Motorway. For selling your vehicle

dubber36

In a place that few understand
VIP Member
T6 Legend
We are in the process of buying a new car, so rather than just accept the dealers px figure, I thought I'd have a go at selling elsewhere. I'd had a WBAC valuation, but before going down that route, I thought I'd try Motorway.

For those that don't know, they operate as a kind of portal that dealers subscribe to. You enter your details as you would on WBAC and get an estimated valuation. You can then go onto the next stage which includes a step by step guide to add further details and photos. The car gets listed and goes into a daily auction which is open between 10am and 3pm. After 3pm you get presented with the highest bid. You choose whether to accept it or not. If you do, the buyer makes contact and arranges payment and collection from you. It is completely free for the seller. The buyer pays a premium to Motorway.

It might not be for everyone, but it worked really well for me. My new car had been discounted up front, and my px value written back to the value the dealer put on it. We agreed that I could sell the car elsewhere and only have to pay the px value amount. My car sold on Motorway for a considerably higher amount, so not only did I get a good discount on the new car, I also go the equivalent of an over allowance on my old car too.

I can't recommend this completely risk free process of selling a car highly enough.

Last edited:
I was wondering how it worked. Thanks for explaining. I wasn’t sure after you proceeded that you were committed to sell whatever the price. Their offer was nearly £2k more than WBAV. Will definitely have a look when my new van is ready.

We are in the process of buying a new car, so rather than just accept the dealers px figure, I thought I'd have a go at selling elsewhere. I'd had a WBAC valuation, but before going down that route, I thought I'd try Motorway.

For those that don't know, they operate as a kind of portal that dealers subscribe to. You enter your details as you would on WBAC and get an estimated valuation. You can then go onto the next stage which includes a step by step guide to add further details and photos. The car gets listed and goes into a daily auction which is open between 10am and 3pm. After 3pm you get presented with the highest bid. You choose whether to accept it or not. If you do, the buyer makes contact and arranges payment collection from you. It is completely free for the seller. The buyer pays a premium to Motorway.

It might not be for everyone, but it worked really well for me. My new car had been discounted up front, and my px value written back to the value the dealer put on it. We agreed that I could sell the car elsewhere and only have to pay the px value amount. My car sold on Motorway for a considerably higher amount, so not only did I get a good discount on the new car, I also go the equivalent of an over allowance on my old car too.

I can't recommend this completely risk free process of selling a car highly enough.

For those that don't know, they operate as a kind of portal that dealers subscribe to. You enter your details as you would on WBAC and get an estimated valuation. You can then go onto the next stage which includes a step by step guide to add further details and photos. The car gets listed and goes into a daily auction which is open between 10am and 3pm. After 3pm you get presented with the highest bid. You choose whether to accept it or not. If you do, the buyer makes contact and arranges payment collection from you. It is completely free for the seller. The buyer pays a premium to Motorway.

We sold an 18 reg Hyundai Santa Fe earlier in the year, best offer we had no messing very smooth So would recommend them. They dont sell vans or campers thou

I'm not sure whether it's just down to algorithms they use but we recently had a very good (and very surprising) experience with WABC. Before even going on their site, I got a mileage / condition based valuation from Parkers (£4.99) and also looked at a lot of similar cars on Autotrader and eBay. I went onto WABC and tried to be as honest as possible about the condition of the car and the offer looked good but I later realised that I had missed a couple of minor scratches and a scuff on a wheel where it had been kerbed. At the appointment their representative spotted the wheel but missed the other things and we finished up with a deal which I reckon was about £350 less than I would have got after a bit of haggling when selling privately (it was an £9K car). That said I thought it was well worth that much not to have the aggro (and cost) of advertising and having to meet the great (possibly Covid infected) unwashed who would have wanted to kick all the tyres and test drive the thing as well as possibly wasting our time. With all that and getting the money in the bank within 3 days, I thought £350 was a good price to pay for such an easy transaction.

Wizzle is much the same process as motorway, i sold my old BM on it, it went same day, then two weeks of the dealer wanting to validate the Service History from a dealer that didnt exist anymore. but it went in the end for more than i thought i'd get from a dealer, so all good.

Looking at selling a car with motorway so any feedback or advice from anyone would be great. Thanks.

i used motorway recently to flog another car recently. it took a few days to jump through their hoops, their app is a website reskinned and it wasn't great to use. i got differing answers from every one of their support guys and girls, they didnt seem to know the process.
but i got 2.5k more than from the dealer for an hours work. still worth doing.

You have nothing to loose by giving it a go. You don't have to accept the potential buyers offer.
I hope nothing to lose…some bloke turns up, says he will buy car and transfer money etc. Making sure it all goes thru & is legit

With me, the dealer sent a holding deposit pretty soon after making first contact, then arranged to send his driver out. He inspected the car, then called his boss to tell him all was OK. The dealer then transferred the money. Not until the money was in my account did I hand over the keys, V5 or anything.

Sold my Audi Q5 on Motorway thanks to a work colleague telling me about it. Made £5K profit above handing it back to the dealer. Great app and very easy to work with.

Last edited:
I also used Motorway to sell my Mercedes. I got a good price and the transaction was very smooth. All in all it felt very safe and I was paid quickly by the successful dealer.

Thanks for feedback all, very helpful. Finalised details with motorway on Sat, successful bidder by 3pm Monday, dealer came to collect on Tuesday at 10am. Bit of haggling over the price but worked out ok and great to sort so quickly.

Back