Love is the DUB

toonaroon

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have always been interested in the motor vehicle world and spent much of my early life working in the motor trade, and in fact there are not many classics or prestige vehicles I have not been in, either as a passenger or a driver, including H.G.V'S , but I must say that I have never seen or felt such a overwhelming addiction or fixation for any other vehicle.
At 55 I should be planting a vegetable patch and going to bed at 9.30 but no I'm on this forum and loving it.
I only wish the bags under my eyes were full with money so I could spend on my new T6.
Hope you like this Thread.......

It is a crazy and addictive world this VW life.
I am only a boy in it, with minimal knowledge but that is the beauty! There are some with more, some with less, we all share and grow with said knowledge and joy of 'Dubs'

We wanted a camper but were never set on getting a VW, in fact we nearly settled on a Ford Transit based camper from Wellhouse Leisure. However, now we have our T6 we all love it and are starting to understand and feel the love for the Transporter and marque a lot more.

Yes I came from looking for a camper to VW rather than the other way too, but I'd find it hard to have anything else now :thumbsup:

Having said that, my VW enthusiasm is only for the Transporter, I have zero interest in VW cars, except maybe for early beetles and possibly the Kharman Ghia

The VW thing is a strange one, maybe for people my age it is more rational. I was young certainly there were millions of Beetles on the road, they had a reputation for bomb proof reliability so when looking for a camper (or caravanette as they were known then) the T2 was the obvious choice. From there I suppose some brand loyalty came in, again, certainly for me when we were looking for another camper a few years ago the T2 was the obvious choice, sadly family events took over and the Bay had to go so a more modern transporter seemed to be the logical choice as a replacement.

This is our fleet from the late 70s, the beetle mine and the Westie my parents', the westie eventually became mine immediately after the Falklands war as I got sent up to Faslane for the navy's safety. It took me 100% reliably up the Durness area every leave I had where I could be alone and surf and become me again. The winter and summer of 82/83 was where my real fondness of VW really stems

DSC00001.JPG

It seems quite strange though how the T"x" love affair has become so popular, maybe they are and always have been the models with the most after market bits to be had making it easier to individualise them? God knows but whatever it suits me for it to be this way :thumbsup:

We've had loads of VWs as a family; dad had the 7th Mk1 Gti in Britain, vans, other Golfs (I had a new Mk4 R32 which I loved) but I've never really got the "scene" thing. They make good stuff but also rubbish stuff and like @Davenjo we looked at Transit conversions too after shocking reliability with our last Cali; but we came back and it's nice to be "back" but is not for the brand; no one else does a powerful 4wd camper!

The whole scene thing isn't me at all; I find it more like baggage than a good thing.

Same with the BMW; bad owner image, great car. The Subaru seems to just about get away from the chavvy Impreza image and is almost invisible; I like that.

when I was 21 I bought a T4 and did a crude conversion out of ply and used it for perusing my passion of outdoor activities. I used the T4forum and it was brilliant, occasionally someone bit at a remark but generally it was pleasant. The help was amazing and through the site local meets were arranged where I found countless owners willing to give me lowering springs/Wheels and things to help me mod my van. Sadly I couldnt make the career stick and picked up a job 30 miles away which on paper was fantastic and sadly sold the T4 for an A3 (better mpg)
Nice car but always something missing. Job flopped and then I struck lucky,
New job and new feeling of job security, saved up and this year bought my T6. That fuzzy feeling has returned. You can often get more for less money with other makes and models but deep down it wouldn't be a Dub.
Over the moon with the van and again amazed at all the help, feedback and resources from the forum and it's users. Looking forward to meeting a few of you all at up and coming shows.
Big thanks to all the guys involved with the forum for creating such a useful resource. And to everyone reading this as we all make this forum what it is today. Credit to everyone. :thumbsup:

Back