Motorcyclists. Why...

dubber36

In a place that few understand
VIP Member
T6 Legend
...do some of them see the need for main beams as well as additional LED spot lights on the frame, blazing away dazzling all and sundry?

I get that it's important to be visible and since the legislation of DRLs on all vehicles, they feel that headlights alone just blend into the sea of running lights. However, some of these lights are beyond bright. Yes, they get you noticed, but possibly at the risk of distracting others and potentially causing an accident between affected motorists. I don't get the argument that some use saying that headlights alone don't differentiate a bike from a car at a quick glance. Surely if a light is coming towards you, it shouldn't matter what type of vehicle is emitting it. Why would anyone be anymore likely to pull out in front of one type of vehicle than another?

Before anyone suggests I'm anti-motorcyclist, far from it. I don't ride one, but do pedal a road bike, so know all about being vulnerable on the road.

Personally I don't use them but I get why people do. It gives you a bit more spread on the lights which makes the bike look bigger.

It is literally unbelievable how people miss motorbikes. I ride a BMW gs1200 and used to have a fluorescent orange helmet. I still have had people pull straight across in front of me while they're looking towards me.

Gotta stay safe guys. I got 4 bikes and staying rubber side up is most important and I’ll do all I can to aid that. Bright lights loud can.
modern day led car lights are far worse than that of a bike.

I agree with the first post.In fact I have seen a study that came to the conclusion that if the lights are too bright then the person looking gets dazzled but also that you loose depth perception and sense of speed of the lights so believe the vehicle (bike) is further away so are more likely to pull out.
There is a study about fighter pilots that explains why people can look and not see cyclists and motorbikes.
Final study I read contrary to urban myth Loud pipes dont save lives.

By the way, Im not anti Motorcyclist either.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere about ww2 fighter planes using lights on wings to camoflage attack with sun behind ......
Although I may have dreamt it !
Agree on high beam being a menace , also with the mega bright pushbike lights .
Definitely not anti bike either !

Regardless of what you drive....Driver/riders have more recently forgotten the basis of the Highway Code....Spatial Awareness has gone right out the window as too has speed interpretation......It’s become a nation of careless drivers.....Lockdowns over let’s play Wacky racers :eek:

Regardless of what you drive....Driver/riders have more recently forgotten the basis of the Highway Code....Spatial Awareness has gone right out the window as too has speed interpretation......It’s become a nation of careless drivers.....Lockdowns over let’s play Wacky racers :eek:
I agree, a couple of years ago I rode to Turkey and back on my motorbike, I can honestly say the standard of driving here on my return was the worst I came across.

There is a study about fighter pilots that explains why people can look and not see cyclists and motorbikes.
I was interested in this so just Googled it.

Like many other cyclists I have nearly been knocked off while on a roundabout when cars haven’t seen me and assume it’s clear, it is extremely scary when it happens.

The only reliable way to ride defensively is to follow this advice from the article:

“when passing junctions, look at the head of the driver that is approaching or has stopped. The head of the driver will naturally stop and centre upon you if you have been seen. If the driver’s head sweeps through you without pausing, then the chances are that you are in a saccade – you must assume that you have not been seen and expect the driver to pull out!”

I was interested in this so just Googled it.

Like many other cyclists I have nearly been knocked off while on a roundabout when cars haven’t seen me and assume it’s clear, it is extremely scary when it happens.

The only reliable way to ride defensively is to follow this advice from the article:

“when passing junctions, look at the head of the driver that is approaching or has stopped. The head of the driver will naturally stop and centre upon you if you have been seen. If the driver’s head sweeps through you without pausing, then the chances are that you are in a saccade – you must assume that you have not been seen and expect the driver to pull out!”
The trend for cyclists to wear black doesn't help. Even in daylight a black clad cyclist blends into the background too easily, unless like @Pete C, they have lights on.

I'm all for additional motorbike lights. Looking in the mirror in the dark, you expect to see two lights per vehicle. Yes, we all should look out for bikes, but when you are passed by a hundred cars with two lights, subconsciously you are looking for cars.

Seeing only one light makes it harder to judge distance, and it takes a few seconds to decide if it is a bike or a car with only one functioning light.

One light with a couple either side makes for instant recognition.

As a regular bike rider I am dismayed by the number of bikes that appear to be riding with main beam on - especially on modern bikes with LED headlights. Maybe there is a justification on older bikes with poor headlights, but does it really help to dazzle drivers? However, I do feel that auxiliary running lights on a motorbike are beneficial (though they shouldn’t dazzle any more than, say, DRLs).
At least there is some legislation to oversee lights fitted to a motorbike, but I don’t believe there is any for cyclists who also seem to be of the opinion that dazzling other road users is the best way to get noticed. Modern LED bicycle lights can be as powerful as car headlights, and are often used with little regard to others. Passing a peloton of cyclists in the opposite direction at dusk when a few of them have such lights is not a pleasant experience!

