Nearly a build thread- It's not the pain that is killing me!

I'm told by the converters that they will have done enough for me to complete my portion of works on 30th June. Keeping my fingers crossed as getting impatient with the lack of progress now!

My stock answer is: "I'm doing well and on the road to recovery"........ stop reading this post here!

The truth is that my recovery is going okay but I feel guilty because I am really moody!

If I'm honest I expected to return to "normal" and it seems that this isn't going to happen as fully as I'd imagined! I could pretend to be all upbeat and tell everyone "the stock" answer and then feel like an ungrateful arse!

The real answer is that I feel disappointed and I feel guilty saying this when so many people in the world are dealt a much worse hand that mine!

What has been noticeable is how quickly everyone expects you to bounce back and just return to the way things were before! Once you start to feature at work, walk the dog, etc it seems necessary to say "I'm fine", so that is what everyone does!
Understand how you feel.

Often when asked how they are and a person answers with "I'm fine", in my experience, it more often than not means "I'm not fine, but I don't want to say so".

I'm told by the converters that they will have done enough for me to complete my portion of works on 30th June. Keeping my fingers crossed as getting impatient with the lack of progress now!

My stock answer is: "I'm doing well and on the road to recovery"........ stop reading this post here!

The truth is that my recovery is going okay but I feel guilty because I am really moody!

If I'm honest I expected to return to "normal" and it seems that this isn't going to happen as fully as I'd imagined! I could pretend to be all upbeat and tell everyone "the stock" answer and then feel like an ungrateful arse!

The real answer is that I feel disappointed and I feel guilty saying this when so many people in the world are dealt a much worse hand that mine!

What has been noticeable is how quickly everyone expects you to bounce back and just return to the way things were before! Once you start to feature at work, walk the dog, etc it seems necessary to say "I'm fine", so that is what everyone does!
I don’t want to sound like a b*****d but……

You need to develop a degree of selfishness here and spend time/energy on recovery. Even though you might feel “silly” resting when you have “ants in your pants” you will reap the benefits for years to come.

On a slightly negative note, remember that a surgeon rarely will agree to operating in the same area of your back twice - all the more reason to invest in your recuperation!

Bugger the van - that comes a distant second. Concentrate on yourself because if you aren't self-centred and wholly focused on yourself now, then you and your loved ones will suffer later. Better a full recovery than a quick one!

The thing is that rest doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting carrying on as normal and very much on "light duties", but even then everything is a struggle! I'm clumsy as hell and that makes me cross with myself.
All my interests involve activities which I simply have to avoid to keep my head on my shoulders and as a result I am properly grumpy and don't like myself very much!

These last few weeks I have had a number of people say things along the lines of "Glad your better!", which is just people trying to be friendly. What goes through my head is "F**k off! I'm bored of explaining that I am not better so I'll pretend to be happy just for you!"
I also get really irritated that they've assumed that I am "completely mended" by their comment that I am "better".

I recognise that this new pent up aggression is unhealthy. It is certainly unfair on others and totally unjust of me to have these thoughts!

I suppose that I have had my eyes opened as to why people just become "grumpy" in their old age and I really, really don't like it!

Such good advice
Bugger the van - that comes a distant second. Concentrate on yourself because if you aren't self-centred and wholly focused on yourself now, then you and your loved ones will suffer later. Better a full recovery than a quick one!

The thing is that rest doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting carrying on as normal and very much on "light duties", but even then everything is a struggle! I'm clumsy as hell and that makes me cross with myself.
All my interests involve activities which I simply have to avoid to keep my head on my shoulders and as a result I am properly grumpy and don't like myself very much!

These last few weeks I have had a number of people say things along the lines of "Glad your better!", which is just people trying to be friendly. What goes through my head is "F**k off! I'm bored of explaining that I am not better so I'll pretend to be happy just for you!"
I also get really irritated that they've assumed that I am "completely mended" by their comment that I am "better".

I recognise that this new pent up aggression is unhealthy. It is certainly unfair on others and totally unjust of me to have these thoughts!

I suppose that I have had my eyes opened as to why people just become "grumpy" in their old age and I really, really don't like it!
It may manifest itself as “pent up aggression” - recognise it for simply “frustration”!

You have one spine. Everything that is critical to your well-being runs through it. Give it some loving, eh?

Nice work, that's pretty good of the converter to let you work on the vas as well. The ones I've talked to want to do it all or not at all.
They'll have had good money to make my 2 vans to match my exacting specs with me dealing with the electrical installation of both. They would never have wanted to do the electrical work which I've done as it would be too complicated for them to make money. They want to bash out conversions quickly and mine was too bespoke for them to do that unless I did the electrics. With delivery delays of both vans leading to missing the original build slots, my health issues and my company's fully work diary, I've had more stress than you can imagine trying to get this small project completed!

Yay! The converters did what they agreed and I managed to make the connections to the solar kit today.
This was a simple case of making the connections and all was good.
75672EF4-C524-424D-A88D-429F5B298A04.jpeg

Once the solar was live, the water systems were checked and all worked without any problems at all, which to be honest I was slightly surprised over. I half expected a weep of water from something, but all was great.
57B74191-9950-4E2E-86E9-085EAC82A19F.jpeg

The water heater also proved to be great and all in all I am very pleased with the overall awesomeness of the combined efforts of myself (not being modest ;)) and the converter. Whilst the ridiculous amount of kit is really present for demo purposes of Victron/Blue Sea kit, the whole system has created an amazing off-grid machine! I accept that the whole project is powered by fairly costly hardware, but it works amazingly. Fridge and hot water in 30 minutes of sun and nearly 95% battery at the end of the day and that is without driving the thing!

