So I finished off the soundproofing and insulation this morning, my knees couldn't take anymore yesterday. I have filled all the empty voids with Dacron and have almost ran out which is good. I do have a lot of the thermoliner left so I might use it under the floor somehow.

I will be using the original door cards and buy a 4mm ply sheet for the drivers rear quarter as it'll be full height.

My opinion on insulation and soundproofing is you can spend a lot of cash and time and not achieve a lot. Agreed it works and is defiantly worth while, but at the end of he day you're cutting out three windows and a hole in the roof. Most of my warmth will be from the heater and kept in by the Dacron.

Off to get a 12mm ply floor and a sheet of 4mm ply. Hopefully get that sorted today weather permitting.

I didn't manage to find any 4mm ply as yet, will do a better hunt tomorrow when more places are open, plus the rain has been not very helpful today.

I made a quick template out of the rear roof panel today, lined it up ready for cutting the 4mm out tomorrow.
So I need to source the ply fort the side panel, and the tailgate as that has been battered. I am going to put some of the hardboard over the near side rear quarter just behind the window where the three vents are, so when it's carpeted it will be flush with no loose carpet.

More work carried out today, I carpeted the off side, was not too bad this time. A few creases but mostly hidden. I'm waiting on the silent coat arriving tomorrow so I can soundproof the wheel arches then I'll finish it off.

I filled in the annoying recesses at the rear door. After a full carpet I think it's really annoying seeing them.
I had a helper with me today
Whilst I was at it I ran a cable through the tailgate for the two led's I'll be fitting.

Finished the side carpeting, I thought the Harrison trim supplies carpet was harder to use than the mvm stuff, but it was two years ago I carpeted my last van.

I will trim the top panel to fit well, then fit that at some point. I opted for two panels as the lower one was perfect, I might buy one online if I see one just on its own.

I cut out a new tailgate panel out of the old roof lining, this allowed me to get rid of the dents and holes and use the hidden clips so it looks smart. I fitted two led lights as I had them in my last van and they were invaluable for when I came off the hill and needed to change without getting the van wet. They're hooked up to the wire that was on the roof lights so they come on when I open the door. I will be fitting a switch and running them off the leisure battery when my units are fitted.

I made the blanks for the other side and will be carpeting tomorrow I think, then floor and wiring for switches etc.

IMG_0009.JPG
Any one know what this is? I've fitted the 9mm batons but this is higher. Can I bin it or do I have to live with the annoyance.

Is that behind the rear wheel arch ?
Not seen one before, could it be to accommodate the rear of the jack where it touches the floor ?

Is that behind the rear wheel arch ?
Not seen one before, could it be to accommodate the rear of the jack where it touches the floor ?
Looks like a piece of padding with an unreadable designation on a painted floor. I reckon 99.9% chance @Pauly is on the button if it's matched by a mount on the wheel arch.

Quick picture of the work done today, finished carpeting the near side, didn't do too bad. This side is a lot easier than the other.

I put the altro floor down for a quick look to see what it'll look like.
IMG_5139.JPG
Cut out the 12mm ply and it fits well. I screwed the old one to the 12mm ply and jigsawd around. I extended the floor in the places needed, front by where the old bulkhead was and the rear so there is no hole by the tailgate threshold.
IMG_5140.JPG

Finished the floor and all trimmings, looks nice and neat around the sliding door I wired up the step light and routes the cable up the b pillar. I'll connect it up to the old connector. IMG_5156.JPG
Here's a look backwards, fairly happy with the work. there are a few anomalies but hopefully they won't matter and I will be able to patch them up.IMG_5157.JPG

I have purchased a twin switch and USB packed for the c pillar by the door, one switch for the lights and the other to power the USB. Will hopefully wire the lights so they can be used off this switch and the one I will fit in the units.

Seat base on order, will remove the not needed extra seat base bolts and fit my converted single. Then electrics next I imagine before the roof fit next month.

IMG_5172.JPG

Fitted the tailgate van x curtain this afternoon. I like it but they should have designed the 'L' bracket at the bottom so the long part is hidden under the curtain. I preferred the kiravans kit for ease also. Still I have two more to fit and will persevere. I guess the tailgate is the only one with the visible bracket. It looks like it's squint but it's because it has curved around the shape of the rear door.

Van is in for roof in two weeks so will look into windows in the time being. Then pick the final colours for my units.

IMG_5310.JPG

Today I ran the cable for my ring charger, all done by the instructions from @travelvolts thanks Martin. I think I forgot to mention gat I had a lwb van and didn't get enough sent through. The end of the cable from the van battery reaches to the end of the panel behind the drivers seat.

IMG_5315.JPG

I also managed to finally sort out my single seat faff that I had. Firstly I purchased a second hand non captain seat in Austin trim, this turned out to be a waste of time and effort as the height adjuster was knackered and only after changing the trim and buying a seat base and fitting it, did I realise this. It was advertised as 'great condition' I've raised the issues with them and see how it goes. Since then I found a passenger captain seat, with armrests for a steal on eBay and bought that. I swapped over the seat covers and hey presto, a simora captain seat for a fraction of the price that they were going for on eBay.

Dropped the van off at the roof Fitter's today. He will be about two weeks or so, I'm offshore soon so about a month until I get it back.

Units ordered and they're four weeks also.

Exciting times, the van will look remotely camper like soon.

I am planning on fitting an inverter to the van, for the very few times I will need 240v. I do a fair amount of walking/climbing and having wet boots is the biggest problem I had in my old van. I have a 240v boot dryer, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Therm-Ic-P...=UTF8&qid=1499844350&sr=8-2&keywords=therm+ic and will want to use this to dry my boots, mainly when driving and a top up when i'm there if they're not fully dry. Does anyone, @travelvolts know if you can use your inverted whilst driving? I'm sure you can. On a second note, for sorting out the wiring for the inverter, does it go through my fuse panel to a switch or will it need independently turning on at the unit?

Thanks

Andy

Back