Mobile speed camera placement theory.

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
I was watching a history tv doc about the placement of pill boxes in WW2 Britain. Some were even camourflaged as post offices, and other such clever ideas. Anyway, as the presenters discussed things on their walkabout it emerged that the idea was that an invading army would soon spot the pill box within a couple of seconds, BUT those two seconds was all that was needed for the pill box to do its job.

And so it is with mobile speed cameras. I have been driving around with all this in mind. I am thinking, 'So just as I get over that brow of a hill would be were they would get me, where they would be waiting for me to get me as soon as I came into their view, they would have the advantage as they would know where to expect me to show up, whereas I would have to scan and survey the scene'.

Sometimes, as the road meanders on its course, there can be a slight bend/undulation to the side which cannot be seen on approaching, though the road beyond can be seen and seem all clear, and you would spot the mobile camera within one second, but so accurately aimed on the exact position you will travel, that it will be too late, as one second or half a second is all that is required for you to be nabbed.

I suggest it is worth amusing yourself with this 'game' of spotting good potential placements, like if you was in a jeep heading a column and going to be the first vehicle to make contact as you head into enemy territory. Soon an eye is developed which comes naturally, and it helps you keep your speed down, for, of course, the placements are also chosen which are known for those tiny momentary topping of the speed limit as one enters an open clear road, or approaching a hill, etc, where it would take you a second to check yourself and slow. I believe it is possible to foresee placements.

Of course the idea is to never ever speed, but the reality is that we ALL do, and what I mean by this is that if it was to put to everyone in the country that there was a free vehicle and fuel and running costs which you could have, but if you EVER once went over the speed limit at even 1 mph then you would have to spend the rest of your life in a hard labour camp then no-one at all would ever drive again, ever, no-one, because everyone one knows there are naturally odd moments with the best driving in the world. And this is where the mobile cameras will be placed, so it is best to get into their way of thinking so you can forewarn yourself of these a-touch-over-the-limit-places where they can see you before you see them, like the idea with pill box placement.

I know we have all put such thought to this matter, but I just thought that idea of pill box placements helped crystalize the job a bit more, so worth mentioning.

If anyone has any thought/tips/ideas about this subject of placement I would be interested to learn. I bet there will be a text book somewhere, bound to be, certainly in the army.

Back