Main-beam and dipped-beam coding

Paul Binding

T6 Pro
I know some companies make a wiring loom that makes it possible to have main beam and dipped both operating at the same time.
Is it possible to do this by coding alone ?

I know some companies make a wiring loom that makes it possible to have main beam and dipped both operating at the same time.
Is it possible to do this by coding alone ?
With H7s, yes, with VCDS so I have been told. Not Carista though.

H4s only have one bulb to do both so not possible.

Anyone know if it’s possible to do this with LED headlights.

What extra does this really give you?
My understanding is dipped is less bright and focussed closer to front of van, and main is much more wide spread, so what does having dipped on while main is on really give you?

I suppose I need to try it, but yes H7’s can be coded.

With H7s, yes, with VCDS so I have been told. Not Carista though.

H4s only have one bulb to do both so not possible.

It is possible with H4s, but the bulbs will get really hot and go pop in no time.

It was a trick used in rallying in events where auxiliary lights were not permitted. The fact that the bulbs would only last one event didn't really matter.

What extra does this really give you?
My understanding is dipped is less bright and focussed closer to front of van, and main is much more wide spread, so what does having dipped on while main is on really give you?

I suppose I need to try it, but yes H7’s can be coded.

Keeping dipped beam on keeps the foreground illuminated so main beam can be better focused for distance.

Pulling on the flasher when on dipped will put main beam on without turning dipped off. Try it, and you'll see the difference.

Now possible with carista beta version.
I've just done this today on my h7's
Any one tell me how to actually get Carista beta ?!! I’ve done what the web tells me and downloaded the TestFlight thing but I have no code to redeem ! Confused !

Did you apply to become a tester for the Beta version?
It's wasn't an instant upgrade for mine. Seem to remember having to wait a few hours.

There is no code needed once accepted.

If you've sent the debug data you should be good to go I think. Try again and see what happens. It always does a long scan the first time for each vehicle.

If you have standard H4s fitted I would not use this mode as already stated they get really really very hot and go pop. This could damage the inside of your lights and be a costly repair. I turned it off after advice from members on here,

Now possible with carista beta version.
I've just done this today on my h7's
Much appreciated @Minimucks.

I collected a lovely pair of H7s from @DeadRandom last week and got around to fitting them tonight after installing some upgraded bulbs - Carista Beta coded them perfectly in seconds.

I owe you a number of pints for the great tip! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back