Near Birmingham Saturday 15th October

Crazymind

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi Folks. Last minute decision to go to Belgium. I will need to stop the night near Birmingham.
Any suggestion we here to stay for the night in the van? Somewhere with late check-in…like 9pm…

It's not quite Brum but we stayed a night at Orchard View Farm Camping and Glamping on our was back to Scotland after getting the Newhaven ferry back from Dieppe. It was nice and quiet and not far from the M40.
We arrived late on and as it was the heatwave in July and we had the kids, we opted not to put the big tent up for one night and just stayed in one of the pods.
IMG_20220719_213913.jpg

Last edited:
On the subject of pubs, I found a spot in Beatock at a pub, on Park4night a free parking app for overnighting. I think a few pubs have cottoned on that if they allow campers in their carparks, they get punters who will pay for a meal and a few beers.

Last edited:
If I’m passing Brum I generally choose to do it in the middle of the night to avoid most of the traffic and then sleep somewhere 100 miles either side of it, in a lay-by normally.

I must agree with @DXX if travelling south I would try to get south of Birmingham before stopping for the night and plan the second day carefully for your travel around the M25 with the best traffic news that I could find. Don't forget that if you are going clockwise around the M25 the Dartford Crossing has a toll to be paid on-line.
What ever the 'best guess' that you can make be prepared for delays on the motorways, my route M54, M6, M1, M25, M20 etc. to the tunnel can go either way, quick & easy or nothing but torture. I always aim for a late afternoon tunnel crossing but it doesn't always work out well!

Looks great! I'm like you, temporary converting my Shuttle for trips away. Have you got thermal blinds to keep the sun out, and if those are non tinted windows, peeking eyes?

Tinted windows pitch black, however in this photo they don’t look tinted at all. I have got a set of thermal blinds, mostly to keep the cabin dark.
Quite like to leave home when it’s dark. Drive a few hours, sleep whenever I feel tired.
I d like the comfort of a full conversion but I wouldn’t use it much.
I usually remove the 3 seater bench and leave the mattress on the floor. I couldn’t be bothered to remove it. It’s so heavy. Probably 100kg.
75-EE0-BB4-2-D76-4369-B056-2138-E343-EC13.jpg

Decided to stop at the Bull Head in Meriden.
Nice pub, a pint 5.60.
However no fee to stay in the parking lot. Very quiet and it feels safe.
At 6 this morning the recycling glass bin lorry paid a visit…

I'll give them a call tomorrow. In Birmingham on Thursday but in London on Wednesday and don't fancy travelling back down to Cornwall in between. Be ideal to get free/safe parking to sleep in the van on Wednesday night but have a pint and dinner before bed.

Back