MIB2 PQ Discover Media - Infotainment mods, upgrade, FEC / SWaP

Below is a quote from the github.

How to install from SD card via "Service Mode" on supported units with navigation

1. Unzip MIBSTD2-Toolbox-vX.X.X.zip to the root of SD card.
2. Turn on ignition and insert SD card into slot 1 of the unit
3. Press and hold MENU button to open Service Mode -> Software Update and install MIBStd2_Online_Approval.
4. Open Green Engineering Menu and have fun

Reactions: mmi
I have done exactly that but when I select the update location as SD I get the error message

here is the latest one

Attachments

• Log-NEW HEX 2-WV1ZZZ7HZFH111432-114140km-70923mi.txt
    13.5 KB · Views: 65
Looks okay to me it should work.
What is your Green Engineering Menu (GEM) version?
Screenshot_20211213-232444_YouTube.jpg

I’ll check in the morning when I get in the van but from memory 4.3?
Definitely over 4

I would suggest the following

1. Watch this video by Mateusz.
It shows MQB(ZR) unit but the TOOLBOX and the installation process are the same as our PQ.

2. Disconnect your main battery for 1 minute or so.

3. Try to install again.

Tried the same way as the video.
There’s 2 files under mib toolbox “source code”. Do I need to do anything with these?

EE6F84BA-C572-42CC-9FE8-A4247F9A0B9F.jpeg

52CAD7C5-11F8-4ECB-9DB6-22424FB81EF8.jpeg

No modifications to the original file setup is required in your case.
I suspect that you haven't downloaded the files from the github the correct way.

You need to download the zip package as shown below.
Screenshot_20211214-083851_Chrome.jpg

Then unpack it, copy to SD and proceed accordingly.

Done it @Robert, the clue in your last post sorted it. I needed to unpack all the individual files to the root of the SD card, when I was unzipping it to the SD card it was saving as a folder with them all in

A10CA7D0-5FC7-4811-96BA-B9F8FAEEE194.jpeg

When trying to apply patch tsd.mibstd2.system.swdownload I get error below. Could this mean it has it already applied? Unit is HW CP patched and some features unlocked at the time of doing so.
Do I need to apply this to carry out the update from SW 0449 to 0478?

AF53EA40-9CDA-40B5-9D62-5FA1BA73C98B.jpeg

Hi. I replaced UGZZF-1 01A with UGZZF-1 A1A but still wifi does not work. DM sw 0478 h22. Could it work?
Before installation, did you make sure that your replacement module actually has a WIFI chip? Any photos?

Yes, I replaced the module. Replacing the software also does not help. I also installed the following:
MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0478T

karat wifi 2.jpg

0478T update all good with patches

Does anyone know how to set the date as mine is stuck at 2043 on the standby clock faces lol, clock works fine as reads Cluster no issue.

MIBtoolbox shows correct date and time.

thanks in advance

Chers Nirvananils, je suis sur le firmware 478t patché swdownload et swap. Aussi cp de. Comment puis-je mettre la peau chinoise à 478t? J'ai tous les fichiers de firmware pour les voitures pq
Hi, You can help me want I will update my discover media mst2 pq and I have currently the sw 0475 and I will go to 0478. Thanks

Hi, You can help me want I will update my discover media mst2 pq and I have currently the sw 0475 and I will go to 0478. Thanks
Everything is in this thread and on other forums, just need to search a little. Google is your friend

0478T update all good with patches

Does anyone know how to set the date as mine is stuck at 2043 on the standby clock faces lol, clock works fine as reads Cluster no issue.

MIBtoolbox shows correct date and time.

thanks in advance
Anyone? starting to be annoying LOL

As promised...guide to updating to software 0478. I can't take credit for working this out, it was the clever people on the german forum, I've just rewritten the instructions and added the photos...
There's nothing illegal in this, it's just for updating to version 0478, and I am not going to post about removal of component protection or generation of swap codes.

Guide to updating 02xx/03xx to v0478 on Discover Media PQ Technisat/Preh

Prerequisites:-
-Firmware MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0478T
-MIB2std toolbox
-metainfogenerator.exe
-8gb SD card (formatted to FAT32, 4096kb blocks)
-Knowing how to get into emergency mode if it goes wrong (see end of post)

(PM me if you need the above files and I'll send you a link)

First off, check your coding of the 5F module with VCDS or similar. Make absolutely sure that byte 17 (skin) is set to 01 (Highline). And connect your vehicle's battery to a suitable charger...
View attachment 129376

Download MIB2std toolbox, extract onto an SD card, and for 02xx only, as per the instructions "replace `cpu` folder in the root of the SD card with `cpu` folder from `\toolbox\gem` folder"

Insert SD into right hand slot (navigation), hold down menu button, click software update/versions, software update, SD card, MIBSTD2_Online_approval, follow the prompts and install it. Ignore the 'connect diagnostic tester' bit

Once complete, enter GEM by holding down menu button for 10 seconds. Enter mib2std toolbox, go down to 'Tools' and select 'Patch tsd/mibstd2.system.swdownload to accept any metainfo2.txt'
Let it do its stuff, then restart the unit (hold down power button for 10 seconds)
View attachment 129373View attachment 129374

Once rebooted, hold the menu button again, press Software update/versions, software update, press the current version, and the logging ID is displayed in brackets under CPU. For mine, it was 13. Make a note of this number.
View attachment 129377

Now, unpack the 0478 firmware archive to your SD card. We now need to modify the metainfo2.txt to let us install it on an 02xx/03xx device. Stick metainfogenerator.exe onto the SD card, and run it. Press enter twice, then type in the logging ID you recorded earlier and press enter twice again.

