Low temperature lithium battery

Do you think the low temp one is needed in the UK then, would standard be ok as long as you left enough charge to start the night heater to warm the area the battery is in?

Thanks.
I have had my power road for coming up to 3 years. I’ve used it in various skil resorts. A few time I have received a warning that it is to cold to charge, the internal heater has brought it up to temp within 10 mins.

However it has also happened a couple of time in the UK. If a night heater will warm it up then I see no issue but what is the difference in cost?

I have had my power road for coming up to 3 years. I’ve used it in various skil resorts. A few time I have received a warning that it is to cold to charge, the internal heater has brought it up to temp within 10 mins.

However it has also happened a couple of time in the UK. If a night heater will warm it up then I see no issue but what is the difference in cost?
Thanks for the info, I have just checked and the price is nominal so I have just ordered the heated one.

Yes standard is fine for UK camping.

The battery has internal low temp protection....and will block any charge untill it's warmed up a bit.

Just an update on what I have observed with my Renogy Lithium 100AH self heating battery.

The temperature in the van at 09-00 this morning was -7 on the heater controller and -6 on the battery. The van has been plugged in to EHU overnight so the battery was at 100% and the bluesmart charger was therefore in storage. I have found out this this means the self heating function does not kick in as it needs to receive a 4a feed. I originally thought that the self heat function would kick in to keep the batt above 5deg but this is not the case.

It’s not really an issue for me but I thought others may benefit from how the heating function works.

I think that makes sense, in general it's not advised to keep lithium cells at float as it decreases lifetime, so no point kicking the heaters in until there is a definite need to charge.

The Renogy heated had two heaters that need 4A each.

So 8A charge source is needed for correct operation.

I think they added that to the user manual..

I'll double check and pay here.

edit:

4A per battery - so charger needs to be 5A plus for the heater to work.
+++

Self-heating FunctionThe normal operation of the self-heating function requires a stable charge current greater than 4Afor each battery in the parallel battery bank. The self-heating function will start operating automatically once the battery and the battery temperature drops below 41°F (5°C) and stop operatingautomatically once the battery temperature rises above 50°F (10°C).

+++

1705595185815.png

1705595245659.png

Last edited:
There is another issue I've come across when using heated lithium batterys.

Some chargers have low temp charge disabling, that shut off the power when the temperature is low.

For example the victron lithium profile disables charge below 5 degrees C.

But with heated lithium batteries we need the charge source just stay on to run the heaters.

So for the people out there that have heated lithium batteries. Remember to check your charge source settings and unplug or disable the temperature monitor / settings.

On my renogy dcdc charger I've left the temperature probe disconnected and you can see in the app the temperature defaults to 25 degrees C. This enables the charger so working Sub-Zero temperatures.

eg on Renogy DCDC with NO temp sensor plugged in:

-3 outside but charger defaults to 25c.

1705595425042.png

1705595393980.png1705595438625.png

Last edited:
I've added the Renogy dc-dc temp sensor.

20240118_163751.jpg20240118_164319.jpg

Now we can see the Renogy charger showing 7degC.

Screenshot_20240118_164300_DC Home.jpg

I'll retest in the morning.

That's the great thing about Victron.

You can tweek the settings via the app.

As you have with your SuperB battery, and disabled the low temp cut off and saved that as a new profile.

Im running a Vic MPPT in the solar shed,..... But have a mix of heated and non heated lithiums in a @Dellmassive battery box stack... So for now I'm running the default profile. Which is low temp charging disabled.

20240109_134235.jpg

Screenshot_20240118_203828.jpg

Last edited:
heres the Renogy DC-DC with the temp sensor added. . . .

-2.0 ouside van . .

1705653962258.png

Renogy temp sensor set here floating about.

1705653985706.png

APP now reads -1.0 as has a warning - Lithium low temp protection.

1705654040067.png1705654058733.png

the Victron shut agrees and shows -1.0c temp

1705654113030.png

warming us the Renogy temp sensor with my hands to 8.0c, the low temp warning clears and the charger starts charging again.

1705654173546.png

30A to the Fogstar drift in this case.

1705654202492.png

+

note that you cant change the LTP setting on the Renogy APP. so to alow charging below 0c you need to unplug the temp sensor - provided you have a heater battery.

Last edited:
Back