Mirror cameras

Sabre

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Was looking at the trucks on the M6 and M1 this weekend and started wondering if it's easy to put cameras on the van for wing mirrors... Was thinking it would look cool in the Golf but not sure there's enough room without blocking vents or visibility. Anyone thought about it?

replace the rear view wing mirrors! like on the trucks.
Pair of monitors inside to replace the mirror itself.

Ah, to REPLACE rather than augment the function of the wing mirror?!! I’d be keen to get shot of my wing mirrors but I need them to add towing mirrors on! Cameras have got to be the way forward

Most of the new lorries now have them. Monitors on the a pillar. Cool idea. Less to get broken too. More expensive when it is but don't present as much of a target. The monitors could be a pita.

Audi e-trons are rocking cameras too aren’t they now? Think the screen is in the door card rather than the vents

The problem here is that the images on the screens are fixed. We naturally raise up in the seat a little if we want a different angle of view to see the kerb etc. You can't do this with a camera and screen.

The images change during different scenarios I believe. They’ll show an enlarged view of the kerb in reverse etc

You're correct. Take a bit of getting used to but definitely the way forward (or behind you) as the case is!!
But the minute they malfunction that's you off the road until the fault can be fixed. And that's going to be a case of, "yes sir, we can fit you in in late November".
I think I'll stick with mirrors. My rear camera works when it feels like it, not a big deal, but it'd be a very big deal if it was the door cameras.

While looking for a new car I checked out the Honda e which has camera mirrors. Actually worked really well. Not sure how good a DIY fit would work though.

But the minute they malfunction that's you off the road until the fault can be fixed. And that's going to be a case of, "yes sir, we can fit you in in late November".
I think I'll stick with mirrors. My rear camera works when it feels like it, not a big deal, but it'd be a very big deal if it was the door cameras.
That's easy, just use another car untill it's fixed!

If the system is designed correctly and avoids a single point of failure, the loss of 1 "mirror" shouldnt take a vehicle off the road. Monitors can be replaced, as can cameras, as can glass mirrors, which also wouldn't stop you driving. Still 2 other mirrors in the car after all. It's an expensive thing to have to replace, admittedly but if someone sideswipes the cameras off, you've got a bigger problem and that car may not be drivable anyway!

If the system is designed correctly and avoids a single point of failure, the loss of 1 "mirror" shouldnt take a vehicle off the road. Monitors can be replaced, as can cameras, as can glass mirrors, which also wouldn't stop you driving. Still 2 other mirrors in the car after all. It's an expensive thing to have to replace, admittedly but if someone sideswipes the cameras off, you've got a bigger problem and that car may not be drivable anyway!
I think the minimum requirement is rear view and driver’s side. (Not sure how that works with a left-hooker!) Where there is a bulkhead, a mirror either side is required. Other than being able to see the end of the sides of the vehicle, I’m not if there are rules on what one needs to be able to view in the mirrors.

Hopefully, some friendly bobby on this forum can advise what would trigger a “pull ova” scenario?

I was caught in a lorry blind spot once. Didn't end well. My car was written off, the M25 was closed for a while. The French lorry driver happened to see the carnage in his mirrors as he didn't feel his truck almost crush my Golf...
I try to avoid left hookers these days...

Back