Lowering T6 to balance out a heavy rear

Jimbo01785

Hi

I have just bought at 2016 T28 T6 and I had it lowered with 50mm springs and had R20 alloys put on it. I’m not happy with the balancing of suspension. I have put some racking and a few tools in it. I haven’t really added much more weight to it. The rear arch sits a few inches lower than the front. I want the front and back to be of a equal height. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Jim

Hi

I have just bought at 2016 T28 T6 and I had it lowered with 50mm springs and had R20 alloys put on it. I’m not happy with the balancing of suspension. I have put some racking and a few tools in it. I haven’t really added much more weight to it. The rear arch sits a few inches lower than the front. I want the front and back to be of a equal height. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Jim
Hi Jim and welcome to the forum.

This is something that comes up a lot on here, the search function is useful and would return good results for this subject.

The best solution for you is a set of height adjustable coil overs, there are many different options to suit many different budgets. You can independently adjust the height of the front and back to get exactly the stance you want. As an added bonus the upgraded shocks will improve the ride and handling when compared to your current springs.

There are other options, but adjustable coil overs is the best one.

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum.

This is something that comes up a lot on here, the search function is useful and would return good results for this subject.

The best solution for you is a set of height adjustable coil overs, there are many different options to suit many different budgets. You can independently adjust the height of the front and back to get exactly the stance you want. As an added bonus the upgraded shocks will improve the ride and handling when compared to your current springs.

There are other options, but adjustable coil overs is the best one.

Thanks Chris

Are you saying strap the lowering spring I’ve just had fitted and replace them with coilover springs front and back?

Thanks Chris

Are you saying strap the lowering spring I’ve just had fitted and replace them with coilover springs front and back?
You don’t have to, there are other options, but you wouldn’t be the first person to have springs fitted and then almost immediately bin them for coil overs (I’m one of those people :rofl::rolleyes:)

You could try some rear spring spacers to raise the rear a bit, or some T32 rated 50mm lowering springs on the rear only. They are a stiffer spring so might, but only might sort the issue.

Steve @CRS Performance or Oli @BognorMotors can offer more advice, might be worth getting in touch with them.

Let me know if we can be of assistance. We fit lots of different suspension options and I’m sure we can help somehow.

Most reputable spring manufacturers don't make a 50 mm Spring . ( Eibach 30 mm and H&R 40 mm as an example ) There are however a few companies in UK who have had 50 mm springs specially made for the UK to tend to the demand for lower than normal Vans . This however , creates a problem because at 50 mm the standard shocks are not very capable and the ride gets crashy. The great thing about H&R offering 4 different spring rates at 40 mm is we can offer the right spring for each axle and this isn't always as per the Vans axle weight but we can take into account that the additional weight of conversions and mods which make the car sag at the back . If you get this wrong the rake angle ( the way the van attacks the road ) isn't correct and this affects handling and makes the steering feel light .

Firstly don't think that because the springs aren't doing what you want , you must bin them . The ride and handling can easily be sorted with a sport shock , these are more comfortable than the often recommended Coil over or sleeve over kits that are popular on these forums and they are a cheaper solution .
The reason coil overs are recommended is because the height of the van can be adjusted to get the look you want . Unfortunately Height adjustable kits weren't meant to adjust height to compensate for additional weight that a standard van would have . What is actually happening is that the spring is being pre tensioned and its available movement is then limited , there is more than enough evidence of poor travel on the rear spring and the subsequent problems this gives .

My recommendation would be first < Measure the Rake of the van as it is now ( sill height to the ground just behind the front wheel compared to the sill height to the ground in front of the rear wheel . a standard unmolested Van is 40 mm lower in front than the rear. ) this measurement is important to keep the van handling correct and feeling proper .
Fit sport shocks to get the ride and comfort nice if budget allows
then
Fit a spacer on the rear spring to get the angle correct , this doesn't pretension the spring and maintains travel , so more comfortable .

Let me know if you need more advise , and please don't throw things out just yet

Jim , glad all turned out well and you are happy . its a great pity springs weren't ideally suited to the van, but note to self stick to H&R springs

Back