Lowered 70mm on 20s - does it look *low* or not?

Sorry to hijack. @Scrabby67 I’m having the same dilemma hence finding this thread. I’m booked in for these wheels and twin adjust sensitive or bilstein komforts (I cannot decide!).

This set up looks excellent. What kit did you use and how are you finding it? I was thinking 70mm drop and wondered if I would be better going 70mm on So Low’s so they were pretty much at full height.

Mine is a camper and my only worry is it needs to be practical without the risk of bottoming out anywhere.
You should be concerned about bottoming out and sadly the kits you are looking at bottom out way to quickly due the poor design , have a rethink and talk to someone who can put all this into perspective and more importantly make sense from an engineering point of view

Hi all,

Those of you down around 70mm on 20 inch wheels, would you describe the van looking low, or just right? Having a hard time deciding what I want to go with so any pictures would be great.

I know there are lots of choices and ride height is only part of the decision making process, but seeing how things look at this height might help me pull my finger out and get it done!

Thanks

This is dropped 65mm on 20’s. Look nice and low without sacrificing ride quality. I have H&R coilovers from @CRS Performance

IMG_2940.jpeg

The tyre size is 245/40/20. That's a 103 load rating. The alloys are 9", ET38 with a 20mm spacer on the rear to fine tune the fitment to the lip.

245/40 20 is very close to 275/35/20 circumference which VW recommend as the correct size for 20" alloys.

I don't have any issues with rubbing anywhere. It still gives me quite a bit of ground clearance. I use my van for a lot of fishing where I'm quite often driving down rough country roads with grass growing in the middle and I don't have any issues.

I was running 255/40/20 before that (when I had the B14 komforts) and they looked just a tiny bit too big and would have probably rubbed at the drop I'm at now.

Another pic from a different angle:

View attachment 201019
what is the ground clearance now? I am in between wether go solow on highest setting with 245/40 or nsl with lowest setting.

what is the ground clearance now? I am in between wether go solow on highest setting with 245/40 or nsl with lowest setting.

My front bumper and start of side sill are 8” off the floor. The rear of my sill near the back wheel is 9” off the floor and the rear bumper is 10” from the floor.

I don't normally post pictures here as I've a T5.1 but think my experience is worth sharing. I'm on the original SoLows so that's 100mm minimum even on a 2.0 TDi Manual T28. I've a full camper conversion in the rear and did find the rear SoLow's springs a little soft, the ride however was excellent, better than my previous Koni Short Sports / Eibach comfort lows 50/60. To overcome the issue I'm now using the Eibach 50/60 rear springs from my previous set up with out the adjuster (adjuster delete). So its a kinda hybrid solution and expensive (springs alone are nearly 500 but I can see why). Just back here from a round Ireland trip, fully loaded up, bikes hanging of the rear bike rack and absolutely no issues, never rubbed etc.

I also have 9X20 ET42 running 255/40's with a 15mm spacer on the rear and H&R antiroll bars, no rubbing, no bottoming out. I trimmed a little off the rubber part of the rear bump stops when I was using the rear SoLow springs but still plenty left, doubt I'd need to with the current setup.

vt51_a.jpg
van_loaded.jpg

Last edited:
It’s a H&R coil over kit so fully adjustable front and rear, the rear springs have adjusters on them.
Also had H&R anti-roll bars fitted at the same time.

Looks great, what tyres are you running there ?
255/35/20. Using ‘Will they fit’ they were the closest in circumference to my original 205/65/16 tyres making the speedo more or less spot on.
They’re very low profile and only available in budget brands in the correct load rating but I couldn’t be doing with wider tyres rubbing or the speedo being out using a taller profile.

Back