VW Sat Nav Map Update - How We Did It -

OK, I've just updated my maps again. And again its now reset my home address to the same place 10 miles away.
Problem is I've forgotten how to reset the home address to the correct place :/

Hi:

I just bought a 2019 Multivan T6. I am having trouble updating Discover Media. I tell you my problem:

I have tried DiscoverCare, but in the installation process I receive an error that the card does not have enough space. Looking for information, I have seen your tutorial.

I will have to do it manually, but I have a question. When viewing the attached photos, will I have to install Europa1 (DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1410_V12)? Can I install Europa AS (DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12)?

Thank you!!!

3ccf3032-2b77-4e5f-a290-9d46efae8478.JPG

IMG-9577.jpg

Last edited:
Hi:

I just bought a 2019 Multivan T6. I am having trouble updating Discover Media. I tell you my problem:

You tried DiscoverCare, but in the installation process you received an error with the card not having enough space. Looking for information, he saw your tutorial.

I will have to do it manually, but I have a question. When viewing the attached photos, will I have to install Europa1 (DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1410_V12)? Can I install Europa AS (DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12)?

Thank you !!!

tu puedes elegir

you can choose

por favor proporcione traducción al inglés :)

tu puedes elegir

you can choose

por favor proporcione traducción al inglés :)

I'm sorry. :oops::oops::oops::cry::cry::cry:

My English is not very good and I have had to use the translator. And without realizing it, I have copied it in Spanish.

I am already manually copying Europa AS (DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12) following your tutorial.

Have if it works for me. I will comment.

Thank you and I'm sorry!!!

credit: @Dilbert

How To: Using Discover Media Navigation System In Non-eu Countries; E.g. Morocco

New
Background

I was looking at how I could use the Discover Media navigation system as backup for my preferred Google maps navigation (via App Connect) for an upcoming trip to Morocco later in the year. Morocco is included in the 'Non-European Countries – Bundle 3' available from the VW maps update website. However, when this is added to a genuine VW maps SD card it shows as invalid data. Further investigation was required! o_O

It appears the European version of the Discover Media navigation system only works with EU maps. After much experimenting with various file edits, I found a simple solution which is documented below for the benefit of others taking their T6 out of the European region! :cool:

The key is that all European maps are in the maps folder named '00' on the SD Card. By renaming the maps folder for other regions to '00', you can trick the headunit into displaying the maps for other non-European regions. You will need a second VW Navigation SD card and swap it over when you leave Europe. :thumbsup:

How to do it

1. Download the maps update to include the Region required. (E.G. "Non-European Countries – Bundle 3" is currently file version 'DiscoverMedia2_MRM3_1115_V10') from the VW website: Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates

2. Update a spare VW SD card with the new data. You can use the guide from this forum here: Map Software Update - How We Did It -

Note: VW SD Cards have a special Card ID code [CID] and normal SD cards can not be used for navigation data. You can obtain a second VW SD card from eBay cheaply. Does not matter which update version it is as you will be updating it anyway. Just make sure it is correct for your head unit.

3. After updating the SD card, use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on which maps bundle you have, you will see several numbered folders.

sd-folders-png.34808

4. Rename the relevant Region number folder found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; to use the Region MRM3 SD Card for navigating in Morocco, etc., rename folder '27' to '00'.

sd-folders-png.34811

5. To test, insert the updated SD card into your head unit, then check roads and place names are visible by zooming out and navigating displayed map to chosen Country. Zoom in to check detail.

Please note this SD card will only work in the Region you have chosen. Use your normal SD card in Europe and swap it over when you enter the new territory.

Hope this helps some others.

