[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Thank you. Sorry would the victron unit with Bluetooth, only tell me about the solar stuff or would it give me battery info as well, when the panel isn’t connected?
eg: a decent fold up solar panel, With an Anderson connector into the victron unit (to enable quick couple up) on the victron unit connected to the battery all stashed under the passenger seat give me a solar charge and monitoring of the leisure battery? That would be a nice way to do off grid whilst camping and use Bluetooth to keep an eye on battery status.
Thank you

@Loz . . . Gary is also looking for a new panel to connect yup to His ABELMALE AMS.

@Lord Mfwic

i think you are both looking at the Lensun kit circa 150w-200W

Gary showed some interest in the new solar blanket?

View attachment 75231
Ordered today. Told it will be with me next week.
Thanks for all your help and advice with this @Dellmassive :thumbsup: I feel there may be more advice needed when it arrives.

Ordered today. Told it will be with me next week.
Thanks for all your help and advice with this @Dellmassive :thumbsup: I feel there may be more advice needed when it arrives.
I dont use a Victron my self so I'll let one of the users explain what monitoring it does re battery condition.

I notice @Dellmassive reports on his battery conditions using some kind of Bluetooth module in place. What is this Witchcraft???
Very cheap module you attach directly to your battery. Free app for you phone.

Very cheap module you attach directly to your battery. Free app for you phone.
Mine should be here this week. Winging there was from China as we speak. Just been hit by customs fee :cry:

Mine should be here this week. Winging there was from China as we speak. Just been hit by customs fee :cry:
Oh nightmare - how much was the fees if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going to look at getting one of these hence the question.

Thank You

Oh nightmare - how much was the fees if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going to look at getting one of these hence the question.

Thank You
£12 in total inc post office fees. I bought 3 luckily, sure they would have charged the same for 1

Thanks @Blitz thats brilliant. I was going to order 1 and see how they were, but if its £12 customs i will buy 2 or 3.
Thanks

Right Chaps.
For those following my exploits, I have ordered the fridge so thanks for everyone who provided advice on that front.

Next is solar panels. I have to go mobile panels due to the roof tent. Looking at 200w, I'm worried the fold up type will fall apart? I could use two 100w flexible panels and just put them in the van, take up more room but will that be more durable esp when it rains outside ?

Also panel quality, this seems the biggest headache, price vrs possible quality issues.
With everything coming from China how are you supposed to distinguish the exact same panel sold by numerous brands at different markups.
Thanks

Right Chaps.
For those following my exploits, I have ordered the fridge so thanks for everyone who provided advice on that front.

Next is solar panels. I have to go mobile panels due to the roof tent. Looking at 200w, I'm worried the fold up type will fall apart? I could use two 100w flexible panels and just put them in the van, take up more room but will that be more durable esp when it rains outside ?

Also panel quality, this seems the biggest headache, price vrs possible quality issues.
With everything coming from China how are you supposed to distinguish the exact same panel sold by numerous brands at different markups.
Thanks
So which Fridge did you opt for?

Right Chaps.

Thanks
Are you going to pick a flexible panel or rigid?
If rigid plan to leave it on all the time or take on/off.
Look for panels that are advertised as German cells.

Are you going to pick a flexible panel or rigid?
If rigid plan to leave it on all the time or take on/off.
Look for panels that are advertised as German cells.
Ether slimline folding or flexible, prob 2x100w due to size. Cant leave on the van roof and if using the roof tent this will cast a big shadow anyway. So basically any combo will be on the grass or lent against the van/awning.

Any thoughts on the above. Reasonable price for 175w ?

Also looking at this folding one at 200w on amazon.

With the folding panels, you cant use in the rain? Is that due to the material holding the panels together rather than the actual solar panels them selves ?

With the folding panels, you cant use in the rain? Is that due to the material holding the panels together rather than the actual solar panels them selves ?
It’s most likely due to the controller being exposed rather than anything else. My 50W folding panel would has a PWM controller attached as default and it is in close proximity to the panel itself. I’ve removed it in any case. If the folding panel you’re looking at has a built in controller I imagine that will be the issue rather than the panels or the material holding them together.

Just realised the 175w panel is over my VOC limit. Ordered panels off ebay so fingers crossed they work, otherwise I'm Fooked.

Back