Mtb Setup Help Needed

Looking at your current stem, it's angled downwards you could take off and turn other way up, this along with moving spacers will probably gain you the 2", shorten bar width as well and see, you could also get a shorter stem and bars with a rise, i've done similar as i've got a shoulder problem that aches if too much weight is on it
You were right, turning the stem upside down and shifting that spacer below the stem has resulted in a 20mm height increase, and although I've only sat on the bike inside and not ridden it yet it already feels better. It also looks really high, I was obviously grossly overestimating the height increase needed, 4" would be ludicrous! I actually think it might be enough but I'm helping my daughter move into her new house all weekend so I'm not goig to find out just yet.

If you still want to change your riding position to more upright fit 40mm riser handlebars.
Fitting a shorter stem and moving your seat forwards (effectivly shortening the reach) will bring your torso more upright.

Looking into this a bit deeper, all the options you have will help, but, they're dealing with the symptoms, not the cause.
Have you considered taking up yoga? You could increase your mobility, core strength, flexibility and much more enabling you to ride your bike as it is with no problems. ☺

If you still want to change your riding position to more upright fit 40mm riser handlebars.
Fitting a shorter stem and moving your seat forwards (effectivly shortening the reach) will bring your torso more upright.

Looking into this a bit deeper, all the options you have will help, but, they're dealing with the symptoms, not the cause.
Have you considered taking up yoga? You could increase your mobility, core strength, flexibility and much more enabling you to ride your bike as it is with no problems. ☺
I’d already experimented with seat position but the only alteration that was going to work out was the bar height. I think another 40mm would actually be too much now, if it isn’t right as it is, then probably only another 10-20mm would be needed but I’ll have a proper go on it next week.

You should really just try small incremental changes. I had a fresh road bike fit in the spring. My saddle was moved 5mm forwards and down and my cleats back 2mm. The difference in feel to me was huge.

Making the assumption you know the Dutch guy that you swapped bikes with I'd be tempted to get some key measurements from his bike so that you know what actually worked for you. It doesn't take much to transform the fit of a bike. I reduced the length of my front stem by 20mm for what sounds like a similar issue to you.

There's been some great advice on this thread - probably better than you'd get on a 'proper' MTB forum!!!

Making the assumption you know the Dutch guy that you swapped bikes with I'd be tempted to get some key measurements from his bike so that you know what actually worked for you. It doesn't take much to transform the fit of a bike. I reduced the length of my front stem by 20mm for what sounds like a similar issue to you.

There's been some great advice on this thread - probably better than you'd get on a 'proper' MTB forum!!!
Were all T6 bikers though... which means we're abnormally obsessed with every little detail...:eek::D

Forgot to follow up on this. Well moving the third spacer down and turning the stem upside down gave me a total increase in height of 25mm, and having tried it now a few times I'm pleased to report that it feels fine, no backache and no having to drop the seat down to ease the twinges. Amazing that such a small tweak can make such a difference, I was obviously miles off with my thinking it needed raising 4"! Cracking advice on here as usual, thanks again chaps :thumbsup:

Back