Mirror puddle lights

Martin Gibson

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello,i have just bought some Mk6 Golf puddle lights for the mirrors on the van. I will fit these at the same time as the dynamic indicators that i have been meaning to do for a while. I know some other people have fitted these and was just wondering if anyone had any advise on cutting the hole for them. I was thinking of getting a couple of lower covers off a mk6 golf as they have the cutout marked on them already and using that to get a template off,any other ideas? Thanks very muchIMG_0811.jpgIMG_0819.jpg

Hi Martin
Never fitted these myself but have planed on doing 1 day, but whenever i am fitting anything like this i make a template myself out of either thin ply, plastic, pvc or stiff single sheet cardboard, whichever would work best on the mirror for you.

I’ve just bought a kit for this from travelin lite. It has the advantage of having circular lights and even comes with a tank cutter bit to cut out the hole. :)

Can you find a golf somewhere on the street and trace the cutout?

Hello @M3rxy ,the cutout isnt the whole size of the plastic cover on the light so i think i need the cutout off the golf mirror to get it right,i did see those kits @cgtmiles but i like the way the golf ones are partly recessed into the mirror casing,i think the golf covers are pretty cheap from tps,probably better than me trying to trace one off someones pride and joy,clumsily stubbling into it,setting the alarm off then stuttering away like a complete nob trying to explain myself lol. Do put some photos up when you get round to doing it though and i will do the same

I’ve just bought a kit for this from travelin lite. It has the advantage of having circular lights and even comes with a tank cutter bit to cut out the hole. :)

Can you find a golf somewhere on the street and trace the cutout?
Fitted these very ones the other week. Work well and easy to fit.

The trickiest bits were removing and refitting the mirror caps without breaking the plastic clips (I broke a couple but the mirror is still sound) and threading the wires down the black sleeve from the mirror to the door. As I have footwell lights, I just wired into them instead of the interior lights.

Can give you a couple of pictures if you want.

but i like the way the golf ones are partly recessed into the mirror casing,i think the golf covers are pretty cheap from tps,probably better than me trying to trace one off someones pride and joy,clumsily stubbling into it,setting the alarm off then stuttering away like a complete nob trying to explain myself lol. Do put some photos up when you get round to doing it though and i will do the same
Lol, yeah I can imagine you trying to explain you were just doing a brass rubbing :rofl:

The travelin lite ones are recessed to I believe, they don’t sit on the cover but in the cover. Mind you, I haven’t seen them in the flesh yet so I might see what you mean when they arrive.

If you can pick a second hand one up off eBay for cheap that sounds like the best option

Superb, thx! It is clear where to position them or are you free to put them wherever? I guess the key is to get them in the same place on both sides! Although, like I said to my son when I cut his hair last weekend you can’t see both sides together anyway :)

They come with measurements in the instructions. Follow them.

Good point about the sides but it’s nice to make sure it casts the same light on both sides.

The kit arrived today but no cutter :(

Despite the connection to the interior lights being mentioned above I had in my mind that there was a connection to the courtesy light circuit in the doors already (possibly confused with the ambient light circuit) but I have footwell lights so I will use that connection too.

Just bought genuine vw gloss black lower covers so will wait for those to install. Also have the ambient pocket lights to go in at the same time and bought some sound deadening so hopefully this will all be in soon and I’ll do the lot in one go!

Back