I have purchased a RIB.

It's a slider which I didn't necessarily want but was a good price. Need to return the kick board as it needs changing. My insurance is due on the first so trying to see if they will cut a deal as it will be fully converted to a camper a week after it's due. See what they say tomorrow.

IMG_6497.JPG

RIB arrived just before I was offshore. I fitted the Kiravans strengthening frame yesterday to find I only have two pre drilled holes. I'm working out the other dimensions and will be fitting the other bolts next week. Also waiting on five spacers for the top of the bed so it doesn't crush the box section when I tighten them up.IMG_6501.JPG

Awaiting some new panels from the unit company as the ones provided don't fit, also the third cupboard doesn't open with the rib fitted, he did send a picture through from another build which was very tight. He is sending a full tambour door kit so can't complain. All in all the company is very good and fixed any issues straight away and so far at no cost to me.

IMG_6689.JPG

With the Scottish weather being as reliable as it is and no access to a garage I had to wait for a dry day to fit my dummy window. I watched the Kiravans video over and over to make sure I wouldn't mess it up. Everything I've done so far is inside the van so not visible to everyone if I made a mistake.

IMG_6692.JPG

Pleased with the result, I bought the windows from Kiravans and had to paint the inside to ensure you couldn't see the paint if the sun shone direct on it. Just after I bought it TransportedHQ released a fully black one. Oh well.

I sprayed the inside a few times yesterday to ensure a good finish. Applied the activator and then primer. Waited fifteen minutes for it to dry then stuck on the adhesive, ensuring I left a gap for any moisture and air to escape, this is at the bottom. Offered up the glass and made the important edges square, to the glass in front and the bottom panel. Now it's curing and will be usable tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_6729.JPG
My mate knocked up these spacers for the top of the RIB as it didn't have any extra support. I didn't want to tighten up the bolts straight onto box section. Will paint them today and fit them tomorrow hopefully.

IMG_6728.JPG
V5 has come back registered as a camper van now!

Last edited by a moderator:
LWB is the way forward. I had a swb and would now never go back. Yeah the swb is cheaper and possibly looks better when modified and lowered, but for comfort when camping a LWB is one of my essentials.

Yep, I had LWB last time (and high top) but went for SWB this time and the convenience of being able to get into the same garages/parking spaces as my car has meant me being able to use the van in situations I couldn't before. Don't think I'd go back to LWB now. Different strokes etc :thumbsup:

The van is my daily driver so no issues with LWB/SWB. The main draw for a SWB will be cost and the availability of them I think. My base van would be almost 2k cheaper in SWB.

The SWB has far nicer proportions and whilst thats my opinion Id say most would agree.

I also agree with @andys in that they are far more user friendly as a daily driver so dont think the cost is the reason for most people choosing them at all.

As for whacking a fake window on the side I just dont get it, must just be a cosmetic preference, but to me its just extra weight and cost for no gain. Dont take it the wrong way I love seeing your progress, Im just opinionated ha

Last edited:
A few people don't agree with fake windows, I'll be fitting two windows to the near side and the fact that the far side will only have one window it wouldn't look right. I like the look of the full run of glass, especially on a lighter colour van.

Now that does look crap. I've seen a van with black vinyl stuck in replace of windows. Looks ok if you're 500m away but upclose looks so bad. The whole window and fitting kit cost circa £70 and about 30 min to fix.

Now that does look crap. I've seen a van with black vinyl stuck in replace of windows. Looks ok if you're 500m away but upclose looks so bad. The whole window and fitting kit cost circa £70 and about 30 min to fix.
IMO the added rear dark glass adds about £2k worth of looks to a leisure vehicle. But hey, I am biases.:)

IMG_6758.JPG

Had a night up in ballater for some climbing with my mate. He brought my Devonports along with him that I picked up from a guy who had changed to larger tyres.

Will fit them next week and then some 40mm drop.

3F9AE601-3285-42FE-8658-971C79F5B2EB.jpeg

Finally go round to fitting the RIB at the front. My mate made up some plates out of 4mm stainless, 40mm by 45mm so they overlap the box section. I had to remove the bed, mark and drill the holes 130mm from the edge then refit the bed, mark the holes in the floor then drill them out. Finally re fit the bed ensuring it is square. If I’m honest I think 130mm was only just enough. You could go 150mm easily and not hit anything under the van.63501D20-8609-45C9-ABDE-C13CFD2E7A2E.jpeg

I picked up the Devonports last week and have been busy every day. Got round to fitting them last night and washed the van this morning. Looking great. Working out if I will lower it or not. I love the look of a lowered van but I need to drive down lanes when climbing and don’t want to hamper anything.

I like the idea of the washer plates, i might have to look at that when i put my RIB back in, as i noticed the mount bar has deflected a little from the bolt pressure.

Back