Lowered 30/40mm with Koni shocks

Had a 406 mile round trip to CRS suspension today and boy was it worth it :)

Van lowered 30 / 40 mm with Koni shocks

Good Bits,
Van level and just the height we wanted
Very smooth to drive compared to the original set up
Very little roll

Very Good Bits,
Awning rattles greatly reduced
Very pleased with noise reduction in van

Bad Bits,
Chucked it down most of the way home:(

Pics below before and after
Yes I know looks a different color but the same van

Thanks to the guys at CRS money well spent PHOTO-2020-10-05-18-31-43.jpg

Hi Squashman,

That a great looking job - van colour is great too. Quick question: what size wheels are you running on?

I have been considering changing out the suspension on my 2018 California purely for comfort reasons - I'm not thrashing it about the place, I just don't like the "roll" etc.

Best of luck,

JOG

Hi there,

Running 18 inch wheels
As have said very impressed with how much quieter the van is also a week on really enjoying driving as much less roll
Speak to the guys at CRS you wont be disappointed
Best £900 ish spent on van

Cheers

Hiya,

Thanks for your speedy response. I'm running on 17" wheels, so they won't be an issue. My Cali is an everyday car, so the investment could be could be worth it. (I just need to negotiate with "Senior Management" on the outlay - I wonder if "call it an xmas present" would count?!!)

As a matter of interest, what made you go for Koni rather than Bilstein (that I see coming up on the forum a lot)?

A call to the guys at CRS is in order, I reckon!

Best of luck

Hi again,

Went with them as numerous recommendations on the forum

Knew I made the right decision when took a wrong turning at the industrial estate looking for CRS and this guy popped out of a unit waving his arms downwards and asking if I was another one getting my van lowered and pointed me in the right direction

Just to add the 3 guys at CRS all worked on the van and ready in 2 hours for my test drive to make sure happy with outcome

Cheers

Ha ha ha........you're a mind-reader!!! My first unspoken query was a ball-park figure on cost. My second unspoken query was how long they had your van for. You should get a commission from CRS for sales! Cannock is only about 2 hours up the road for me............! So long as I could get online for work, I could get it done on a weekday!!!

Thanks for input - it is great help for someone like me who isn't mechanical.

Cheers

Hi Squash Man,

Just had a call with Steve of @CRS Performance and chatted through my "issues" which seem to stem from standard VW running gear. As I also want to tow a hoofing, great, big twin-axle caravan with my California (for "Summer Holidays") I am not going to lower. However, I am going to upgrade the shocks to Koni, as you did. Steve suggested I look at the rear rollbar too...........and, after scrabbling about under the van with a tape measure (yep, I am that technical!) it looks like a 22mm bar. These guys can put a 30mm bar on which should help more. Either which way, "Do your shock absorbers, at least" is the advice I've been given.

Now, the question is whether I seek permission from Senior Management (Domestic Front) before booking in my van, or just do it and seek forgiveness afterwards?!! Dangerous territory straight after a "What's the Xmas budget to spend on the boys this Xmas?" conversation!

Once again, thanks for pointing me in the direction of CRS Performance last night.

Regards,

JOG

Glad you got sorted out, better to do it right the first time and save on any expensive mistakes ( try that with her that must be obeyed ! )

I've still to negotiate that conversation with my senior management, waiting for a appropriate moment ;)

Good luck and hope all turns out well

as a handling issue it improves safety!
- that was my sales pitch to Mrs Trouts (helps with the ARB's too!) :thumbsup:

Hi all,

I told Senior Management about the advice to "Get the shocks done at least" and waited until I had the house to myself to book in with Steve at @CRS Performance for 26th October. I'm also having the ARBs done at the same time as my rear ARB is only 22mm and also going on the "do it right the first time" advice from @Squash Man - remember I had the house to myself when booking!

Because I'm a coward, when Senior Management returned, I only mentioned that I had booked the van in for the 26th, not that I'm having the ARBs done too. "But, that's half-term!" was the complaint!

I will post an update when the work is done, but I'm hopeful of a positive impact. If I don't post an update, you'll know Senior Management left me dying in a ditch for my escapades rather than a poorly handling California.

Regards,

JOG

PS - I should add that "Senior Management" is significantly more of a "petrol head" than I will ever be; loves driving; understands handling; and, is a much better driver than me!!!

PS - I should add that "Senior Management" is significantly more of a "petrol head" than I will ever be; loves driving; understands handling; and, is a much better driver than me!!!

That should buy you enough brownie points!

Had a 406 mile round trip to CRS suspension today and boy was it worth it :)

Van lowered 30 / 40 mm with Koni shocks

Good Bits,
Van level and just the height we wanted
Very smooth to drive compared to the original set up
Very little roll

Very Good Bits,
Awning rattles greatly reduced
Very pleased with noise reduction in van

Bad Bits,
Chucked it down most of the way home:(

Pics below before and after
Yes I know looks a different color but the same van

Thanks to the guys at CRS money well spent View attachment 87276
So glad I got the shock too. Steve @CRS Performance is the man.

Back