MOT Passed but front bush warn advisory

Mistuk

Air-Traffic Controller
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi there,

Van passed it's first MOT yesterday, but with an advisory that both front bushes were worn but not resulting in excessive movement.

Can someone let me know if this is something I need to get done quickly (about to have new set of tyres if that makes a difference)?

The van is not lowered.

What brand should I look for and how much is it likely to cost for supply and fit?

Thanks!

There are several bushes - wishbone, ARB. Does the advisory say which ones? If wishbone I’d be inclined to get sorted soon if you’re having new tyres.

Ian

There are several bushes - wishbone, ARB. Does the advisory say which ones? If wishbone I’d be inclined to get sorted soon if you’re having new tyres.

Ian
It says front lower suspension arm pin or bush......... - the tyres hard worn evenly to date if that's any indication

It could effect tyre wear and more than likely will, hows your handling feel
It feels ok - but then I've got nothing to compare it to really! I'll get my local garage to get it done - presumably not an expensive job?

I had my first MOT yesterday and the same problem both wishbone bushes gone, initially the station wanted to fail my MOT but they checked again and considered is not yet a safety issue but not far away. I'm shocked to see after 3 years and already changed shock absorbers, struts, bushing...etc the wishbones are gone.... Just shocking how poor build quality these vans have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my first MOT yesterday and the same problem both wishbone bushes gone, initially the station wanted to fail my MOT but they checked again and considered is not yet a safety issue but not far away. I'm shocked to see after 3 years and already changed shock absorbers, struts, bushing...etc the wishbones are gone.... Just shocking how poor build quality these vans have.
What sort of mileage have you got on your van?

Well the dealer said he try to replace everything under warranty so fingers crossed. They already repalced shock absorbers, strut mounts and other bushes couple of months ago.
I have a friend with a Passat and he said it's pretty normal with VW, they have very poor supension in general.

My mates T6 4wd went in for a minor service the other day think it’s done about 60k and he was told his were dangerously worn also. They said it’s because he tows a lot with the van and to try to not use it for that in the future!

i was told on my 1st M O T in 2019 ( 2016 ) there was movement in the bushes but VW said they are rubber mounted bushes it might look like movement to non VW testers . they Should't be worn out had done only 15000 miles and replacing lower wishbone bushes was expensive i wonder if this is what they are seeing

Disappointing. I’ve got 165k on my wife’s Audi and that’s on original bushes!
20 year old A4 with 206K, I’ve just changed the droplinks as there was slight play, all other bushes original except upper arms which last about 2 years on Devon lanes.
They don’t make ’em like they used to.

20 year old A4 with 206K, I’ve just changed the droplinks as there was slight play, all other bushes original except upper arms which last about 2 years on Devon lanes.
They don’t make ’em like they used to.
Ha! B6 A4, same as. I put new drop links on last year as an advisory on the MOT but all other parts are original.

Hi there,

Van passed it's first MOT yesterday, but with an advisory that both front bushes were worn but not resulting in excessive movement.

Can someone let me know if this is something I need to get done quickly (about to have new set of tyres if that makes a difference)?

The van is not lowered.

What brand should I look for and how much is it likely to cost for supply and fit?

Thanks!
Hello- I found your post because I've just had exactly the same thing. I've only had the van 12 months and have no idea what it is. Can you remember how much it was to sort in the end? Thank you

i was told on my 1st M O T in 2019 ( 2016 ) there was movement in the bushes but VW said they are rubber mounted bushes it might look like movement to non VW testers . they Should't be worn out had done only 15000 miles and replacing lower wishbone bushes was expensive i wonder if this is what they are seeing
Not sure if that’s just VW BS but when I went to get my tracking done after the suspension was lowered after only a few 1000 miles the guy said there was no point as there was too much movement in the bushes, I took it back to Steve at CRS and he couldn’t see any issue with them. My first MOT is on Monday! :eek: Luckily it’s at a VW garage though;)

me too s @ 18000 miles ii then enquired to VW who said it was unlikely at that milage.... it seems Non VW MOT test Centres see the rubber mounts as movement or wear.

Back