@Shaun Witts You say they are auxiliary running lights on motorbikes? Running lights on cars dim or turn off with headlights. On bikes, they tend to be on in conjunction with headlights and as mentioned earlier, those headlights are on main beam. I did see a bike the other day with two pairs of auxiliary lights as well as headlights. It strikes me that 6 bright LED lights is beyond what's necessary to be visible to other traffic in daylight. Surely dipped headlights, as with all vehicles, should be sufficient if DRLs are not a standard fit.

As for bicycles, I've often tounge in cheekly reminded a passing cyclist that he's left his lights on, when I'm out on mine. I do ride with a flashing rear light if conditions dictate, but my front light is static as it's there for me to see where I'm going if I've got caught out as it gets dark.

Reactions: CAB
On a bike you would be amazed how many drivers you see looking straight at you (or through you) who either take a chance or really don’t care.
There’s something about being in that wheeled box that makes you feel indestructible.

@Shaun Witts You say they are auxiliary running lights on motorbikes? Running lights on cars dim or turn off with headlights. On bikes, they tend to be on in conjunction with headlights...
Actually, only DRLs are required to dim with headlights, probably because they are (or should be) bright enough to be noticeable in daylight (hence the name). Auxiliary lights are usually available with either a spread or spot beam pattern for use alongside dipped and main beam respectively.
On my 2015 Triumph Trophy, it is not possible to switch the lights off. They are on whenever the engine is running. So if I fit auxiliary lights to that, the headlights will always be on at the same time. I believe most Triumphs are like that (& probably a few other makes), and auxiliary lights are a factory option for most models.

On a bike you would be amazed how many drivers you see looking straight at you (or through you) who either take a chance or really don’t care.
There’s something about being in that wheeled box that makes you feel indestructible.
Agreed but that's only half the problem.
Many drivers of cars and vans are too busy paying attention to all the electronics in the vehicle to notice a cyclist.
Touch screens and menus for everything, you can flick an old fashioned switch or turn a dial without taking your eye off the road, try turning your heated seat down on a new Volvo XC60 without taking your eyes off the road for several seconds - impossible.
Manufacturers have fitted every possible distraction into our vehicles, why should anybody need to see their fakebook profile while they are driving?
Police will only interrogate a car's IT systems or the driver's phone if a crash involves death or serious injury, so every day morons are causing collisions and near misses because they are tweeting or on other media whilst driving, so the extent of the problem is not officially known. Nobody causes a collision then admits they were distracted by social media unless they are presented with hard evidence.
Rant over!!!

Having raced bikes for many years as well as being a regular road rider I think a large majority of motorbike riders would be better off having some form or advanced training as to the limits of their bikes, road positioning, defensive riding, awareness etc than worrying about their lights. Shit happens but a lot of what I see could be avoided by at least some sense of anticipation.
A side effect of having spent so much time of race tracks over the years is that I feel no need to 'prove' myself on the road combined with actually knowing how hard I can brake if I need to. It still hasn't stopped twats just driving straight into me on occasion though ;)
For me, if it comforts the rider I don't have a problem with it. I get dazzle far more by car headlights that I do bikes.

Actually, only DRLs are required to dim with headlights, probably because they are (or should be) bright enough to be noticeable in daylight (hence the name). Auxiliary lights are usually available with either a spread or spot beam pattern for use alongside dipped and main beam respectively.
On my 2015 Triumph Trophy, it is not possible to switch the lights off. They are on whenever the engine is running. So if I fit auxiliary lights to that, the headlights will always be on at the same time. I believe most Triumphs are like that (& probably a few other makes), and auxiliary lights are a factory option for most models.

Is it the headlight that is on all the time? I thougth it was a DRL all the time, then when the light level gets lower the headlights come on automatically (but can be turned on during the day as well.) Then there is the hight bean setting. I thought Triumphs were like this also.

Having raced bikes for many years as well as being a regular road rider I think a large majority of motorbike riders would be better off having some form or advanced training as to the limits of their bikes, road positioning, defensive riding, awareness etc than worrying about their lights. Shit happens but a lot of what I see could be avoided by at least some sense of anticipation.
A side effect of having spent so much time of race tracks over the years is that I feel no need to 'prove' myself on the road combined with actually knowing how hard I can brake if I need to. It still hasn't stopped twats just driving straight into me on occasion though ;)
For me, if it comforts the rider I don't have a problem with it. I get dazzle far more by car headlights that I do bikes.

I couldn't agree more strongly with ever point in this post (in fact I could have written it myself except I haven't been driven/ridden into yet by anyone (touch wood)).

Is it the headlight that is on all the time? I thougth it was a DRL all the time, then when the light level gets lower the headlights come on automatically (but can be turned on during the day as well.) Then there is the hight bean setting. I thought Triumphs were like this also.

I couldn't agree more strongly with ever point in this post (in fact I could have written it myself except I haven't been driven/ridden into yet by anyone (touch wood)).
I thought you might. ;)
Fortunately I have only had a couple of rare occurrences in the last 25 years

Back