My T6 is pulling to the left (RHD)

Kevin Mitchell

Hi

I read a post on the forum about this previously, but I can no longer find it.

My T6 Transporter is a year old now, but after getting wheel alignment done twice, I am still convinced that the vehicle pulls slightly to the left. I have tested it on long trips, and obviously been cognisant of road camber and wind. There is no noticeble ware on any of the tyres, and I have the factory standard wheels.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Kevin

I have a similar problem in that the steering wheel is not straight even if travelling in a straight line, it's biased slightly towards the right but if you let go the van pulls slightly to the left!

Given that my profession is Graphic Design and that I deal with lining things up etc., this is really pissing me off! I had the Sportline wheels fitted from new so I'm starting to think that the dealer may have just bolted them on and not bothered checking the tracking. Looking at the shoddy way they fitted my roof bars I reckon this is highly likely. I've brought both points to their attention, now hoping they'll resolve both issues sooner rather than later.

4wd vehicles naturally fight and follow the camber of the road, mine does exactly the same too as did my previous Audi, range rover, etc..

Saying that my alignment was way out when I picked it up from the dealership

Hi guys, just a word about my experiences with continental setup LHD vehicles when driving in the UK. They have tended to pull to the left because the caster angle etc of the steering has been set up for road camber for driving on the right. Since VW build the LHD & RHD vehicles on the same line at the same time according to other posts then it could be that a RHD vehicle has inadvertently been setup for LHD. The acceleration pull that @Polzeylad refers to is often called torque steer just in case your Dealership tries bluffing. I hope that you find a solution.

Last edited:
Hence my comment about a possible steering geometry set up error. @Polzeylad's supplementary comment gives extra knowledge so you know if the Dealership are trying to bluff because they don't understand the cause.

My van (t28 swb 140 DSG) was pulling to the left since day 1 when i picked it up from the dealer about a year ago. At first i thought the pressure wasnt right/equal so pumped it up right and was doing the same. Started to wear badly the outer edge so swapped the front tyre with rear one for now. Took it to check the tracking and apparently the bushes are worn out and been told there's no point to sort the tracking with worn bushes. So taking it to VW on thursday. I'll see what they say

Have a T6 Kombi, 2016, 12,000 miles, just purchased at great expense from a VW dealer. Mostly fine, but it pulls to the left, slightly, so I checked tyre pressures (all were wrong, but correcting them made no difference). It's very annoying, and it's minimal, but it gently 'wanders' over to the kerb. Had the alignment checked at my local tyre garage who made a few adjustments but it made no difference - still pulled to the left. So booked it in to the local VW Commercial Dealer - who confirmed it pulled to the left but, and this is their official comment "all VW vans pull to the left, even new ones". Now call me difficult if you like, but I'd like a van to go in a straight line. My Vauxhall Vivaro goes in a straight line. Called VW who just backed up their dealer - but said they would "look into it and call back" - they didn't. VW website tells me 4 wheel alignment is essential, but now VW tell me it's out of warranty (6 months on tracking) so I would have to pay for it. Anybody else have these issues? Not what I was expecting from a VW.

Mine tracks well, but what wheels have you got? As wide wheels make them follow the road camber which is to the left for drainage? Was your tracking done on a 4 wheel laser system?

Have the original steel wheels with trims (mines a Trendline model). Not had laser tracking yet - that's the next thing to do. I'm just a bit miffed I've spend a load of money on a 12 month old vehicle and it doesn't go in a straight line. Just like to know is it a VW thing, or just mine (I'd like to think it is just mine, so laser tracking should solve the issue). Would be nice if the dealer paid for it...

Same 'pull to the left' problem on mine. Did the bushes sort it out? According to local VW Dealer "all Volkswagens pull to the left, even new ones" which is not satisfactory. Tyre pressures, tracking etc all checked but no solution found. I'm thinking suspension issues somewhere, although dealer found a rear caliper problem which may not be helping. Still pulls left - now waiting for VW UK to take a look.

Mine also pulls to the left annoyingly, going to get it 4 wheel aligned to see if that makes a difference

Mine also pulls to the left annoyingly, going to get it 4 wheel aligned to see if that makes a difference
Please let me know how it goes - I think I might do the same but suddenly VW are interested in the problem and will contact me to try and resolve the issue. We'll see...

Go into the dealer and test drive a new van. Does it pull to the left?
How long have you had your van?
VW Dealers are ranked towards the bottom of the table for good reasons

Back