Multi-storey car parks

Cripes. That's bum clenching close.

Just heading to a meeting and realised i hadn't used the station multi storey since we got the van converted (pop top plus roof bars).

So glad that I dumped the van in favour of the Volvo today. 2.1m . No chance. I need to lower before settling the Volvo

Lowering is a while off! Conversion first. I had my hand on the roof while I went through... figured I’d rather break/loose fingers than scratch roof! :x3: Pop top adds three inches once that’s on, so I’m not going to risk multi-storey car parks for about another year! No big loss :thumbsup:

how many people out there use a 1.9metre multi storey?

My works car park procedure is changing and they are asking if I can park in the multi-storey. I’m on std springs at the moment but have air being fitted in a few weeks so should be able to get in... not so sure about the ramps in there but does anyone else use a 1.9 or lower multi storey?

I've been in a car park that was apparently a 1.9m height - it was close.
Here is a picture of my van in a 2.0m height car park to give you an idea of what the 1.9 was like.
I've changed my springs for 50mm Eibach.
CarPark.JPG

I was in the multi storey by Media City in Manchester yesterday. The barrier said 1.9m which mine is, give or take, so I proceeded. The barrier scraped the roof bars good and proper, but once I was in there was loads of room.

Our station has a 1.85 barrier. drives me nuts as there is about 2.6 headroom throughout. Standard springs, sca roof plus bars comes in at 2.15 for me, so my limit is a 2.2 carpark if I have a "spotter". (planning to drop it soon for this very reason)

image_2009_06_26_570017-jpg.13050

We have been in that tunnel, had a sore neck afterwards.

I think it's down to the individual car park. The one I use says 1.9m max height. I've a LWB T32. Standard ride height and Devonports but my pop top adds 25mm. I drove round with my head out the window checking all the way round. I can safely get round the ground level and one half of the lower level. But not the whole car park. Remember ramps. Look out for signs, ducting, cable tray. It's the only multi storey I use, but it's because I'm familiar with it and know where my van will clear.

The multi storey I park in says 2m. Mine with pop top plus 70mm drop is 1.98m and there's a good 10cm free above that so I think they often do leave a bit of a safety margin. Trouble is you don't know how much till you try it :eek:

Thought I was unique in being concerned about height! When I was looking for a camper conversion sales reps would wave their hands and make vague claims about heights. Most lost any chance of a sale because of their reaction when I fished out a tape measure.
I may still go for air suspension, partly to gain reduction in height.

My van in a 2m car park. I've had it in one that was advertised as 1.9m but that was a bit tight and I wasn't very comfortable going in.
But I still duck every time I go under a 2.1m barrier....

CarPark.JPG

Back