Good work on the speakers. I've just changed mine too but managed to break most of the door clips so waiting on some new ones before I can refit the door cards!

image.jpg

@Pauly it was one of these. I realised I would need to make a connection so I just cut this one off and crimped the cable to the stock cable! Thanks anyway.

@Neilson yeah they’re a t**t eh!

So a rare sunny day in Scotland meant I could fit the door speakers recently purchased from @Absolut5

Firstly I checked the forum for how to remove the door cards, pauly has a picture on a thread somewhere but essentially it’s two plastic lock bolts on the underside and pull off the three clips either side, after you’ve removed the window button. View attachment 18400

One thing I found out here is the need to remove the cover to the pull handle and then take out the two torq bolts that hold the handle to the door.

View attachment 18399

With the cover off you’re left with the standard oem speaker, this has been riveted in so will need drilling. I knew my eleven years in the RAF fixing aircraft skin would come in handy! If you’re worried about doing this then don’t be. Use a 5mm hss drill bit and drill them slowly, the worst thing you can do is push really hard as the drill will grab the rivet and it will start to spin. If this does happen then go on to the next one. Hopefully you will manage all of them off clean. If one does spin then lightly prise the speaker away from the skin and this will tighten the rivet.

View attachment 18398

With the old speaker off, and all of the rivet tails removed from the inside of the door! Fit the cnc collars supplied. I used stainless steel M5 Allan bolts 20mm long with nyloc washers. You must use nyloc or some form of locking mechanism as the last thing you want is them to come loose. These were bought from Screwfix! When you orientate the collar make sure you have it around enough to allow both parts of the connection to be made.

View attachment 18397

At this point I offered up the speaker, connected it and gave it a test. All working well I fitted it to the collar. I opted to fit different screws as the black ones provided weren’t the best quality shall we say!

After fitting the speaker I silent coated the skin of the door and the inner of the door card. Then refitted all the pieces ensuring I didn’t forget the door clip! Do’h.

View attachment 18396

Here’s the drivers side also.

I removed the a pillar trims to have a look at the tweeters but will leave it for a different day, I’m guessing they need to be prised off and the new ones glued in? @Pauly do you have any of the vw connectors so I can fit the crossovers!
I like these little how to do guides , I really worry about doing stuff on my van, still have my leisure battery and ctek charger sat in the garage hoping they magically fit themselves :rofl:

668CB069-DE7D-4303-92A2-C0EBE0646920.jpeg

I got around to fitting the tweeters today.

Remove the A Pillar grab handle and then the trim pops off towards the centre of the van. With the trim removed you can take it to somewhere dry!

The tweeters are glued in, as are the tweeter mounts. The best thing to do is use a wood chisel, or a sharp knife and cut off the fixing. It’s soft so pointless to drill. Then I cut off the VW clip and terminated it to the crossover. Then I attached the crossover to the tweeter and glued the tweeter in place. I used araldite as it’s really strong and really quick.

After a bit of a journey this afternoon I can say I’m really pleased with the sound of the speakers and sub. I have had to remove my single passenger seat and put back my double as I need to transport five people tomorrow. Will see how the sound system is with just the speakers.

Thanks to @Absolut5 for all the kit!

So after a few months of using the van with the new set up I can hear a high pitched ringing when the van is on, i assume its coming from the amp, and not the inside of my ear? Anyone got any idea what it could be and how to fix it. It wasn't there when I had the stock set up fitted.

