[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Dash top 12V socket works when there is only starter battery installed (no factory installed second battery). Victron can be left permananetly - the drain is not significant, approx. 20mA.

For short runs I'd use 1.5mm² wire - it carries safely up to 10 Amps but is still flexible (could go even down to 1.0mm²).

What I have found tricky even at these current levels is the connection between the plug and 12V socket. Quite often the (cheapish) plug is making surprisingly poor contact and thus significantly warm up - usually just the center pin of the plug. So check yours after 30 mins of sunshine - first time.
What if you have a factory fitted second battery?

What if you have a factory fitted second battery?
Then top dash 12 V socket is fed from second battery. When engine is running starter and second battery are connected through split-charge relay. When engine is not running the relay is open and thus batteries are separated.

Then top dash 12 V socket is fed from second battery. When engine is running starter and second battery are connected through split-charge relay. When engine is not running the relay is open and thus batteries are separated.
Well you learn something new everyday so front dash socket is starter battery only then?

Last edited:
Thanks, that changes my project slightly. So the split charge relay will only charge the leisure battery when starter battery is full, when ignition is on only?
Actually the factory split charge relay connects the starter battery and leisure battery always when engine is running. Having just ignition on doesn't activate the relay and thus batteries are still separated.

State of charge of starter battery (or of second battery) is not a factor how/when the relay is operated.

The factory installed second battery and split charge relay is a very basic way to connect two batteries. However quite a few Forum members have replaced the relay with more refined solutions.

Actually the factory split charge relay connects the starter battery and leisure battery always when engine is running. Having just ignition on doesn't activate the relay and thus batteries are still separated.

State of charge of starter battery (or of second battery) is not a factor how/when the relay is operated.

The factory installed second battery and split charge relay is a very basic way to connect two batteries. However quite a few Forum members have replaced the relay with more refined solutions.
Hmmm, will look at getting better solution
My previous T5 I did, allowed me to charge the starter battery and once 13.1 volts was reached it would then open and charge the leisure battery
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Reactions: mmi
Hmmm, will look at getting better solution
My previous T5 I did, allowed me to charge the starter battery and once 13.1 volts was reached it would then open and charge the leisure battery
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
If your van is a later model with a smart alternator you should absolutely explore using a DC-DC charger in place of the relay system. If you have a regular alternator, the relay solution is fine.

If your van is a later model with a smart alternator you should absolutely explore using a DC-DC charger in place of the relay system. If you have a regular alternator, the relay solution is fine.
Sorry one last question, how do I know if I have a smart Alternator. The DC-DC charger would that be the Cetek. My van is April 2018 4 Motion T30

Sorry one last question, how do I know if I have a smart Alternator. The DC-DC charger would that be the Cetek. My van is April 2018 4 Motion T30
If your van is a EURO6 model it will have a smart alternator, not sure about EURO5 but someone else will be able to confirm. CTEK250SE is one option for DC-DC charger, yes. There are various others.

If your van is a EURO6 model it will have a smart alternator, not sure about EURO5 but someone else will be able to confirm. CTEK250SE is one option for DC-DC charger, yes. There are various others.
Yep it’s Euro 6 :thumbsup:
Will start checking threads on chargers

I have a CTEK which I’m very pleased with. For me one of the benefits is that it has an inbuilt MPPT solar charger so its easy to add solar to it as well as regular battery to battery charging.
I’m going down solar panel route as well :thumbsup:, where is the voltage relay/switch and I assume there must be a battery cable the finds itself in the vicinity of the leisure battery. Sorry to ask but will be checking this all out at the weekend and you seem to be very knowledgeable from your solar panel testing:cool:

Can’t help with the location of the existing relay as my van wasn’t fitted with a second battery from the factory. It is likely in the engine bay close to the starter battery so I’d look there to start. There will be a cable running from there to your second battery so worst case you can trace it back from the battery.

With regards to the solar panel, the CTEK unit has a max VOC of 23V so before you spend your hard earned, check the panel you’re looking at has a compatible VOC. If it doesn’t you can either look at a different panel or a different DC-DC unit (Without the solar input) and a separate MPPT controller that has a higher VOC.

Factory split charge relay - the relay with marking "100" in the link:

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a cheap (<£100) folding solar panel of around 50W that doesn’t include a solar controller, so just with leads (e.g. MC4 connectors)?

I’d like to put in a Victron MPPT solar controller now ready for a solar panel on the roof in the future, but we haven’t got a pop top fitted yet. So was thinking I could have a cheap folding panel left on the dash to top up the leisure battery for now, with the controller already fitted ready for the future.
did you get your blanket?

did you get your blanket?
No, and it doesn't look like it will be here in time. The site makes out the stock is in the uk but its sent from China to a UK warehouse then sent out from there. Ordered nearly 2 weeks ago, chased it on Friday and they said its not in the Uk yet.
I've told them if its not here on Tuesday then to cancel the order. :(

No, and it doesn't look like it will be here in time. The site makes out the stock is in the uk but its sent from China to a UK warehouse then sent out from there. Ordered nearly 2 weeks ago, chased it on Friday and they said its not in the Uk yet.
I've told them if its not here on Tuesday then to cancel the order. :(
Bugger.

Did all my connecting cables today and used Anderson powerpole as @Dellmassive suggested. I dont have the best crimping tool and found them a t**t to use, struggled to get them to clip into the contact spring. With some practice however I can now to a couple in under an hour :eek::mad:

Back