Mobicool W40

Or, could I just install a leisure battery under the front seat and charge it with a solar panel and forget about the split charging from the main battery with a CTEK?
Can't think why it wouldn't be possible, as long as you make sure it's fully charged at home before you set off the correct size panel should be able to maintain your equipment as long as you don't run to much of it
I think @travelvolts would be the man to advise for this

Im waiting on a coleman xtreme 50 being delivered. Probably a bit big for most but it can fit loads of wine and beer and even in the sun can keep ice from melting for 4 days and thats with no power, just insulation. It also has wheels and handle so great when at events/festivals.

Im waiting on a coleman xtreme 50 being delivered. Probably a bit big for most but it can fit loads of wine and beer and even in the sun can keep ice from melting for 4 days and thats with no power, just insulation. It also has wheels and handle so great when at events/festivals.
We have an older 33lt/36Qt version of the same - its the best cool box we have had. Its a big lump so, as you say, your larger capacity version with wheels is going to be even bigger. It performs very well but, depending how good the weather is, you will still need to be careful about where you store it on site and limit the amount of times you open it if you want it to keep a decent amount of ice for 4 days and really cold beer - take two beers out at once maybe? ;-)

As we use tent then we have loads of room for it, was really impressed with how long it kept the beers cold ha

As we use tent then we have loads of room for it, was really impressed with how long it kept the beers cold ha
They also make a very good extra seat!

Size on site was never an issue for us it was transporting the thing that was always the problem - used to pack the Landy with all the gear and then remember we'd got to somehow fit the coolbox in as well - shouldn't have that problem in your van.

In the distant past we bought a cheap leisure battery and wired a socket onto it. Charged it up at home. When we got to our site and put the tent up we put the battery in there and transferred the coolbox to the tent and plugged it in and it ran 3-4 days no problem.

Something I dont like about a battery in a tent tbh
The only advantage of these thermoelectric coolboxes I can see against a modern passive one with good insulation (such as the Coleman you have on order) is that, as long as you are able to keep the power running, all of the available space is there for food and drink rather than ice/packs (this is another reason we switched to using frozen bottles of water) - to achieve the 4 or 5 days ice retention with a passive coolbox a high proportion of the stuff you put in there would have to go in frozen to start with..

i have a flat ice pack that covers the entire bottom and then throw in a bag of ice which is then slowly added to my drinks ha

Just got home this afternoon from camping in the Lakes. The Mobicool worked a treat, thanks to @Davenjo tips. Drove up on Monday, 3.5 hours, box powered all the way with the box full of milk, cheese, sausages, wine etc along with two 2l frozen bottles of water. The contents stayed nice and chilled and there was still ice left in the water bottles when I got home, I'm quite impressed, mind you I wouldn't havd called the weather scorching, it rained mostly.

Just got home this afternoon from camping in the Lakes. The Mobicool worked a treat, thanks to @Davenjo tips. Drove up on Monday, 3.5 hours, box powered all the way with the box full of milk, cheese, sausages, wine etc along with two 2l frozen bottles of water. The contents stayed nice and chilled and there was still ice left in the water bottles when I got home, I'm quite impressed, mind you I wouldn't havd called the weather scorching, it rained mostly.
Glad it worked for you - lots of places have freezers you can use so, if its a bit warmer next time, just take a couple of spares and swap them out or nip to the nearest supermarket and buy a bag of ice.

Back