Ocean lowering: B8 shocks or B14 coilovers?

The only way you will get those size steels are if they are banded, i'd say get those last personally. The silver van in your profile pic looks lowered already so what is the current set up?

It's got 50mm Eibach springs and 18" sport line wheels currently.
I want it to look good, but I want more comfort than I currently have - like you say, the ride is important. So I'm thinking of going with the combination of 17" steel wheels and B14's.
You can get those wheel sizes without going banded, check out Weller wheels - who can manufacture 17x8.5, x9.0, x9.5, x10 and x10.5.

Had a look last night 235/55/R17 all around, rear are just stretched as they are on 9.5 and front is 8.5

Thanks - I was thinking of 235/55 on a 9.5 as well, but a bit nervous that it doesn't offer a lot of rim protection.
The other option seems to be a 255/50, but not much available in that size.

I've been running on B14s on 20” wheels for 40k , just wandering if its worth adding H&R anti roll bars , has anyone added ARBs after they have had B14s and is there a noticeable difference in handling and general stability of the van.

I've just got a Caravelle LWB on 17" Devonports.
Coming from firmer cars, handling is important to me.
Am researching the B14's and H&R ARB but also came across these: (see below).
Anyone come across them?

Cheers,
TiaB
Followed link from UK's Bilstien website to a german company.
Looks like they may be B14 based, but adjustable.

TWIN-MONOTUBE-PROJEKT | Gewindefahrwerke & Stoßdämpfer
Google translate indicates that the Twin Monotube Lifting Suspension:
Höherlegungsfahrwerk für VW T5 und T6 ohne DCC | TWIN-MONOTUBE-PROJEKT
##########################
TWIN MONOTUBE SUSPENSION KIT
FOR VW T5 AND T6 WITHOUT DCC
VW T5 and T6 TWIN-MONOTUBE shock absorber set incl. Raising springs, extended, electronically hardness-adjustable and DCC-compatible via Plug & Play, as well as cable and switch set. For a height adjustment of approx. +35 mm (+/- 10 mm depending on equipment / weight).
total price
2870, - € RRP. - EXCL. VAT
##########################

Last edited:
A question about the H and R anti roll bars for those who ahve them.
I'm liking the idea of more neutral handling.
I have B14s on already.
So is the H and R kit a like for like swap with what's there from stock?
Did you fit front and rear ARBs.
And anyone know with a propex gas tank and other tanks and bits and bobs under there can the still be fitted?

H&R ARBs are a direct swap for the standard ARBs. Fit as a front & rear pair - you would end up with an understeer or oversteer handling balance if you fitted on or the other alone.
Given my experience I would recommend them being set to the stiffest setting.
If you have LED headlights make sure you get the kit that allows for the headlight levelling system.
As the bars are a direct replacement for stock I would be very surprised if their presence would complicate any other underside work.

Excellent news thank you.

I have a highline so I have LEDs can you expand on the need for a self leveling kit.
Also what's an approximate price for parts and fitting?

You just need to make sure that you get the correct H&R ARBs that accommodate the headlight levelling gubbins.
Can't remember how much I paid - something around £360 IIRC.

Are they fitting them themselves? Only reason I ask is because when I went back to them to get them to look at my knocking B14 (which they fitted) they palmed me off to someone else on the little trading estate, claiming that they now do all their mechanicals. Not the service i’m happy with.

The guy who used to fit them for THQ left at Christmas (think to Audi). The garage is on the same estate as before. I went back in January to go lower on the B14s this is how I found out. I know they have an agreement for that garage to fit the kit. THQ don’t have garage facilities.

Did you sort the knocking?

The guy who used to fit them for THQ left at Christmas (think to Audi). The garage is on the same estate as before. I went back in January to go lower on the B14s this is how I found out. I know they have an agreement for that garage to fit the kit. THQ don’t have garage facilities.

Did you sort the knocking?
Nope.
But the garage they use, charged me, claiming it was top mounts not shocks! All they did for the money was apparently put some grease on the mounts. Got back in the van and asked what the trim was on the carpet. “Oh yeah that’ll be the rubber seal from under the bonnet”.
Me - “so are you going to put it back on then?”
Them - “Oh, right, yeah I guess so”.
!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was knocking again by the time I got home.

Nope.
But the garage they use, charged me, claiming it was top mounts not shocks! All they did for the money was apparently put some grease on the mounts. Got back in the van and asked what the trim was on the carpet. “Oh yeah that’ll be the rubber seal from under the bonnet”.
Me - “so are you going to put it back on then?”
Them - “Oh, right, yeah I guess so”.
!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was knocking again by the time I got home.

If you have to phone back ask for Andy and let them know. That is crap service. My dealing with has been good but it usually is with anyone if you are giving pennies over.

One small annoyance regarding discounts, if you have one of their stickers they say you will be in ‘Team THQ’ and receive discounts but then don’t give the sticker until you’ve bought every item possible off them (which makes the discount pointless then). :mad:

If you have to phone back ask for Andy and let them know. That is crap service. My dealing with has been good but it usually is with anyone if you are giving pennies over.

One small annoyance regarding discounts, if you have one of their stickers they say you will be in ‘Team THQ’ and receive discounts but then don’t give the sticker until you’ve bought every item possible off them (which makes the discount pointless then). :mad:
Yeah it was Andy who I was dealing with.

I've seen a number of threads suggesting B14's are the best option for lowering, ride and handling especially with h&R's. That is swaying me to go that route but there are also comments about knocking. Has the cause been identified. I find it hard to believe it's a manufacturing problem or with the amount of problems encountered they would have sorted it by now. That only leaves installation. I do everything myself because I don't trust garages and everything would be cleaned and assembled with copper grease, then waxoiled where needed. So is there anything I would need to know about assembly to avoid that problem.
Does anyone know what the toe in/out is for the t6. I have some tracking gauges and would do a before and after check just in case.

I've seen a number of threads suggesting B14's are the best option for lowering, ride and handling especially with h&R's. That is swaying me to go that route but there are also comments about knocking. Has the cause been identified. I find it hard to believe it's a manufacturing problem or with the amount of problems encountered they would have sorted it by now. That only leaves installation. I do everything myself because I don't trust garages and everything would be cleaned and assembled with copper grease, then waxoiled where needed. So is there anything I would need to know about assembly to avoid that problem.
Does anyone know what the toe in/out is for the t6. I have some tracking gauges and would do a before and after check just in case.

No knocking with my B14s and H&R bars. Covered roughly 6000 miles on the combo now.

I'm probably going to have the super stiff ARBs fit in a few weeks once I have the funds. I like the ride of the B14s and Ifni can get it more neutral or even oversteering I'd be very chuffed.

Can someone explain about the LED self leveling kit?
I have LEDs on my highline and ARBs now so I assume as the van rolls and sways now, well I know it does! So how does the headlights self level now and why would I need a new self leveling kit? Especially if I will have hopefully less body roll?

Back