Steel Smoothies

Sent my smoothie back very poor paint work ,,The paint started to wipe off after the first 35 miles , PUT WAX ON THE PAINT STARTED TO WIPE OFF LOL

View attachment 39314

Did you get any kind of explanation about this?

I assumed they'd be powder coated, which is extremely durable. If the paint has come off, it doesn't look like any of them will last long.

They aren't powder coated and from my experience they are a very poor quality wheel generally. I could not recommend the smoothies in standard guise to anyone. If they were banded or painted properly then the issues could probably be sorted and they’d be ok? IMO they are more for show than functionality.
The VW Amarok steels are in a totally different league which is why I changed.

I second that, Amaroks are a great wheel, but I've chosen to get mine powder coated as I wasn't happy with the colour and I think it gives a better finish.

Did you get any kind of explanation about this?

I assumed they'd be powder coated, which is extremely durable. If the paint has come off, it doesn't look like any of them will last long.
yep they told me they are powder coated,, Then i told them I HAVE BEEN IN THE MOTOR TRADE FOR 40 YRS LOL Then he said mmm might be the wet coat,, we can repaint them for u may take 3/4 weeks lol no thanks

They aren't powder coated and from my experience they are a very poor quality wheel generally. I could not recommend the smoothies in standard guise to anyone. If they were banded or painted properly then the issues could probably be sorted and they’d be ok? IMO they are more for show than functionality.
The VW Amarok steels are in a totally different league which is why I changed.
WELL SAID

Well spotted , they are from JBW in Coventry and are there own design finished in VW silver and 8” width £595 with tyres

I think they maybe not the most durable but they did say don’t cover them in chemicals at the hand car wash places, time will tell.

I think they maybe not the most durable but they did say don’t cover them in chemicals at the hand car wash places, time will tell.
Hi pete i only hand washed and wiped wax on ,,AFTER 35 MILES , they told me THE problem was with top coat ???

Hi pete i only hand washed and wiped wax on ,,AFTER 35 MILES , they told me THE problem was with top coat ???
Looked at mine today the finish is definitely turning patchy, shame as I really like these wheels but looks like you get what you pay for.

Was going to ask what was wrong with the smoothies but then read the last few posts. Aside from the finish is there anything else wrong which sand blasting and powdercoat wouldn't solve?

Last edited:
In addition to the paint I had other issues. There may also be a long term risk of overheating the brakes?
Read my earlier post, in my opinion they are a wheel best suited for shows rather than for a van in daily use.
PM me if you want to discuss the issues I had in more detail.

Last edited:
Back