Motorbikes!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Phantom, 19 Oct 2018.

1. Phantom

Phantom Senior Member T6 Pro

Map
    Hi All

I know there are some avid bikers on here so thought I would ask the question! Doing my CBT this weekend and used to ride trials bikes as a kid but being in mid life crisis territory thought I would pick it back up!

I generally like being overpowered but also not looking to kill myself, need a bike to go out for a Sunday ride / down to the sailing club etc on. No idea what I should be looking to buy!! Any ideas / advice very welcome as tend to rush into these things. Kid in sweet shop springs to mind!

Thank you

Nick

2. Dieseldonkey

Dieseldonkey 150 DSG Shuttle Conversion VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Suzuki SV650. Popular bike for folk starting off. Know many people, including me that had one as their first. Cheap to run, forgiving (for a motorbike). Being a V twin it's plenty torque to pull you out of trouble when you select the wrong gear or are just wanting to be lazy. Proven mechanicals. Available naked or the S version has plastic. SV1000 available too if you want more grunt. Comfy enough to ride all day long and not as extreme or compact as the current range of 600cc sports bikes. Shouldn't cost much to insure either.

Phantom likes this.
  3. Kevin Bird

Kevin Bird Member

As above, or the Bandit for the inline four option...

Kev

Phantom likes this.
  4. Littleblackflash

Littleblackflash Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    For me it depends on your budget and how long you will ride it.

I could ride my BMW1200gs all day across europe but my Ducati or RnineT I can only ride for an hour before needing to get off.

I also ride trials and you get used to the low down torque. I would go for a V-twin bike for the torque rather than a high reving bandit. Either way, you'll soon want more power etc...

Good luck

Phantom likes this.
  5. Stigofthedub

Stigofthedub Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Been in a similar position. I used to do trials on a montessa years ago. Like most of us the biking urge comes back with a vengeance around 50. I got a Honda vfr 800 (V4 engine). It's so smooth and when you rev beyond 7k the VTEC kicks in and it pulls like a train. Also because it's classified as a sports tourer the insurance is a bit easier on the pocket.
    On the down side, after a couple of hours on it my back does start to ache a bit. The Mrs loves being pillion.
    They seem to hold their price well too.
    Good luck. Let us know what you get.

Phantom likes this.
  6. Fish

Fish Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    PW50.. :whistle:

T6180 and Phantom like this.
  7. Phantom

Map
    Thank you All! Great advice! Just about to pull the trigger on this ....................... :)

IMG-20181019-WA0005.jpg

Phil Harris likes this.
  8. PipeMonkey

PipeMonkey Member VIP Member

Map
    Think you’ll find it has a throttle rather than a trigger!

Fish likes this.
  9. DaveyB

DaveyB Senior Member Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Triumph street triple.

Mick Robson likes this.
  10. PipeMonkey

Map
    Triumph triples are cracking bikes.
    Aprilia Tuono are another nice bike.

11. Dogs Dung

Dogs Dung Senior Member T6 Pro

il just leave this here

kawasakiz900.png

12. PipeMonkey

Map
    This is what I currently lust after.

AE4B16D3-9623-486B-97AB-BA9A601097A3.jpeg

Phantom, T6180, Fish and 1 other person like this.
  13. DaveyB

Map
    If only I had the balls to get back on a bike, plus the money to buy one.
    27F48B87-582E-41AA-93B1-A6F7BB746134.jpeg

Phantom and Ghost like this.
  14. Fish

Fish Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    You'd be dead!

15. DaveyB

Map
    Indeed. That is why I got rid of the Gixer 1000.

16. Ghost

Ghost Senior Member T6 Pro

Map
    What cc are you allowed to ride?

It feels like the law changes every year on this, was thinking up to 125?

17. Dieseldonkey

Dieseldonkey 150 DSG Shuttle Conversion VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    @Phantom . Would highly recommend doing a Bikesafe course.

BikeSafe

Try your local or neighbouring Constabulary to see if they run one. You'll probably be surprised at how it improves your observation skills and teaches you correct positioning on the road, now that your a quarter of the width of a T6. Helps with hazard perception and rider skills to keep you alive out there.

Remember, now that your a biker, every motorist now wants to kill you!

andys, DaveyB, Phantom and 2 others like this.
  18. Littleblackflash

Map
    Nice. I have a RnineT Sport at the moment and it's a fun easy bike to ride. But the engine isn't great and the bike is a little too small for me. I work for BMW and get a company car and bike to I only have them 5 months before it's returned to a dealer to sell. I've ordered a 1200GS Advanture TE for collection in January. The 1250GS isn't available to us yet.

19. Phantom

Map
    Thank you Littleblack flash, I'm 6ft but not ridden in yet! Did my CBT Sat morning by lunchtime then been on this (pic below) pretty much all weekend! Done some miles and quite scary not going lie! But going well and out again this afternoon! Theory booked tomorrow so getting on with it! Hopefully Mod 1 this week but need to get theory before I can book!
    Not pulled the trigger yet on Rnine T (Dorchester) BMW) but was going to today as weekend went well, 67 plate 1k ex demo 11,999. Will obviously try and beat them up alittle!
    Should I be considering a 1200GS instead? (need to google). Know nothing about bikes and no exact hurry just want one :)

IMG-20181020-WA0007.jpg

20. Littleblackflash

Map
    RnineT is a great first bike.

It's easy to ride and doesn't stall easily at junctions, which is where most bikes are dropped. The low down weight make it easy to ride in town and yet still powerful enough on the open road.
    It doesn't have a balance shaft in the engine, so when you blip the throttle the bike wobbles side to side. A bit like a V8 in an american car. There isn't a screen so motorway riding isn't fun.
    All round its a really nice first bike.

Don't go for the 1200GS like me. They are 250kg many find them to big to move about. Once on the road, they are an amazing bike which I'm planning to take all round the alps in the new year. I couldn't do a trip like that on a RnineT

Phantom likes this.