Only bad part of the day was me having a falling out with the CBE tank sender which turned out not to be standard resistance type sender. This caused me to abandon managing the tank status via the Cerbo GX. (I simply fitted the ugly CBE gauge instead, which was a shame, but enough time was spent and by the time I worked out what was going on with the sender I was losing the will to live!)
3C35F24A-B3B2-449F-845A-FB3647973D22.jpeg

At the moment, the set up is that the water heater switches on when the battery is greater than 95%. The water heats and Is stored in the well insulated water heater. If the battery level falls to 85%, then the water heater fails to heat using the 12V element until back to 95% battery.
(Obviously on EHU, the 230V element keeps water hot all the time.)
I feel that this is a good system, albeit overkill!

I'm mega excited for next Thursday when the converters will have completed the final details,
such as fitting the extra kombi seat mounts, Vanshades, missing trims, seat swivels, etc.

Cannot wait!...... it is so nearly done!
28991D38-5317-42E1-AC51-4D786AF430EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Sam first up howareya mate? ( i'm an ex carer Sam I have to ask if you mended yet bro it's law ;) ) Is there irony in the fact as I ask you that i've just had an alert from you.probably in a thread I have no hope of understanding. . I've just been reading through your cell balancing debate with Delmassive..which is fascinating but I'll have to come back to over and over.

Mate yours is such a fascinating build, it just seemed a shame that there is no reply after the photobomb, I adore the oak WT's and the overkill leccy it's such a cool example of what's possible in a transporter .

i kinda want to tentatively ask about your hot water : can you detail that very simply for me ha ha which holds more irony as I use a hundred year old design ( kelly kettle) and twigs to provide us with most of what we need,but your "hi tech " take IS fascinating to me.

Somewhere you wrote about tyres and getting stuck on grass campsites where did you go with that Sam?

HNY

stu

Sam first up howareya mate? ( i'm an ex carer Sam I have to ask if you mended yet bro it's law ;) ) Is there irony in the fact as I ask you that i've just had an alert from you.probably in a thread I have no hope of understanding. . I've just been reading through your cell balancing debate with Delmassive..which is fascinating but I'll have to come back to over and over.

Mate yours is such a fascinating build, it just seemed a shame that there is no reply after the photobomb, I adore the oak WT's and the overkill leccy it's such a cool example of what's possible in a transporter .

i kinda want to tentatively ask about your hot water : can you detail that very simply for me ha ha which holds more irony as I use a hundred year old design ( kelly kettle) and twigs to provide us with most of what we need,but your "hi tech " take IS fascinating to me.

Somewhere you wrote about tyres and getting stuck on grass campsites where did you go with that Sam?

HNY

stu
Hey @Soundz. I hope you had a good Christmas.

What do you need to know about the hot water kit?
It is a simple tank with separate AC and DC elements:

I have wired my AC element to a protected and switched supply, which comes directly from the EHU. This means that it won't work from my Multiplus, because that would be stupid as it would gobble up my entire LB capacity in less than 4 hours!
So the AC element only works when on EHU.

The 12 volt side is easy if you just want to keep things simple and have the water heat when the ignition is on.
This is achieved by installing a relay which is switched by the ignition feed.
Note that the feed to the water heater does need to be switched because the heater will need draining down in winter and you won't want it running all the time anyway. (EG-If you need to charge your LB if it is fairly flat.)
I've done this by using a Cerbo GX which means it will kill the water heater power if the LB is less than 90%. This could be achieved using the relay output from a Battery Monitor such as the BMV712. To be honest that feature is totally overkill and a simple switch would do!

If I were doing this again I'd install a dedicated DC-DC charger for the heater, but I am kind of finished on this van for now!

It is not strictly necessary to install an accumulator tank, but you definitely need an expansion tank to deal with the expansion of water when it heats, otherwise the PRV will do its thing!

I can't remember what size tanks I went for but I did install both accumulator and expansion tanks. (As can be see in post #16.)

The PRV and drain on mine are Tee'd together and then exit the van through the floor directly under the tank. This is essential to ensure that the PRV doesn't dump your tank contents into your van in the event of an issue!
As for the pre-freeze drain down..... I didn't leave enough access to the drain cock and I really need a hatch in the back panel, so I just drained it as well as I could using the shower as this was the lowest point!

BTW- My wooden worktops were bought and not made......Not like your awesome build!

I didn't rally get stuck in a field in Dorset. I avoided getting stuck.....which was the problem! It was a bit of a laugh rallying up a hilly field screaming "speed is your friend girls!" To the kids. Then there was a grass covered ditch, followed by a bang! (Then a little sob from me!) :fast rofl:

Changing the subject completely; I'm a bit disappointed with the results of my op tbh, but I'm still holding onto the fact that everyone thinks I'm a grumpy old b@57ard that needs to give things time! :D

Hope that the above info provides a bit of useful info. Let me know if you need more?

Back