Mud Flaps for tailgate vans... recommendations??

Thanks for that. Did they fit LWB and no extra holes to be drilled?
@Robp - mine’s a LWB - no problem. As @Jezma says, they’re not model specific. Do watch out for the rubbing though - it’s very easy to shave a little off the top to reduce the risk of damaging the paint, and it doesn’t affect the appearance or performance.

@Robp They are a molded profile to match the arch lining/cill/bumper. Wheel base should be irrelevant (can always return an amazon order), mines a SWB though. Two holes to drill for each front flap in the arch lining, very easy to do and the supplied metal clips just sit over the arch lining where holes are drilled to give the supplied screws something to engage with. No holes to drill for the rear flaps they just pick up on existing screws/holes. Just be aware as others have said about rub on the lower corner of the doors, mine don't but worth checking.
Thanks for all that. Final question, did the front flaps need trimming at all to stop the front doors rubbing on them?

Shorty 'flaps delivered, via Customveedubs (T6 VW Mudflaps | Tailgate | Set of 4 | Shorty | CUSTOMVEEDUBS).

The listing states "These will also fit the 6.1 but with a small section removed on the front Mudflaps where the engine tray sits 8mm lower than other models".

So, m'question is, for anyone with a 6.1, any advice on how much to trim off the front 'flaps, from where, and using what toolage? I'm tagging @Rickeyman - as you, fella, seem to be the only bold T6.1 owner who's fitted these (as posted on this thread anyway)...

In the pic below, I'm thinking 8-ish mm as a straight-ish line cut on the rear section highlighted in red (UK passenger/nearside front 'flap). Is that what you did pal? Sounds like a Dremmel (or similar) is the best tool for the job? Does your tip on soaking them in hot/warm water to make 'em a wee bit more pliable actually make a difference? Sounds like good logic in theory but they are pretty rigid. Happy to bow to your experience pal :thumbsup:

I'm also thinking of attaching the front 'flaps ONLY using the moulded centre hole (highlighted in green) - reckon that should hold it snug enough without the need for tapping 2 new screws into the wheel arch lining (in the holes highlighted blue), but keen to know what you (and any other 6.1'ers) have done/what you recommend.

If any of you kind folks can share your experiences of fitting these on a 6.1, I'm happy to take plenty of pics and post 'em on this thread to document for other 6.1'ers when I fit mine...

Flaps 1.jpg

Fitting the rear 'flaps on the 6.1 will be a doddle BTW, looks like the rear 'uns will fit like a glove after 'offering them up'...

Last edited:
If I recall, you are correct with your picture showing the amount of plastic to remove (circled in red). I used a dremel with plastic cutting wheel and I only used the existing fixing to secure it in place. Didn’t fancy drilling more holes in the bodywork. You would be wise to cut a small amount of plastic from the mudflap where it goes under the door, as it may rub the paint away. Hope this helps, very happy with the rears. Perfect fit and look.

If I recall, you are correct with your picture showing the amount of plastic to remove (circled in red). I used a dremel with plastic cutting wheel and I only used the existing fixing to secure it in place. Didn’t fancy drilling more holes in the bodywork. You would be wise to cut a small amount of plastic from the mudflap where it goes under the door, as it may rub the paint away. Hope this helps, very happy with the rears. Perfect fit and look.

Cheers bud - really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, appreciate it :thumbsup:

I’d just like to thank those guys on here that gave me the confidence to buy & fit the CustomVeeDubs mud flaps on my T6.1 California Ocean (wheels are the standard 17" 215/60). In particular Jimbob76 for the recommended point to start cutting! My Dremel certainly had a good workout when fitting the front flaps. The passenger side on the front fits the best and as you can see from the photo the door clears nicely. The driver side took a little more work as the door appears to be 0.5mm lower so I had to shave some of the material off of the top to ensure there was no door rub. As well as the existing centre hole fixing I did put a small hole in the wheel arch liner to allow the screw on the innermost part of the liner to be used to keep the flap from skewing.

The rears look really good & required no modifications.

I hope the photos allow you to see the results. Apologies for the slightly grubby vehicle, but I’ll be dealing with that now I have the mud flaps fitted!

IMG_6544.jpeg

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6543.jpeg

IMG_6542.jpeg

IMG_6538.jpeg

I’d just like to thank those guys on here that gave me the confidence to buy & fit the CustomVeeDubs mud flaps on my T6.1 California Ocean (wheels are the standard 17" 215/60). In particular Jimbob76 for the recommended point to start cutting! My Dremel certainly had a good workout when fitting the front flaps. The passenger side on the front fits the best and as you can see from the photo the door clears nicely. The driver side took a little more work as the door appears to be 0.5mm lower so I had to shave some of the material off of the top to ensure there was no door rub. As well as the existing centre hole fixing I did put a small hole in the wheel arch liner to allow the screw on the innermost part of the liner to be used to keep the flap from skewing.

The rears look really good & required no modifications.

I hope the photos allow you to see the results. Apologies for the slightly grubby vehicle, but I’ll be dealing with that now I have the mud flaps fitted!

View attachment 177871

View attachment 177872

View attachment 177873

View attachment 177874

View attachment 177875
Hi @Benham

Do you have any pictures of the drivers side. I think I'm in the same boat as you were. The passenger one looks to be a good fit, but not the drivers side. Just curious what you trimmed, how much and what it looks like finished? Thanks

Hi @Benham

Do you have any pictures of the drivers side. I think I'm in the same boat as you were. The passenger one looks to be a good fit, but not the drivers side. Just curious what you trimmed, how much and what it looks like finished? Thanks
Hi Andy

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I must say I am not that proud of the workmanship by me on the driver's side! However, the flap is secure and as you can see it is doing its job!

IMG_6628.jpeg

IMG_6627.jpeg

IMG_6626.jpeg

Hi Mud Flaps ? are they worth it and whats the best but not VW budget wont go that far finding the 20" rims making a big mess on the van
Simon

I got mine from vanstyle, I have noticed a reduction in crap down the side of the van and rear bumper. Hoping my sidebars will last a little longer too

Hi Thanks quite fancy a full set travel a lot of lanes so it is getting very mucky very quickly hoping they should help
Simon

I fixed my rears to the inside of the arch. Didn’t fancy drilling my rear bumper either. :oops: Fits ok and they do the job IMG_4386.jpegIMG_4387.jpeg

Back