Mattress Ideas For Bespoke Bed/seat?

nosiesta

For those who don't have a Rib/Rock & Roll style bed, what do you use a mattress?

I have a box that acts a seat during the day but slides out to be a bed at night. I need something that can partly roll away, or fold and then be sat on when the bed is in seat mode.

It can't be too thick as then my head would touch the roof when sat on, but it can't be too thin as then it would be uncomfy! Bespoke foam isn't going to work. It basically needs to be a cushion by day and a mattress by night.

Anyone?

Thanks

Nope, but thanks! Dims will need to be in the region of 110cm wide, 180cm long and 'not too deep, but not too shallow'... prob about 4", with the ability to either roll and use as a cushion with the rolled bit as some sort of back rest, or fold and use as a thicker cushion (but not too thick!).

What about an IKEA foam mattress. You can cut them to fit (albeit the cover is then too large).
Just modified one by shortening a Morgedal mattress to go in my daughters Sprinter. Tucked the excess cover underneath. They are very happy with it.
They come rolled up with handy Velcro straps which you could use to keep it rolled up during the day. Very easy to cut to size.

The Morgedal is thicker than their basic model (link below) and probably too thick for your needs. Not expensive by mattress standards but reasonably comfortable (good reviews on Which)

MALFORS Foam mattress - firm, white - IKEA

Hi, possibly. I wonder how 'fat' the resulting roll would be though? During the day it would need to still act as a cushion for the seat, which is 110cm wide by 80cm 'deep'. The remaining mattress would need to be rolled and act as some sort of back support, but if the roll is massive then there won't be much seat left! I deliberately made the seat quite deep so you can relax on it, rather than the upright 'sitting' position of the Rib/Rock & Roll designs.

I just checked their website for packaging size and it is 30cm diameter when tightly rolled up by them. Don’t know if that helps.

Thanks, yes I saw that. I'd imagine that's when factory vacuum packed though. Reviews suggest it's 'hard'? How did you cut it? Thanks again.

Beth already had Morgedal mattress Which she wanted to use in the van and get an upgraded one for her bed at home. So she rolled it up herself and put it back in the original bag it came in and transported it in her little VW Up so it can’t have been very tightly rolled when she first bought it.

I cut it with a Stanley knife by marking it then compressing it by kneeling on it and slicing through it in layers. Not a perfect job but did what I needed to do and then tidied up any loose bits with a pair of scissors.

For those who don't have a Rib/Rock & Roll style bed, what do you use a mattress?

I have a box that acts a seat during the day but slides out to be a bed at night. I need something that can partly roll away, or fold and then be sat on when the bed is in seat mode.

It can't be too thick as then my head would touch the roof when sat on, but it can't be too thin as then it would be uncomfy! Bespoke foam isn't going to work. It basically needs to be a cushion by day and a mattress by night.

Anyone?

Thanks

Similar problem! Couldn't find anything ready made that was right, so we had a local upholsterer make us some seat cushions using blue (firm) 5cm thick foam. Anything thicker meant not enough head room when using as seats. They are comfortable for sleeping but it would be easy to add a mattress topper or flip fold mattress if necessary.
We have side seats with storage under which provide two berths when fold down box units are used to extend the seats to sleeping length.
The photo shows the kitchen unit midpoint but that has now been moved to behind the passenger seat.

vw1 s.jpg

Last edited:
I have a super posh futon mattress ,super comfy ,but its heavy and awkward to move ,and it only folds once

We’re going for the Malfors 12cm thick Ikea mattress. I noticed they have a zip off cover so am going to cut foam into 3 equal bits for storage / transportation then reassemble in the cover to sleep on.

I think your best bet is to find someone who can make bespoke.

I recall my parents static caravan (circa 1975) where the dining table unclipped and slotted between the two seats and the back rests layed flat and together with the seat bases made up the mattress.

We’re going for the Malfors 12cm thick Ikea mattress. I noticed they have a zip off cover so am going to cut foam into 3 equal bits for storage / transportation then reassemble in the cover to sleep on.

I think your best bet is to find someone who can make bespoke.

I recall my parents static caravan (circa 1975) where the dining table unclipped and slotted between the two seats and the back rests layed flat and together with the seat bases made up the mattress.

Let us know how you get on with that. In the same situation. Can you feel the gaps when sleeping on it? :)

Only got the wood to build the bed frame yesterday;) It could be some time before we’re ready and/or use it!

TBH at £100 worth the risk (maybe cheaper if you can find one in returns!)

Back