D.
Hi My friend,
I have followed same steps you mentioned, first i was getting no database found, and after i rename the folder to 00 i'm getting now different error message
"Navigation data in infotainment system not valid. Check data"
I have a VW SD Card for Europe 1&2, If i install this bundle it works, but when i install the DiscoverMedia2_MRM3_1115_V10 and rename the folder to 00, its not working
Can you help with that?
Thanks

credit: @Dilbert

How To: Using Discover Media Navigation System In Non-eu Countries; E.g. Morocco

New
Background

I was looking at how I could use the Discover Media navigation system as backup for my preferred Google maps navigation (via App Connect) for an upcoming trip to Morocco later in the year. Morocco is included in the 'Non-European Countries – Bundle 3' available from the VW maps update website. However, when this is added to a genuine VW maps SD card it shows as invalid data. Further investigation was required! o_O

It appears the European version of the Discover Media navigation system only works with EU maps. After much experimenting with various file edits, I found a simple solution which is documented below for the benefit of others taking their T6 out of the European region! :cool:

The key is that all European maps are in the maps folder named '00' on the SD Card. By renaming the maps folder for other regions to '00', you can trick the headunit into displaying the maps for other non-European regions. You will need a second VW Navigation SD card and swap it over when you leave Europe. :thumbsup:

How to do it

1. Download the maps update to include the Region required. (E.G. "Non-European Countries – Bundle 3" is currently file version 'DiscoverMedia2_MRM3_1115_V10') from the VW website: Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates

2. Update a spare VW SD card with the new data. You can use the guide from this forum here: Map Software Update - How We Did It -

Note: VW SD Cards have a special Card ID code [CID] and normal SD cards can not be used for navigation data. You can obtain a second VW SD card from eBay cheaply. Does not matter which update version it is as you will be updating it anyway. Just make sure it is correct for your head unit.

3. After updating the SD card, use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on which maps bundle you have, you will see several numbered folders.

sd-folders-png.34808

4. Rename the relevant Region number folder found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; to use the Region MRM3 SD Card for navigating in Morocco, etc., rename folder '27' to '00'.

sd-folders-png.34811

5. To test, insert the updated SD card into your head unit, then check roads and place names are visible by zooming out and navigating displayed map to chosen Country. Zoom in to check detail.

Please note this SD card will only work in the Region you have chosen. Use your normal SD card in Europe and swap it over when you enter the new territory.

Hope this helps some others.

D.
I've read this conversation with great interest. Maybe I don't belong to this forum, but I have a VW Golf bought in Turkey which now is in France. I discovered when coming here that it was impossible to use the original VW maps in the Infotainment system of the car. After researching with both the Turkish and French VW importers I was left with the conclusion that there is no way VW Germany will permit the navigation system to use maps outside the Turkish region. I was told that the PR-number of the car did not correspond to the maps for Western Europe. I guess this comes down to efforts to bar export of cars sold in Turkey to Western Europe.

I´ve studied your procedure and would like to know if this can be used for getting the maps I want up on the screen. I've downloaded the latest version of the Western Europe maps, but what should I change in terms of the maps to make them accessible to my car's navigation system? Any guidance will be appreciated.

Just had a look on the VW infotainment update site, & the maps haven't been updated since July '19. They are supposed to be updated twice/year. Anyone know what's going on?

I think it's 7th of November, 2019. That's when it was available. The date format used can be sometimes a bit confusing. I'd expect next one to be available any day now.

I think it's 7th of November, 2019. That's when it was available. The date format used can be sometimes a bit confusing. I'd expect next one to available any day now.
I think it’s July’19. The format is arse about face. They are normally released twice/year. Just checked on the skoda website & they have a 20/21 version out already.

I think it's 7th of November, 2019. That's when it was available. The date format used can be sometimes a bit confusing. I'd expect next one to available any day now.

Agree the latest release was Nov. 7th 2019. The files in the archive also supports that.
Hope you are right about it coming soon. It has been a long time since it was updated.

Reactions: mmi
Manual method of deletion and copy used ..... some 45 mins total.
All seems fine and working.
Update - although the base maps have been updated those on DiscoverCare haven’t, so unless you want to do the manual copy and paste method you need to await them coming through.

Update - although the base maps have been updated those on DiscoverCare haven’t, so unless you want to do the manual copy and paste method you need to await them coming through.
I’ve always gone the manual route. I could never get the Discover Care to work.

Had a few attempts with Discover Care first time updating the maps. No luck.
Manual works everytime.

Reactions: mmi
November-2020
VW_Nav_maps_2020-11_a.jpg

June-2021
VW_Nav_V14_1a.jpg

Last edited:
Back