance of any vehicle, all so as mentioned a few times, the weight factor that you will be adding if you choose a T28, you will pay more for a VW but the residual values are a lot higher then any other on the market, so I guess its something to consider, I do feel for you as it is a mine field, just don't rush in to it, and good luck.

Decisions decisions. It looks like my current vehicle is getting picked up on Monday so unfortunately I have to make a decision pretty fast. I’ve seen a 100 mile only 102bhp for good money so I’m very tempted. I’m guessing the chassis’s are all the same (payload wise). I thought the 150bhp engine would be the same engine as the 102bhp ?

I wouldn't go for a T28 for the reasons already stated. My conversion weighs in at 2960kg but it's on a T32, its also a 4 motion which also adds to the weight, but a t28 gives very little margin for error. Re. HP, I've never heard anybody complain that their van was overpowered;)

I wouldn't go for a T28 for the reasons already stated. My conversion weighs in at 2960kg but it's on a T32, its also a 4 motion which also adds to the weight, but a t28 gives very little margin for error. Re. HP, I've never heard anybody complain that their van was overpowered;)
Hmm the 4 Motion must add a lot of weight, mine's a T28 and I can't get it close to 2700kg with everything full and not an inch of space left. It would depend on the materials used for the conversion too.

Hmm the 4 Motion must add a lot of weight, mine's a T28 and I can't get it close to 2700kg with everything full and not an inch of space left. It would depend on the materials used for the conversion too.
Looks about 150kg difference between the T28 & T32 4 motion. I put mine on the weighbridge with full camping kit, full diesel & water tanks, came in at 2960kg

IMG_3188.PNG

Sorry for the delayed reply to my thread. Thanks for all the advice and today I finally picked up a 67 plate Reflex Silver Highline SWB 102 bhp. Let the fun commence

Back