Meta Trak

RayF

T6 Guru
Does anyone have any experience of using Meta Trak S5 tracker? Are you happy/unhappy with it? :thumbsup:

Looking at that myself Ray for when my conversion is finished. Was initially attracted to Ghost but a dealer who actually fits them said he wouldn’t recommend on a 6.1 as the new electronics don’t get on well and are prone to errors. Some on here have it in a 6.1 and report no issues, but I’m still reading about others who are having issues.

Same installer suggested the Metatrak S5 was a better option on the 6.1, so I’d also be interested in experiences of those who have the S5 system fitted already

Looking at that myself Ray for when my conversion is finished. Was initially attracted to Ghost but a dealer who actually fits them said he wouldn’t recommend on a 6.1 as the new electronics don’t get on well and are prone to errors. Some on here have it in a 6.1 and report no issues, but I’m still reading about others who are having issues.

Same installer suggested the Metatrak S5 was a better option on the 6.1, so I’d also be interested in experiences of those who have the S5 system fitted already
I'm sure you know the Meta Trak and Ghost do different things? I need a tracker to satisfy the Insurance but I have been thinking about Tracker Locate because Tracker seem to be the only company who do trackers with VHF tech which is better if a stolen vehicle is put into a storage container or underground garage where GPS and GSM might not be detected. However the place I spoke to today said they stopped supplying Tracker because of poor after sales service. I'm now considering the Meta Trak and a Clifford alarm/immobiliser, maybe with extras like anti car jacking (the aggravated theft type) and dash cams, plus a visible deterrent like a pedal lock or steering wheel lock

i have the Ghost + Metatrack on the T6. (can comment on T6.1 though)

The Ghost is FW updateable so I'm sure Autowatch would have ironed out any gremlins by now?)

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
For Sale - Summer-weekend-t6f Limited Edition External Stickers
For Sale - T6F Flags

i have the Ghost + Metatrack on the T6. (can comment on T6.1 though)

The Ghost is FW updateable so I'm sure Autowatch would have ironed out any gremlins by now?)

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
For Sale - Summer-weekend-t6f Limited Edition External Stickers
For Sale - T6F Flags
Does your Meta Trak have ID tags? I'm looking at the Meta Trak website and I'm a little confused. It says in one part of the page for the S5 Deadlock model that there's no starting the vehicle without the tag, and in another, that it alerts the control centre if the engine is started without the tag. :confused:

no Tags with mine (older version 2018) , these Tags come with the newer S5 version. they are just a PROX keyfob that can be wired to an IMOB relay. i didnt bother upgrading to the S5 version as the Ghost does that job very well already (IMOB).

i user the METATRAK as the tracker.

i use the Ghost as the extra Imob

i also use the META CANBUS alarm upgrade.

no Tags with mine (older version 2018) , these Tags come with the newer S5 version. they are just a PROX keyfob that can be wired to an IMOB relay. i didnt bother upgrading to the S5 version as the Ghost does that job very well already (IMOB).

i user the METATRAK as the tracker.

i use the Ghost as the extra Imob

i also use the META CANBUS alarm upgrade.
I think then, the latest Meta Trak S5 Deadlock with immobiliser will be sufficient initially

where do you plan to keep the PROX fob then . . . on your keys . . ? (they say you supposed to keep it on you, separate, and not on your keys . . . but people just put it on the keyring - which makes it pointless, or a pain to have to present the prox fob every IGN cycle)

then when the keys are stolen . . . the van is gone.

The Ghost has a code that needs entering - so even with the keys the engine cant be started.

that why i have both . . . and didnt bother upgrading to the FOB version.

The Prox fobs are designed to help with keyless entry cars and RELAY ATTAKS - the T6/T6.1 doesn't use this tech.

unless the keys are stolen from say a break in? - then they may get the FOB too? and can still steel the van.

1619724316058.png

Developed in response to the staggering increase in vehicle thefts, particularly by the relay attack method, Meta Trak S5 Deadlock immobilises and tracks. It is the most comprehensive vehicle security and connectivity system on the market.

What is Relay Attack? Without ever entering your home, or touching the car’s key, thieves are able to open and start your vehicle and drive it away in just seconds. Two trasmitters or ‘relay’ boxes are used by the thieves; one is held close to your car and the other near to where you keep your key. This way, the signal produced by your key is lengthened, fooling the car into thinking the key is actually present.

