My lifepo4 and solar install

Brody

Hello guys , thought I would put up a few pics of my recent install. I got some inspiration advice and ideas from some of your threads and info on here . I went for a 100ah lifepower lifepo4 battery from eBay , 2 x Lensun 110w solar etfe solar panels , a victron smart protect , Aili battery monitor, ctek d250se and a victron 15a 240v charger
Spent 4 days in Dorset off grid and it worked a treat with fridge running constantly , led lights , 12v tv, Charging phones and iPads .

DC3B2722-0F98-4529-A647-835EB9C96B44.jpeg

51EE30C8-23BB-4E13-A64B-EB99C7B70623.jpeg

E74CF3CF-A1C5-4229-9B11-B47DF49AD341.jpeg

92B43AD3-AB49-4C69-882E-B5B1BDE75935.jpeg

B215BEC7-5451-4306-9BCE-F59DC71F4F69.jpeg

I also changed from an agm battery after 4 years to a lifepo4, initially more expensive but it charges from solar much quicker and you can draw lots more from them without damaging your battery.
Also holds 13.4v constantly right down to about 10percent of battery left and much lighter weight than my old battery.
But cost is the killer but I'm hoping to keep my van for many years so decided it was a good option.

Looks like a good install I'd be interested to hear more about the attachment of the solar panels, look discreet and pretty flush, any wind noise at speed etc..

Thanks you , I spent quite a bit of time researching it . I wanted to keep the overall height of the camper below 2.0 metres for car park barriers , hence why I went for the thin flexible panels on an ali angle frame. Only increased my roof height by 20mm . They are quite discreet and didn’t involve any drilling in to roof either , I was even able to use 2 existing grommets to get the solar wires into the vehicle. The wind noise is absolutely minimal surprisingly (tested to 70mph)
I have bonded sca t tracks onto the roof and then bolted the 20x30mm Ali angle to that , the solar panels have a large fixing hole in each corner which I bolted through , and also bonded the edges so as not to get any flapping at speed .

This is a very nice set up. May I ask, how are you getting on with this system since then? - all good? Anything you'd have done differently?

How do you find the Aili battery monitor? And why did you use a victron smart protect?

Are these flexi panels kept taut simply by the gap between the aluminium frames which it's bolted and bonded to? You went through the roof rather than your pop top for the penetrations?

Cheers, nice work.

Jason

I have bonded sca t tracks onto the roof and then bolted the 20x30mm Ali angle to that….
That seems a good solution and I too would be interested in hearing about your experience with it a year on. I’m looking at a very similar arrangement except I plan to use rigid PV panels. Did you use the SCA track system from Banwy (SCA ROOF RACK SYSTEM) or something else? How are the tracks attached to the roof? By drilling holes through the roof panel (outside the edge of the canvas) and then bolting through the roof?

Last edited:
This is a very nice set up. May I ask, how are you getting on with this system since then? - all good? Anything you'd have done differently?

How do you find the Aili battery monitor? And why did you use a victron smart protect?

Are these flexi panels kept taut simply by the gap between the aluminium frames which it's bolted and bonded to? You went through the roof rather than your pop top for the penetrations?

Cheers, nice work.

Jason
Hi Jason , Thankyou. It’s all been working very well to be honest , although I haven’t used the van a great deal over the winter , we are literally going away later this month . I have had the solar disconnected for a few months , as my battery does not have low temperature cut off and it is apparently bad for the lifepo4 batteries to be charged at low temps . The lithium battery has been great and barely discharged at all whilst being unused for approximately 4 months ! Where as the lead acid I previously had seemed to discharge considerably.
The battery monitor is great for the money , show the voltage , the amps it is charging/discharging and few other features . Gives % off battery remaining.
Yes the panels stay taught from the frame I made , the rails are bonded on to the pop top with sikaflex 412 caravan bond and haven’t budged at all.
Regards
Mark

That seems a good solution and I too would be interested in hearing about your experience with it a year on. I’m looking at a very similar arrangement except I plan to use rigid PV panels. Did you use the SCA track system from Banwy (SCA ROOF RACK SYSTEM) or something else? How are the tracks attached to the roof? By drilling holes through the roof panel (outside the edge of the canvas) and then bolting through the roof?
All good a year on , although not used in anger , I will let you know the performance of the panels etc later this month . But was very impressed last year. Yes that is correct I used the sca system from Banwy, I literally bonded them to the roof (no mechanical fixing to roof ) I was meticulous how I fixed them , abrading the surface and cleaning with sikaflex cleaning/solvent . All ok 1 year on .

Back