Mirror mount trim removal from door

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Now various family and work stuff that was taking most of my life over is easing off, I'm going to be at home more and can start getting on with various van projects. One of these is a 360º parking camera from ebay that I'm going to try and get working. This consists of cameras on each side, one on the front (probably drill a hole in the badge for this) and a rear one, which I fitted while I was wiring in the rear dashcam. These are then cobbled together by a processor box that then forms them into one overhead birdseye view image. Well that's the theory anyway, can't see an ebay £90 buy being as good as the OEM ones that are starting to be fitted to various cars, but being among the world's worst parkers (not too proud to admit it), anything would help.

So the trickiest bit seems to be the side ones. They are a non-adjustable bullet type camera that sits in a hole that has to be angled just right. As some of the spaces I squeeze in require the mirrors folding in first, there's no point drilling them into the mirror caps as they will just be looking at the sky then. So my plan is to fit these underneath the mirrors, into the fixed trim, and then run the wires through the mirror channel into the the doors.

So the TLDR version is, has anyone taken off this trim and if so how is it held on? Also, would I be able to then feed the wire through to the interior without taking off, and probably breaking, the mirror caps?

It's doable but you have to remove the door card to access the screws holding the mirror, there are three screws/bolts and once undone the complete mirror assembly comes away as one piece, just be sure to disconnect all wiring coming out of wing mirrors before undoing the bolts
There is a multi plug before the door card that you will see when you remove it that disconnects the electrics to move/heat the mirror then depending on vehicle spec you will probably have a couple aerial cables that terminate into fakra plugs but these have a bare metal cable clip that supports and grounds the cables to the vehicle body
My advice would be after disconnecting all the wires tape a piece of small cable to the end and draw it through as you are removing the cables and you can leave it in place as a draw wire when you are reassembling

Right so the whole unit comes away with that outside triangular trim attached? I think I'll do that then and leave the cable exiting through a small hole at the bottom of the trim and then go ahead and connect the front and all the other bits. The angle that the side cameras end up as is crucial and I'm only going to get ome chance so I'll duct tape them on last, check the image on the screen and then try and match that with the part of the trim that is closest to that in angle. Then do the same on the other side :)

I think I'll allocate a full day for this, it all sounds too easy :rofl:

Back