View attachment 129369

Delete your original metainfo2.txt, and rename the modified one.

Stick your SD card back in, then hold down menu, click software update/versions, software update, SD card, MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0478T, and install it. Again, ignore the 'connect diagnostic tester' bit for now. There will be a couple of updates that appear to fail (emergency), this is normal, I believe it's because it's tried to install them after it has rebooted, and it knows it's a modified metainfo2.txt again. You can safely ignore them.
View attachment 129371View attachment 129361

You should have now booted up into software 0478! Assuming your unit is factory fitted and hasn't been previously messed with, you have nothing else to do and can carry on, your FeC/SWaP codes will not be touched. MIB2std toolbox will have been lost, so re-install it again if you want it back, but as you are now on 04xx, don't mess with cpu folder this time.
View attachment 129372

To get the grid style menu, press Menu, Settings, Screen, and select 'Grid'
View attachment 129375

If you want the extra skins as well, extract the skins archive to an SD card, insert into right hand slot (navigation), hold down menu button, click software update/versions, software update, SD card, MIBSTD2_Online_approval, follow the prompts and install it. Once its rebooted, hold down menu, press Testmode, and go to HMI Skin Change.

Known issues:-

-No Transporter graphics are present. Code the unit as a Crafter instead, I am working on copying/creating suitable Transporter graphics for the skin package

-WiFi may not work any more, working on a fix for this. I tried the method detailed here, and also tried removing all references to updating bluetooth from metainfo2.txt, but it still stopped working.

-DTC 1555 appears. Using VCDS or similar, go to 5F, Adaptations, and 'Confirmation of installation change'. Enter the 4 digit hexadecimal code here and enter the new code that is generated and save it. You can now reset the code and it'll go away

-DTC 1556 appears. Enter GEM, Mib2std toolbox, Tools, then select 'Clean SWDL history and keep only non-duplicated FW updates'. Reboot the unit, and you can now reset the code and it'll go away.

-If it goes wrong, you need to enter emergency mode to recover, which involves using a FT232DL and opening the unit. Further info below.

EMERGENCY MODE

So, you've messed up. Your unit is stuck in a boot loop, all you see is "Welcome to Volkswagen" and you feel like a right idiot. All is not lost...

Firstly, assuming you've left it a suitable amount of time to let it do what it's trying to do, hold the power button in until it reboots, you never know, it might just need a restart.

Secondly, double check the coding of the 5F module, make sure you're on Skin 1 (Highline). If you're coded to a skin that doesn't exist on this version of firmware (like Hybrid), it won't boot. You should be able to code it and access it via CAN even with it stuck in a bootloop.

If that's not solved it, we need to do an emergency mode flash. You need a firmware package relative to the unit's hardware, so if you were starting off with an 02xx firmware, you need to recover with 02xx, etc. Stick that on your SD card, and put it in the Navigation slot.

Next, remove the unit from the vehicle, and take the lid off the unit, 4 screws in each corner, one underneath a warranty sticker. Lift the CD/DVD drive out, and disconnect the ribbon cable.
View attachment 129366

Connect your FT232DL to the large plug at the back of the unit as shown, you need 2x Junior Power Timer connectors. Twisted cable is ideal but single wires should be fine for a short run. Connect the GND pin of the FT232DL to the metal case of the unit. If you need clarification, its the orange/purple and orange/brown wires in the photos.
View attachment 129363View attachment 129365

Connect the USB end to your computer. Using PuTTY or a similar terminal emulator, connect via Serial, enter the COM port number (check Device Manager), and set the baud rate to 115200. If you get a load of garbage appear, swap Tx and Rx around and try again.
View attachment 129364

Next, remove power from the unit. You now need to bridge the two contacts shown below, I used metal tweezers. Keep them bridged, and apply power to the unit. A menu should appear on the PuTTY session with a number of options, as soon as you see this, remove the bridge. Hit "2" on the keyboard, and Emergency mode should start, and it'll begin installing the firmware.
View attachment 129367View attachment 129362

Once you're back to normal, you can remove the FT232DL and try again, but just don't do whatever you did to break it this time.
Thanks for this information. On your serial connection for emergency mode, can you let us know what other COM port settings you used. ie: Data bits, Stop bits, Parity and Handshaking. I'm getting garbage no matter which way I connect the Rx and Tx wires.

Back