Modifying A Consumer Unit?

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Would it be a bad idea to let a single gang unswitched mains socket into the side of a consumer unit under the drivers seat?
It looks like there is plenty of room in the unit, good space between the internals.
The idea is to retain the mains plug on the Victron charger so that I can easily remove it from the van and use it elsewhere occasionally.
There is also room to put a bulkhead mounted single box next to the consumer unit but that would not be so neat.
Any regulations against or a bad idea?

I see no reason not to. I've got an unswitched single socket outlet on a 1m fly lead coming from my consumer unit.

Would it be a bad idea to let a single gang unswitched mains socket into the side of a consumer unit under the drivers seat?
It looks like there is plenty of room in the unit, good space between the internals.
The idea is to retain the mains plug on the Victron charger so that I can easily remove it from the van and use it elsewhere occasionally.
There is also room to put a bulkhead mounted single box next to the consumer unit but that would not be so neat.
Any regulations against or a bad idea?

Nope, as long as its done correctly, good practice etc and fused correctly. 16A MCB with 2.5mm cable. Dont use twin and earth - that is a NO NO:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Cheers,
Ian:thumbsup:

It's fine. 10 amp breaker and 1.5 mm cable will be perfectly adequate here.
That is fine for cable protection but the max fuse in a plugtop is 13a so potentially you will get nuisance tripping if you plug a 13a appliance in. Of course you may say that you only intend to use appliance less than 10a which will be fine. Just bear that in mind.

Back