Michelin Agilis Crossclimate

Dilbert

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have always liked Michelin tyres and I see there are some happy forum members with Crossclimate tyres on their vans. I am looking to replace my worn out Continentals so these do look a good option for our camper converted T6.

Looking at the Michelin website for what is recommended for the T6 T30 140PS brings up the new van version of the Cossclimate tyre: Discover the MICHELIN Agilis CrossClimate on www.michelin.co.uk

Probably has lots of grip for a damp campsite but the fuel economy rating and sound ratings are worse than the 'car' version.

Appreciate any opinions! Presume nobody has has any issues using the standard Crossclimate XL or revised Crossclimate+ XL with appropriate load ratings (e.g. 102 for the T30) on their a T6? Is the Agilis version over kill for a campervan?

Thanks!

D.

I've had the Crossclimate XLs on mine for a few months now. Not really been in any situations which would have challenged the grip of a normal tyre yet, but the roadholding and fuel economy were unchanged from my Continentals. They are definitely a bit louder on motorway journeys though.

@Andy - Thanks. So you have the original 'car' version but is is Xl load rated?

@simon - so are you thinking of getting the Agilis van version?

D.

@Andy - Thanks. So you have the original 'car' version but is is Xl load rated?

@simon - so are you thinking of getting the Agilis van version?

D.
yes, Agilis (van version) looks perfect. Improved traction for wet/muddy fields and it fulfills winter tyre requirements in Germany and Austria. It seems a superior choice compared to other '4 season' tyres.

Last edited:
Thanks.

@simon are yours marked SUV on the side wall? They list the same sizes I am looking at (215/65 r 16) in both car and SUV versions and same specs (e.g. 102, EU ratings, etc)?

will need to take a look. I won't mind taking a higher rating to better manage the weight, i believe mine are.. 205/65 r16

Yes mine say SUV on the sidewall. They are noisier on the motorway but not unbearably so, the loudest noise is still the wind hitting the screen/a pillars.

So I guessed van version Agilis will be even noisier. Looks like it has a courser tread pattern.

Need to chose extra mud/snow grip vs cruising noise!

D.

So I guessed van version Agilis will be even noisier. Looks like it has a courser tread pattern.

Need to chose extra mud/snow grip vs cruising noise!

D.
well, they do say there's no such thing as a free lunch.. ;-) I think the alleged extra noise won't be much of an issue....especially if you're not going to a wider tyre (which would cause more noise than just switching to 4 seasons IMO) I've used winter tyres for the last 10+ years and have never noticed much difference between them and 'summers'...so I wouldn't worry about it.

No you will definitely notice it, significantly louder drone, but I think that it's within acceptable bounds for the extra mud/snow flexibility. I never found a difference in noise with ordinary winter tyres either but I think the more open block pattern is responsible on these. As I say, not a biggie but no point in pretending it's not there.

The issue for me is if to go for SUV version or van (Agilis) version. The van version is louder again according to euro specs.

Just to finish the story........

Went for the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tyres in the end after some discussion with Michelin technical team about load ratings, compounds and wear quality. Must admit I am well impressed with them so far and they are much quieter that the Continentals that came off (factory fit). :)

They also have a wider appearance and have filled in the wheel arches even on 16 inch wheels. :thumbsup:

DSC_8122c.jpg

D.

Was that the tyre size originally on your van? I have 205/65/r16 and the only load rating is 107 which is nearly 200kg more than I need. The 215/65/r16 has far more choice as you've discovered. I don't know why VW spec both sizes for our models.

The original factory fitted Continentals were 215/65 r 16. I have fitted the same size Michelin Agilis CrossClimates. The Michelins are rated 106T although they also have a 109T version. However, 106 is well within spec. for my T30. Info on full range here: Discover the MICHELIN Agilis CrossClimate on www.michelin.co.uk

The Agilis version of the CrossClimates allegedly have a harder wearing compound than the car or SUV versions and the deeper tread pattern certainly looks like they will be worth the extra money as well as the extra grip in snow and mud. Time will tell!

D.

The original factory fitted Continentals were 215/65 r 16. I have fitted the same size Michelin Agilis CrossClimates. The Michelins are rated 106T although they also have a 109T version. However, 106 is well within spec. for my T30. Info on full range here: Discover the MICHELIN Agilis CrossClimate on www.michelin.co.uk

The Agilis version of the CrossClimates allegedly have a harder wearing compound than the car or SUV versions and the deeper tread pattern certainly looks like they will be worth the extra money as well as the extra grip in snow and mud. Time will tell!

D.

Hi @Dilbert - I'm currently looking into doing the same as you. Just wondering on how the tyres are going, especially the tread wear ?

Cheers.

Just wondering on how the tyres are going, especially the tread wear ?

I am very pleased with them! Despite the more robust tread pattern, they are quieter that the original factory fitted Continentals. The handling is excellent as well in all conditions and a nice smooth ride. Not had a chance to try them in snow yet but certainly on muddy camping locations they have been very sure footed.

I measured the tread depths across the width of the tyres when they were new so I could monitor the wear. When new they measured 8.7mm (outer blocks) to 9.1mm (centre V) across the pattern. They have now done approx. 4,500 miles and now measure around 8.3mm and 8.7mm respectively in the same spots. The wear appears pretty even across all the tyres front and back but it is a full camper conversion with the associated weight in the back (+ 2 bikes on the rear carrier for most trips).

I would have no hesitation in recommending them so far! :thumbsup:

Back