Looks like AppConnect has finally been cracked!!

Jimmy T6

Hi

My dealer is quoting £168.07 + VAT to install the activation code for APP connect on the Discover Media unit of my T6.

Is there any other way of doing this? Or am I tied in to the dealer?

cheers
Jim

I think it's a dealer only job. You might need your USB on the dash upgrading to an Apple compatible one too if you want carplay.

How much was it, to get it added by the dealer?.....I've just been quoted by Listers in Coventry £250.....seems a lot.

Mine came to a total of £240 including a new USB and Connector - with FOC fitting as it took them two attempts

OK so £168+VAT is sounding cheap!

Has anyone managed to get it to work over bluetooth from an Android phone? Or does it always need a cable?

cheers, Jim

AFAIK it always has to be plugged in
Just be aware if they have quoted you for code only apple devices will not work without changing USB socket

Wireless Carplay and Android Auto is on it’s way but as far as I gather will need new dedicated stereos, existing ones won’t be compatible.

im sure it doesnt have to dealers only, just a garage with ODIS system to connect to factory
Your right ODIS (online) is required to input the code but not many people/places have this outside of a main dealer

I can imagine that will work flawlessly
It's actually not bad because it uses WiFi rather than bluetooth to stream. I don't see the point personally cos I'd want my phone plugged in charging when I was driving anyway so it may as well be plugged into Carplay

339128AF-442A-4CFE-8AE3-A81AFF540B18.jpeg Had mine activated at VW in Inverness for £216 inc VAT, but it wouldn’t work with my iPhone and thanks to the guys on here I found out it was the usb that needed changed at a cost of £30. They didn’t know this at the dealer so posted out the part to me and I also had to use VCDS to activate usb iPhone functionality.
250 sounds about right if they are including the USB port.
Seems a bit strange to have app connect prep done from the factory and it has the wrong USB port.

Hi guys, just came back from my local dealership. I was told that I cannot get app connect activated on my discovery media unit because it is missing one of the two PR codes that are required. Have you heard anything about this? Cheers

Hmm, I think I have this to come. The dealer told me the phone needs to be plugged in to work but when I got the van home its asking for a code.

Voice button asks for a code too, is this something we can pay the dealer to turn on for a small fee (or even a more commonplace large fee)

Hmm, I think I have this to come. The dealer told me the phone needs to be plugged in to work but when I got the van home its asking for a code.

Voice button asks for a code too, is this something we can pay the dealer to turn on for a small fee (or even a more commonplace large fee)
voice button (short press) is voice control of the head unit like play radio 2 etc.
Long press activates carplay etc.
Both require activation but do different functions.

Hi all,

Anyone heard of activating remotely the app connect function on the head unit.

I’m being told by someone who does it that this is possible.
Before I decide I wanted to ask to see if anyone has had this done.

Many thanks

It is possible and it is a great feature.
The going rate is around £100 which unlocks CarPlay and the voice activation feature.
you need a blank SD Card and a computer that will upload to SD card.
you will also need the compatible USB socket in your van.

Back