Mounting recovery boards to bike rack

moodsterT6

T6 Caravelle - Day Van - Occasional Camper
T6 Pro
Made up some simple brackets to secure my recovery boards to the bike rack:

5D3C8295-74A9-4754-B66D-95F714EBA573.jpeg

509F62DD-54EB-4C53-A1CE-6E0CBA21B7E7.jpeg
15D479CF-0503-4EF2-92AD-D0F19791F8DD.jpeg

I’ll still use a tie down to secure them but at least having the locking fittings it should slow the thieves down a little.

Thule THUL5 526010 Locking Tommy Nut, Accessory, Pack of 2: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

5, BZP Hex M8 Female to M6 Male Metric Thread Reducers - 13mm: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Hi MoodsterT6, very smart fix for those recovery boards.:) I haven't got my van yet but certainly look at doing the same.
Thanks for sharing. Any problems with security out on the road. Any mods to make?
Cheers Chris

Hi MoodsterT6, very smart fix for those recovery boards.:) I haven't got my van yet but certainly look at doing the same.
Thanks for sharing. Any problems with security out on the road. Any mods to make?
Cheers Chris
Thanks. I only have the boards fitted on the rack when I know I’ll def be going ‘off road’ which usually means I’ll not really be away from the Van much anyway. So no issues with security as yet, having the locking nuts would only slow the thieves down a bit anyway. The only mod I’m considering is to have the bike rack anodised in black, not just for cosmetic reasons, but also I think it will dim the reflection of the rear high level brake light which bounces off the silver aluminium of the rack, it’s quite distracting!

Hi again moodsterT6. Just getting the kit together for this hack. Please could you tell me what size the nut is that slides along the channel of the Thule rack that provides the fixing. Guess I could experiment but if you've already done all the work.....thanks.

Hi again moodsterT6. Just getting the kit together for this hack. Please could you tell me what size the nut is that slides along the channel of the Thule rack that provides the fixing. Guess I could experiment but if you've already done all the work.....thanks.
If you look higher up this thread you’ll see the kit list with links. The Thule locking knobs are M8 but I found I couldn’t slide an M8 bolt into the track of the bike rack. I needed to use an M6 then use an M6 to M8 adapter

Although I think a normal M6 bolt would work too, perhaps with a washer if a little loose

Just been watching an Aussie youtube. This bloke has his MT mounted on the side of his van along with a shovel on some sort of bracket. Looks like you have to put holes in your van for this to work. I'm heading for LWB so anything on the back makes things longer still. It's all a compromise.

Just been watching an Aussie youtube. This bloke has his MT mounted on the side of his van along with a shovel on some sort of bracket. Looks like you have to put holes in your van for this to work. I'm heading for LWB so anything on the back makes things longer still. It's all a compromise.
That sounds like 4motion adventures? I watch their channel, there videos are good.
They also only have a slider on one side, my Caravelle has twin sliders so I can’t mount them that way.

Back