Metal shavings in oil (new engine)

Hey there.
Just changed the oil at 10,000kms, the 2nd change on the engine (did one at 1000kms). Noticed in the oil pan when emptying it, quite a bit of alum and metal shavings, mostly not magnetic.
the oil filter when pulled apart wasn’t showing the corresponding amount in it, but did have some.
All really small and not similar to bearing pieces etc…
It also didn’t use any oil between those changes.

is this normal?
2020 T6.1 340 SWB van

thankyou.

Not on me unfortunately, wont be home for a few days.
They were 'specs' or large dust particles,, not bigger chips or pieces of things like bearings I've seen in motorcycles in the past.
I know its normal for similar in bike engines on break in, but in a car at 10,000km?

Guess I'll keep driving and hope the warranty covers something should it arise.

1st oil change is due @ 12000 miles

It’s a 2020 van, I’m guessing you also get 3 years warranty in Oz, however I think you may have breached the warranty conditions if you are servicing it yourself.
Particles you can see with the naked eye are a concern but it’s also the particles that you can‘t see.

It’s a 2020 van, I’m guessing you also get 3 years warranty in Oz, however I think you may have breached the warranty conditions if you are servicing it yourself.
How would VW know he's done 2 oil changes if he doesn't tell them? As far as they are concerned, it isn't due its first service yet, if it's set to longlife.

Reactions: Ozi
`
How would VW know he's done 2 oil changes if he doesn't tell them? As far as they are concerned, it isn't due its first service yet, if it's set to longlife.
I agree IF it’s set to Longlife, has the OEM oil filter installed, sump joint doesn’t look disturbed and nothing is said.

Why on earth would they void a warranty for servicing before the recommended time? The dealership said proof of oil type and oil filter receipt is enough

Why on earth would they void a warranty for servicing before the recommended time? The dealership said proof of oil type and oil filter receipt is enough
It looks like VW Australia Warrant T&C’s are different to the UK, UK seems to specify that a qualified workshop can carry out the maintenance with records required.
It does look like VW Australia have wriggle room to absolve any responsibility if a non authorised VW dealer carries out maintenance.

I’d bet my last £ that VW will use any excuse possible to avoid warranty claims, if it was carried out by a DIY / Owner without formal qualification that is handing them a get out ticket.

From VW Warranty Australia:
’The servicing or repair of your vehicle by third parties that are not authorised Volkswagen Dealers will not void your warranties, however, to the extent that any problem arises due to any third party servicing or repairs, VolkswagenGroup Australia reserves the right to request additional information about the work and servicing performed on your vehicle and we will not be liable for failures caused by third parties that are not authorised Volkswagen Dealers.’

From the equivalent UK VW document:
‘Your vehicle should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Any damage to or defect in the vehicle caused by poor or insufficient servicing will not be remedied under the vehicle's warranty. Please ensure that you maintain sufficient records to enable our Authorised Network to confirm that the vehicle has been appropriately serviced. In any event, please ensure that the service schedule booklet in your vehicle is stamped by the business carrying out the servicework, or detailed invoices supplied with date, mileage, plus specified parts and fluids used.’

Back