Lowered suspension to Lifted?

Lemonski

Hi Folks

Being in rural Scotland and owning a 4Motion LWB I am thinking of possibly going up with my suspension.
One of reasons being getting it set up properly up here with a low set up, but as i spend a lot of time exploring
narrow bumpy roads up here in Northern Scotland ( and snow ) it may make sense to lift the van.

Currently I am on KW Coilover lowered about 60mm from OEM with Factory 18" Sportline alloys.

Has anyone gone from this setup or similar and had something like a set of Bilsten B6 with a 35mm to 45mm lift over OEM?
I have also been looking at something like the Rhino 17" ( or 18" ) alloys with maybe General Grabber tyres or similar.

So I am interested in the ride? Much floatier with this sort of set up? Comfier especially with higher profile tyre on smaller rims.

Are these tires noisy? Any feedback would be great regarding these swamper set ups over lowered.

Thanks everyone

Lee

You need to talk to Steve at @CRS Performance - tell him what you’re doing with your van and he will prescribe the most appropriate solution (NOT a solution that makes him the most profit!)

He has a very good reputation on here for that very reason!

You need to talk to Steve at @CRS Performance - tell him what you’re doing with your van and he will prescribe the most appropriate solution (NOT a solution that makes him the most profit!)

He has a very good reputation on here for that very reason!

Hi JOG

Yes Steve has already been very helpful with info regarding my current set up.

I was just trying to get a feel from people that have used these lifted kits to get a feel of the drive etc.

If it was not such a mammoth drive I would go down and have Steve sort my van out. Although I may still do that as I am onto my third garage up here and gettign a bit tired of driving about trying to have stuff sorted. The time I have wasted I could have driven south and saved time!!!

Thanks for the recommendation though.

Have you got a someone you trust to work on your van? I’m sure that Steve would ship the parts and provide telephone support to your fitter! I must emphasise, I am in no way way affiliated to Steve or his company!!!

Important to note that a small lift 20 mm from Standard will give the best comfort result you can get from a Transporter suspension . Lots of travel to absorb the bumps

Big lifts can cause issues allowing suspension arms to move into places they shouldn't. .

I had a 50mm lowering kit on banded wheels and Steve @CRS recently fitted my 17" Monotube Project wheels on BFG Goodrich tyres on Koni Shocks using standard springs. Ends up 20mm lifted and I have to say the results are incredible.
Unbelievably comfortable, the absorption and compression of potholes are fantastic and Im enjoying the additional height. The wheels are no noisier than what Im used to and it's great not having to worry as much.
I do a lot of kayaking, paddle boarding, dog walking etc.. so its much more practical.

I love the look of banded wheels on a low van but I don't think I will be back. ;)

I had a 50mm lowering kit on banded wheels and Steve @CRS recently fitted my 17" Monotube Project wheels on BFG Goodrich tyres on Koni Shocks using standard springs. Ends up 20mm lifted and I have to say the results are incredible.
Unbelievably comfortable, the absorption and compression of potholes are fantastic and Im enjoying the additional height. The wheels are no noisier than what Im used to and it's great not having to worry as much.
I do a lot of kayaking, paddle boarding, dog walking etc.. so its much more practical.

I love the look of banded wheels on a low van but I don't think I will be back. ;)

Hi Redecal

Thanks very much for the feedback on lowered to lifted, super helpful.

Steve has already been a great help and I wish I was closer to him.

Food for thought re your set up. Do you have a side pic of your van handy with your new higher set up and wheels?
Love to see the look with that wheel combo

Thanks again

Lee

Damn that looks good, get thee behind me Satan :D
How do you find the handling? The thing that drove me to B14s and a drop was the horrendous handling on stock suspension where the van needed both lanes going round a roundabout. Like you, this set up would be far more practical but I don’t want to feel I’m driving a balloon on stilts again.
Well I wouldn’t say I’m racing it around roundabouts but the handling is no worse than when it was lowered. The van is a 180 and I used to race bikes so I probably don’t hang about either tbh

The support is better from the suspension especially under braking.
There certainly isn’t much body roll laterally, not enough for me to notice or give me any concern at least.
The ride is far plusher. Pot holes and speed humps no longer bother me at all.
I was going to go 30-35mm lifted initially but Steve convinced me to give this a go first.
in my opinion, he’s right

@CRS Performance Hi Steve, I'm bringing my van in to you on Saturday.
Would you expect a similar lifting effect from the Koni's on my T5.1 using standard springs?
Revdecal's stance looks good to me!

@CRS Performance Hi Steve, I'm bringing my van in to you on Saturday.

Would you expect a similar lifting effect from the Koni's on my T5.1 using standard springs?
Revdecal's stance looks good to me!
Hi There

The KONI shocks themselves wont and dont lift the van . Its what we do with springs and or spacers that lift the van .

a straight forward lift kit ( 4 spacers ) gives the height and the KONI shocks give the ride AND handling characteristics

does your mobile end in 351 sir .

My Diary has a name only sorry ??

@CRS Performance
Hi, Yes that's my mobile. Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying.
I was using the images and comments from Revdeca's posts to gauge what my van might look like after the suspension has been changed as he appears to have ordered a similar set-up.
I should have asked if you'd expect my van to have a similar appearance with regard to the arch gap as Revdecal's once you've fitted the standard springs and new shocks?
Or did Revdecal have spacers added in addition?

Back