Menabo bike rack

antburt1

Hi all

I’m looking at getting a bike rack for the t6. Obviously they are very expensive! Currently it’s just for 2 bikes but will slowly grow to 3 and then possibly 4 over time. It won’t be used that often so I‘ve been looking at cheaper options. I’ve come across The menabo shadow online but struggling to find any feedback/reviews. Has anyone got one? Heard of them? Have an opinion on the subject? Thanks.

E9ED1EC0-FF30-4BB2-8C21-30CC35E7309A.png

From the photo and comparison to this video of one being fitted to a Caddy, it looks as if it is steel framed.

Does it come in a four bike version? I can only find a three bike version.

The VW ones are excellent and the design arguably nicer in the sense that they look less temporary and more like part of the van - they don’t have the steel coming down around the numberplate . They are rather more expensive though unless you can find a bargain second hand.

Does it come in a four bike version? I can only find a three bike version.

The VW ones are excellent and the design arguably nicer in the sense that they look less temporary and more like part of the van - they don’t have the steel coming down around the numberplate . They are rather more expensive though unless you can find a bargain second hand.
I agree, although more expensive, the VW ones look nicer and some limited spare parts are available (ie, important things like locks or support arms should they break or get lost).
The Menabo one does look as if it fits closer to the tailgate which might be an advantage if a parking spot/driveway is short.

Thank you for getting back to me. From what I have read the menabo has a steel frame with aluminium parts for the bike to sit on. In honesty, it is the price that makes it an option as the vw ones are going for £400+ second hand. When you say VW bike rack, which are you specifically referring to? I know that there are Thule and Flammia racks that are also popular.

By VW rack, I was refering to what would be a VW brand one. You are correct, there are Thule and Fiamma ones and two styles of the VW ones which are probably all on a par with each other in terms of being premium types. Whichever rack you get, you will also need to factor another ~£30 to add uprated struts to the tailgate because the empty rack will add weight which will make it difficult to open and stay open using the standard struts (obviously the tailgate should not be opened with a bike(s) on it). Changing the struts is a simple 10 minute DIY job.
Ignoring price, I suspect your choice could be limited to what suppliers have in stock.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to share that info with me. It's greatly appreciated. It appears I probably need to be keeping a look out for a second hand vw rack! Thanks again.

I have the Menabo rack. Less than a year of ownership and I've already had to get them to replace every locking part. It's not great.

I have the Menabo rack. Less than a year of ownership and I've already had to get them to replace every locking part. It's not great.
Sometimes the choice is to pay more for something that is tried and tested or be the one that pays less, but carries the burden of doing the testing.

Yeah not overly convinced that attaching the bottom of the rack to a number plate frame is the most structurally sound move...

Back