Moll battery - result

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
My T6 warranty expires in two weeks time.

I’ve just had a service and had a pre end of warranty check. Everything was fine but my Moll battery ( and subject of much info on here) which has been a bit suspect for a while was replaced FOC under warranty.
Lessons
1. Always have a pre end of warranty check
2. Ditch the Moll

I had my dodgy moll checked out at Vw Preston they claimed it passed all their tests warranty runs out in July battery still dodgy, should I just replace it or wait and see if they find fault at pre warranty check?

I had my dodgy moll checked out at Vw Preston they claimed it passed all their tests warranty runs out in July battery still dodgy, should I just replace it or wait and see if they find fault at pre warranty check?
What makes you think is dodgy? (If they say it passed)

Reactions: Loz
Get it checked out independently before the warranty expires. Upon reflection, mine was showing signs of not holding a charge for the last year or so. If it’s a problem now, then it isn’t going to get any better.

Get it checked out independently before the warranty expires. Upon reflection, mine was showing signs of not holding a charge for the last year or so. If it’s a problem now, then it isn’t going to get any better.
Thanks for that

I have a Moll battery and I’ve not had an issue with it. I can leave the van 2-3 months and it turn over straight away. :)

I’ve just had my van serviced at VW Preston. I asked them to check the Moll battery because it was reading 11.6v within 3-4 days of last being used. I did point out that it had never let me down (but my TSI is probably easier to start than a diesel).
Pleased to say that they found it defective and replaced it under warranty and also checked for an erroneous drain, either by the van or the conversion electronics, but all was OK.

whats going on with those whites?

they should be on a chassis ground and not direct across the battery.

can we see another pic with the flap up?

1606483265276.png

looks .like the similar battery as they gave me in 2018 . . . . (my factory AUX battery)

but mine was a VARTA EFB+ 000 915 105 FC

They said they had to change like for like?

1606483658162.png

whats going on with those whites?

they should be on a chassis ground and not direct across the battery.

can we see another pic with the flap up?
Those circled “white” wires are part of the PF Jones towbar harness, connected as per the instructions I believe.
Why should they be to chassis?
2A6AEB7B-9EFA-44C3-A1C9-640DB5030D22.jpeg

yeh, 100% defo,

we've had this with other members . . .

basically the vans "power management system" wont account for any power thats drawn by that tow bar kit.

and can lead to messed up battery charging and a flat battery.

it's an easy fix, just move to chassis ground, or fit a chassis ground busbar . . .

The manufacturers install guide is correct for NON-STOP/START cars/vans.

On stop/start like the T6, ALL -ve/0ve/grounds must go to the chassis ground and NOT go direct to the battery.

This is so the battery monitor can correctly monitor the power in/out.

its called "bridging out the monitor" and should not be done . . .

the cover gives an indication to this issue to . . . . . about NOT connecting battery chargers to the battery NEG post, but to use a body ground instead!

1606489338508.png

My issue with this is the VW have NOT provided a ground post near to the battery for this purpose (like most other manufactures do)

more info on it here:
FYI, this is the battery power monitor:
1606489071449.png

Last edited:
I have those same white wires on my PF Jones towbar installation. They are bolted to ground on the right of the battery by the bonnet hinge bracket.
Should be easy to move them there by the look of things.

Pete

would that be like this @Pete C ?

1606495207236.png

Thats the position i use for my ground BusBar too . . .

1606495294163.png

yeh, 100% defo,

we've had this with other members . . .

basically the vans "power management system" wont account for any power thats drawn by that tow bar kit.

and can lead to messed up battery charging and a flat battery.

it's an easy fix, just move to chassis ground, or fit a chassis ground busbar . . .

The manufacturers install guide is correct for NON-STOP/START cars/vans.

On stop/start like the T6, ALL -ve/0ve/grounds must go to the chassis ground and NOT go direct to the battery.

This is so the battery monitor can correctly monitor the power in/out.

its called "bridging out the monitor" and should not be done . . .

the cover gives an indication to this issue to . . . . . about NOT connecting battery chargers to the battery NEG post, but to use a body ground instead!

My issue with this is the VW have NOT provided a ground post near to the battery for this purpose (like most other manufactures do)

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I shall look at moving them ASAP.

I have those same white wires on my PF Jones towbar installation. They are bolted to ground on the right of the battery by the bonnet hinge bracket.
Should be easy to move them there by the look of things.

Pete
Thanks for the advice. That looks close enough.

I am surprised that the VW dealer didn’t mention this or even offer to move those wires when they replaced the battery and checked for any drain on the battery?

Back