Misconceptions about proposed new law

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
There’s too much misinformation being pushed around about this. Folks should read the bill or (much easier) read the simple government factsheet below

Wild camping - In essence
It won’t be an issue as long as you are not going to cause criminal damage or anti social behaviour.
so - If you plan to leave no trace, you’ll be just fine.

Police crime and sentencing bill - Factsheet

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
'who do not leave the land or remove their property without reasonable excuse when asked to do so by the occupier of the land, their representative or a constable.'

Move on when/if asked and you'll be fine.

Now let’s be clear
“The offence only affects those residing on, or intending to reside on, land with a vehicle, who cause or are likely to cause significant damage, disruption or distress and who do not leave the land or remove their property without reasonable excuse when asked to do so by the occupier of the land, their representative or a constable.”

Now, seriously - do any of you cause or are likely to cause significant damage, disruption or distress when wild camping?

Sorry but I don’t agree with you @Oldrat. It gives the police too much discretion and in time it will be mission creep. Once our rights are gone they will be gone forever. Have you read the 1994 Act?

Reactions: DXX
Have you read the factsheet - doesn’t sound like it.

I used to be responsible for council services to get rid of illegal encampments. I know (knew!) the legislation backwards.

So the police who you never ever see are going to squander precious resources getting rid of folk who aren’t causing damage and not breaking the law.

How long do you have to wait when getting your house burgled ?

The authorities have a history of “mis-using” laws for purposes that they were never intended for. I recall a council using anti-terror laws to spy on parents using secondary addresses to get their kids into better schools.
Only last year, we had Derbyshire constabulary arresting people who had “breached” Covid rules, but in reality had done nothing wrong.
Just sayin’

Last edited:
Once our rights are gone they will be gone forever.
In essence there are only two types of land, land is either publicly owned, or privately owned.

Given that none of us ever had the right to park up and stay the night on privately owned land without the land owner's consent, I guess you're referring to publicly owned land such as lay byes and other such places.
If you park in a lay bye or other public land and act responsibly I fail to see how you would fall under this legislation, i.e. you wouldn't cause or be likely to cause significant damage, disruption or distress, therefore the Police would have no power to require you to leave.

My local pub has a large paddock at the rear which is used by the caravan club. Last summer about 20 cars and caravans pulled up, uninvited and not members of the CC, they made themselves at home, refused to leave and were intimidating toward the landlord and his family. Pub takings dived as people didn't want to park near these wasters. Police simply told the landlord that they had no power to require them to leave as it was private property, he would have to go to court for an order. A week later they moved on, leaving a mess behind as expected.

That's a situation replicated up and down the UK and the legislation is long overdue, IMO.
Of course, we don't have to see things the same and I hope your fears about the implementation turn out to be unfounded.

It is worth remembering that a Police Officer can stop any car driving on a road, at any time and any place, without grounds to suspect you of anything, and ask your name, address etc. (Road Traffic Act 1968)
That's a very significant power - how often, in your experience, do they exercise that power?

It is worth remembering that a Police Officer can stop any car driving on a road, at any time and any place, without grounds to suspect you of anything, and ask your name, address etc. (Road Traffic Act 1968)
That's a very significant power - how often, in your experience, do they exercise that power?
About 3 times / week in the 1980’s when I rode a bike in the Plymouth area. Often by the same units and many times there was the detailed inspection of my bike to make me late for work.
I carried all of my documents and was always legal, I never got stopped for speeding, the bike was roadworthy.
I accepted it then as it seemed to be pretty much normal practice as I knew others who got the same treatment. One reason why I’m not quick to stereotype others now without good reason. I know people who live in vans (not 60K VWs) because they can’t afford to rent property and a keep a vehicle, if you don’t have transport it’s hard to work.

About 3 times / week in the 1980’s when I rode a bike in the Plymouth area. Often by the same units and many times there was the detailed inspection of my bike to make me late for work.
I carried all of my documents and was always legal, I never got stopped for speeding, the bike was roadworthy.
I accepted it then as it seemed to be pretty much normal practice as I knew others who got the same treatment. One reason why I’m not quick to stereotype others now without good reason. I know people who live in vans (not 60K VWs) because they can’t afford to rent property and a keep a vehicle, if you don’t have transport it’s hard to work.
Yes in the 1980's I got stopped a lot too, young bloke in fast car, but not since then and none of my family have ever been stopped in the last 30 years.
You make a very fair point about those who live in vans, I hope they can find the right places to park so that they don't fall within the legislation.

Don’t want to make this personal but of course I read the fact sheet otherwise I wouldn’t of known it was an amendment to the 1994 Act. The same act gives councils the power to install CCTV to prevent crime. Whilst I was waiting after my jab the hospital were showing live footage of people walking along the promenade and playing on the beach. I know that if I was on that beach I wouldn't want people to watch me from the hospital waiting room!
I agree that ‘Illegal encampments’ can be a problem and something needs to be done but I do believe that without specific exceptions for camping overnight there could be mission creep.
Maybe we just need to amend the amendments?

People applying Laws differently can be a huge problem as Covid has clearly demonstrated. Like people being told they could only exercise for an hour a day, or reports of many being stopped for all sorts of spurious reasons. On the other hand I made many (legitimate) long distance train journeys yet never received so much as a second glance.
So we can only hope this proposed ‘clampdown’ will be used when necessary and appropriate and not depend on how a relevant official feels that day. But can we rely on this?

People applying Laws differently can be a huge problem as Covid has clearly demonstrated. Like people being told they could only exercise for an hour a day, or reports of many being stopped for all sorts of spurious reasons. On the other hand I made many (legitimate) long distance train journeys yet never received so much as a second glance.
So we can only hope this proposed ‘clampdown’ will be used when necessary and appropriate and not depend on how a relevant official feels that day. But can we rely on this?
You mean one rule for them and a different rule for us? Surely that doesn’t happen anymore:think smile bounce:

All that, and no mention of the right to protest bill. This thread is much like current society. Easily distracted by something else whilst one of the biggest democratic rights is about to be taken away from us. Freedom of speech ( whats left of it ) will be next in the firing line.

That’s your own political view which you are most entitled to.

Maybe because this is the T6 forum not a anti Govt mouthpiece.
Not sure what it has to do with the T6 forum, but I suppose that this is the pub.

Personally I have an issue with the Chinese persecuting their minority groups- but hey ho there you go.

Tongue still firmly in cheek. ;)

Back