So after a few months of using the van with the new set up I can hear a high pitched ringing when the van is on, i assume its coming from the amp, and not the inside of my ear? Anyone got any idea what it could be and how to fix it. It wasn't there when I had the stock set up fitted.
I have the same thing happening at the moment. I can hear it if I’m sitting in a certain position on the drivers seat. I traced it back to under my drivers seat where my second battery and DC-DC charger is and also my amp. When I pulled the DC-DC charger fuse it stopped and started again when I replaced it. It happens with the van ignition switched off. This was on the last trip but I’ve not had a chance to investigate further. You can only hear it when sitting in certain positions as it’s like a high pitched frequency

I have the same thing happening at the moment. I can hear it if I’m sitting in a certain position on the drivers seat. I traced it back to under my drivers seat where my second battery and DC-DC charger is and also my amp. When I pulled the DC-DC charger fuse it stopped and started again when I replaced it. It happens with the van ignition switched off. This was on the last trip but I’ve not had a chance to investigate further. You can only hear it when sitting in certain positions as it’s like a high pitched frequency

Thats odd! My dc-dc charger is way back in my units so it can't be that, I might pull the amp fuse and see if its related to that. It's annoying as I have to put the music up loud to drown it out!

I had a twin USB in the 12v socket that was ringing before, i noticed it when i leant over my drivers seat to pick something up inbetween the two captain chairs.

What amp are you running? Mine is a JL audio. You have now got me thinking it could have been the amp fuse I pulled. I’ll make a point of checking one night this week

I have a rainbow dream. I don't understand why it's buzzing, or what I can do to stop it. I'm in egypt at the moment so would be interesting to hear your results.

43EFDC34-D853-4766-8DEA-0D327B9242C6.jpeg

Comfort dash centre console added today, I followed the excellent guide on here by @ZipcodeUK

Everything was straight foreword and simple. The worst thing was getting the cigarette lighter out. I’ll get some better finished pics up later on.

Came back from offshore to find the van dead, battery was at 5v. Not too happy about this. Had the smart charger on for a few hours now and it’s getting to 12v slowly but surely. Don’t know how it’s happened as the two things connected to the battery, dc-dc charger and an amp, both have ignition feeds!

So after the trip to Arran, with a dog and a three month old, I realised that the comfort dash centre and hidden cigarette lighter made the dash look really untidy when charging my phone. The usb on the dash is useless for charging phones also.

So I decided to wire in an independent usb off the existing 12v supply to the cigarette lighter, and then hide the cable through the dash and come out just under my phone holder. Results are in the picture below.

5F60F155-63BA-44A5-B677-96C6A7D3006A.jpeg

EBB5E378-DE6A-40D5-9F42-D17A269D7ECE.jpeg

So I bit the bullet and ordered an F45 last time I was offshore. It arrived nice and quick from JustKampers, along with the brackets.

After speaking to the guy who fitted my roof, he said you can just drill a hole in front of the roof hinge and use a rivnut. Put it as close to the hinge as possible so you’re still supporting the rear of the awning.

0913F7C7-C2D9-4B09-B7B2-FBAB4C888917.jpeg

After drilling a 10mm hole, through both skin’s. I fitted the stainless rivnut.

AFDDB964-C1AF-4868-BE97-9CC2C0B7FC8B.jpeg

I got carried away with work here rather than taking pictures. There wasn’t anything out of the ordinary here though. I did think the rear bracket was a bit pissed when fitted so I evened it out with an additional spacer, this made the awning sit flush with the bracket so worked for me.

30D86F41-3DAC-484F-9803-91073C43E463.jpeg

Looks like a great piece of kit, given me an excuse to buy more accessories, will probably get the extra support for the roof and some hooks??

Purchased one of the Fiamma strengthening beams during lockdown, looking forward to getting out in the van when im home next. @saxoboy has delivered his LED lights and Pauly's looms are en-route. Will show some pics when i'm next home. Looking to get my conversion thread revived!

Needed a bit of electrical boost as my current AGM battery has had a few deadly discharges. My partner is away i nthe van just now and after one day with a fridge on and the heater on cool overnight. When she turned it off in the morning it wouldn't start up again. The voltage dropped to 10.6 when she tried.

On recommendation from @Dellmassive I have opted for one of the Valance LiFePo4 batteries. I'm currently offshore and will be for another month so it'll all be waiting for me when I get home. I have gone for a Victron 10a charger, a Victron LBP and a Renogy 50a set up. Will post my conversion and pics here when I get around to it.

Back