Did you get yours from Kiravans @Bryn23

The one I bought for my old van had ‘support plates’ but they weren’t very sturdy and bent when I tightened up the bolts. I do have three spare as I made five and will only be fitting two.

Andy

Nah, i got my though a company that order them and brings them into Australia.

i ordered mine in with a higher frame, so i could fit a porta potty underneath on a sliding frame.

I also had them fit it as it needed an engineer plate for legal installation here.

Its out of the van now and sitting up on the mezzanine floor at the moment until i finish lining the van.

I've got 6 fittings that i need to look at.

I might just go and get some 40mm x 40mm x 3mm square washers in mild steel and paint them black

Ah of course, you’re down under. Yeah they’re worth it just for support to the frame. They should make them with a solid insert really to stop the box section bending. I probably went overkill on 4mm but I didnt want it to bend and they’re hidden anyway.

Im not sure why they don't weld on a renforcing washer during construction, its not really a hard job, nor an expensive exercise.

My holes where predrilled

Im sure i don't have welded washer's on mine, i'll have to have a look as its at the workshop,

I remember the tube deforming, don't remember the washer.

having said that I've welded up a fair bit of steel structures in the last two months, and it was properly one of my jobs that i didn't put a washer on.

A few changes been made to the conversion. The third door was very close to the RIB when open and restricted it a bit. I chose to change the door to a tambour rather than mess around with the bed. It’s on a slider and even fully back, the rear cushion is tight against the tailgate and the door cant quite fully open. The tambour is great and allows access without the hinderence of a door anyway.

FB3235A7-6DE3-451E-B639-99452DD37393.jpeg

I got my new kickboard from the units company as I had originally specced for a non slider. This ones totally different with the hinges being on the bottom as there isn’t any space above as it needs to slide. Took a bit of adjusting but happy with the finish now.

097270BF-929E-4202-8944-E719FEB94BC2.jpeg

Now everything was fully fitted and not being removed anytime soon I could fit the little pieces. Here’s a cargo net to hold my guide book when in bed/on the seat. Will also House my phone when I’m sleeping, with the twin USB fitted to the side it will be fully charged by the morning!

ACD1B2D8-D97C-4612-8564-390C18C970BA.jpeg

I bought some thermal screens, quick fit just now and I think they look good and fit good. Time will tell when I’m away for a night or two weather they help or not!

3B224B9B-64A6-47AB-B5DA-2EF10ABB6F7C.jpeg

Next up is the World Curling championships in Switzerland. Then I’ll get an Eber and fit that before the winter really takes a hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Eberspacher turned up when I returned from Switzerland. I bought it from Jay at Xtremevan, great customer service and it arrived when i asked it to!
810824E6-A87D-4E21-A2FB-75BF72D2B873.jpeg

First up was to drop the fuel tank. I put the front of the van up on a ramp ready to do the rest of the work. unscrewed the middle step from the tank and then used a jack to hold it whilst it was lowered.

F0594024-6650-4AB8-96E1-D1630F21B28B.jpeg

When it was lowered we removed the sender unit and drilled the hole for the pick up pipe.

C91DD425-CAE8-4F59-99E7-CF3E6E12CD0F.jpeg

With the tank back on we routed the fuel pipe around the van and then attached the unit to the chassis. I used three Rivnuts, two for the mounting plate and one for the P-Clip.

5538A852-019D-4620-BC08-A1FA3BF7E8F6.jpeg

Gave the unit a quick run up as the electrics were not overly clearly marked. Managed to work everything out and got the fuel through the pipes and the unit fired up fourth time!, lovely warm air came straight out the duct!!

EA41D59E-57EB-45B9-A8C4-0F0B5B46B73D.jpeg

Last edited:
Didn't manage to get any other pictures as we were against the time and the weather was crap!!!!

One question to people who have fitted an Eber before, @xpfloyd ???. I will be running the power cable from my fusebox on my leisure battery. The power cable then splits into two, one for the unit and one for the controller. What size fuses are needed here? The ones supplied didn't match up with the three provided???? I will make up the fusebox that came with the Eber and fit it within my battery compartment. The main fuse I will have as the top ampage.

Thanks

Finished off the install this morning. Routed the cables behind the units. One into the battery bay and one to the rear of the switch panel. Managed to drill the holes for the unit without having to remove the panel, threaded the cables through the holes and hid them away.1302E0BA-AFEE-44E1-AAD4-A3B11A105328.jpeg

Really impressed with the heat it kicks out. Can’t believe I lived without one in my old vans.

Will buy some sealant for the air duct holes and seal them.

If anyone in the local area wants a hand let me know!

Finished off the install this morning. Routed the cables behind the units. One into the battery bay and one to the rear of the switch panel. Managed to drill the holes for the unit without having to remove the panel, threaded the cables through the holes and hid them away.View attachment 14447

Really impressed with the heat it kicks out. Can’t believe I lived without one in my old vans.

Will buy some sealant for the air duct holes and seal them.

If anyone in the local area wants a hand let me know!
Nice and neat that Drew, good job

I’m mentally jealous of your handy work. If only I had the time (who am I kidding) I mean talent.

Where did you get your units? I’ve got 2 weeks off mid November so need to decide what I want and get an order in quick sharp....

Thanks @Andrew

I got them from Pete at Magestic Wood Design in Bristol. He’s on Facebook and messenger is the best way to get inTouch. He’s really helpful and will provide you with all you need. The units are well thought out with no wasted space at all. Give him a phone and let him know I’ve recommended him.

Has anyone ever had their heater stop working. It only works when in level four, which is obviously far too much and too loud. It’s booked in with VW for Thursday but was hoping to look at it myself. I doubt it’s a fuse, unless it’s separate fuses for different settings @Pauly ?

The heater dial feed goes through some form of potentiometer/variable resistor to set the speed of the fan (think dimmer switch on lighting) the controls always use full power but on settings one to three some energy is used by the resistor to limit the speed of the van but setting four allows full juice to the fan (full speed) my guess would be that the resistor is knackered hence the loss of the lower speeds but not speed four

Back