M14 lower ball joint bolts.

Fromow

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone, so I’ve got some b14s to go on to my T30 4motion and looking underneath on the front end at the lower ball joint and I was wondering do people reuse the M14 spline bolts or are they like stretch bolts for one time use only, if so does anyone know of a part number or where I can order some.

On my T5 I've reused them. If they has a blob of loctite on them when they came out, I would add some when reusing them.

Note, just becasue the OEM states at torque and angle, it doesn't mean they are stretch bolts. It's just a more accurate way of torquing a bolt.

It's common for bolts like these to have a patch lock coloured blob on the thread which is actually micro bubbles of loctite. When tightening the bolt, the bubbles burst releasing the loctite. Its a cheap and cleaner manufauturing process. New bolts would be needed only to replace the loctite and hence why I sometimes reuse bolts and apply my own loctite.

Hi everyone
I have a T32 and have been advised I may have a problem with the Ball joints as tyres are wearing on the inside.
I have bought the bottom Ball joints.
Are there top Ball joints too?
Has anyone changed them and found any problems?

Thanks

Last edited:
There are mountings at the top like the ones below which also has a bearing.

The OEM lower arm inner bushes are also prone to wear, which alters the steering geometry. I noted the OEM bushes have voids in them whereas the Meyle ones I fitted are solid rubber.

Hi everyone
I have a T32 and have been advised I may have a problem with the Ball joints as tyres are wearing on the inside.

Thanks
Tyre wear equally on the inside of front tyres can be a few things. The one we never think about is. Big horsepower and a heavy foot. , the front suspension is completely mounted on rubber and harsh acceleration causes tow out. , inside tyre wear is the result. another one we don’t think about is. Speed humps. Are you the type that attacks them and straddles over them to avoid most of the bump. This puts wear on the inside of the tyres as well . Ball joints can be the cause but normally doesn’t give equal wear both sides. . Wheel alignment can also be an issue. , only tow is adjustable on these vans but. As per item one. That causes inner tyre wear. .

Hi everyone

Thanks
Problems with the top mounts often manifest them selves as a rumbling turning lock to lock. Also banging when going over bumps. Not metallic. more a thump noise.

Hi everyone

Id personally take it to get aligned first, that will either sort the problem or advise you on the actual issue ( seems strange both side have gone at the same time )

anyone know the part number of this M14 spline cap bolt? I can only find the smaller part

Back