Meta Trak S5 Deadlock combines advanced immobilisation with Meta Trak’s new generation tracking technology, 24/7 control room monitoring and an easy-to-use app. It has been assessed by Thatcham and meets their strictest approval criteria, which means that it’s trusted by your insurance company to offer the very best security.

The solution can be professionally installed to any vehicle and works independently to your vehicle’s standard security.

where do you plan to keep the PROX fob then . . . on your keys . . ? (they say you supposed to keep it on you, separate, and not on your keys . . . but people just put it on the keyring - which makes it pointless, or a pain to have to present the prox fob every IGN cycle)

then when the keys are stolen . . . the van is gone.

The Ghost has a code that needs entering - so even with the keys the engine cant be started.

that why i have both . . . and didnt bother upgrading to the FOB version.
I see what you're saying. I was decided on the Ghost with separate tracker Tracker Locate. There's a bit of doubt with Ghost from others, a small amount I know, who've had problems with it when fitted to a 6.1. I don't know if these are isolated or not. One person had a problem with one fitted to a manual 6.1 and mine is DSG, don't know if that matters

get the Ghost - thats a defo,

as for a tracker, get any one you like. (just get one that monitored yearly with a fixed price for the SIM and service)

you can get the METASAT fitted without the prox fobs. . . . the version i have,

call you local fitting company for a chat. . . they will advise on what they can fit for you.

FYI when i had mine fitted they done all at the same time . . . ghost and METEASAT and META CAN ALARM . . . and also connected the alarm to the Tracker . . . so i get notifications when the alarm goes off. which is handy.

@RayF I'm in exactly the same thought process as you, I'm going to start out with the Tacker locate and then add the Ghost at a later date I think. As @Dellmassive said i reckon I'd keep the fob of an S5 on the keyring (otherwise it would get forgotten) and that surely not only makes it pointless but also gives any insurer a way out of a claim??

@RayF I'm in exactly the same thought process as you, I'm going to start out with the Tacker locate and then add the Ghost at a later date I think. As @Dellmassive said i reckon I'd keep the fob of an S5 on the keyring (otherwise it would get forgotten) and that surely not only makes it pointless but also gives any insurer a way out of a claim??
I think the Locate is the way to go, I've got to have a tracker for the insurance, and get the Ghost. It's just a shame the Ghost isn't Thatcham approved as all of the insurance companies I've spoken to don't recognise it

I think the Locate is the way to go, I've got to have a tracker for the insurance, and get the Ghost. It's just a shame the Ghost isn't Thatcham approved as all of the insurance companies I've spoken to don't recognise it
It looks the only one with VHF which is whats sold it to me TBH. £285 I've seen it for just the sub is more expensive than others but i'll probably do a couple of years

Automotive mtracks also has RF, check out their recovery videos on gluetube.

Automotive mtracks also has RF, check out their recovery videos on gluetube.
Looked at that and the Cantrak version, but seeing as they aren't Thatcham approved and have a higher subscription cost than any other Tracker i looked at decided against them. I read the sub used to be @£80 a year but seems to be up to £180 a year now. Love the videos on youtube though, defo worth a follow.

I've booked my van in to have a Tracker Locate with 3 years subs, Ghost 2 and a Blackvue dash cam all with Exec Spec near Nottingham. I also asked for limo tint for the rear tailgate window

I've not decided on the Ghost yet, but have booked the Tracker Locate in. Thought i'd try somewhere local so wandered in to a place down the road and have to say really uninterested response so ended up buying online from a place called Trackershop. May add the Ghost in the future, the only thing that puts me off is that if someone broke in and nicked the keys they'd obviously know it was a ghost when it didn't start and could be tempted to come back, be much better if it cut the engine half a mile down the road..

I've not decided on the Ghost yet, but have booked the Tracker Locate in. Thought i'd try somewhere local so wandered in to a place down the road and have to say really uninterested response so ended up buying online from a place called Trackershop. May add the Ghost in the future, the only thing that puts me off is that if someone broke in and nicked the keys they'd obviously know it was a ghost when it didn't start and could be tempted to come back, be much better if it cut the engine half a mile down the road..
The trouble is, if someone is that determined to get your van what can you do? There is nothing to give away that Ghost is fitted other than guessing, it's completely incognito. If you park your van on a driveway, what about fitting folding/retracting bollards, or the ultimate, an underground garage on your drive? They are so cool

An underground garage on my driveway sounds cool, or alternatively one hidden behind some bushes that move out the way like the Bat cave:cool:

Back